Chaos

Developer Diary #6 - Community Feedback

Would there be a BETA to test server performance and such aswell or straight launch?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, yannickboy15 said:

Would there be a BETA to test server performance and such aswell or straight launch?

We're doing internal / staff only testing pre-launch for bugs, RP capabilities and performance. The first public launch will be considered a beta.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniels said:

We've put a lot of effort into optimizing both server and client code. For example, our script is highly parallel so makes use of multi-core CPU's. Can you provide info on your current spec and what issues you encounter on MTA?

My fps decreases to 15-20 in crowded areas in server. My graphic card is Nvidia GeForce GT840M, 12GB RAM and Intel i7-4712MQ 2.30GHz.

I also get drops in GTA V story mode, to about 25-30 (raises up back to 50-60 in each 10 min, then drops). I was tried a roleplay server in GTA Network recently and my FPS was like 5-10. I am afraid to have the same struggle in Owl's GTA V server too.

1 hour ago, Daniels said:

The current plan is to use default GTA V vehicles and handling since both the vehicles and the handling mimic real life vehicles. 

Seeing how mechanic RP is quite popular on MTA, how would stuff like engine mods work if the cars are just the GTA V cars RPly? Would there be predefined parts that you can buy for each specific car, or would it be as simple as going into a place such as Los Santos Customs (Or whatever it could be) and clicking a few buttons and you would end up with a modified car? Or would there be no performance mods of any kind?

• Like 3

I mean, this seems so exciting  and I appreciate all the tile that’s put into this but the community would be separated in half and I am sure about it.

MTA Server - Home of toasters 

OwlV - Home of people with a sugar daddy

Reason goes on common sense, why would someone play San Andreas over GtA V?

16 minutes ago, Renny said:

Seeing how mechanic RP is quite popular on MTA, how would stuff like engine mods work if the cars are just the GTA V cars RPly? Would there be predefined parts that you can buy for each specific car, or would it be as simple as going into a place such as Los Santos Customs (Or whatever it could be) and clicking a few buttons and you would end up with a modified car? Or would there be no performance mods of any kind?

It would be a good idea to be implemented if some permitted mechanics has ability to add turbo, engine upgrade etc.

When it comes to build 1500 HP drift cars etc. People can roleplay what the vehicle actually looks like. Example, you want to make a drift modded Annis Elegy. You can roleplay tuning it like you are tuning a Nissan R35 GT-R since the vehicle is based on that model. 

Edited by GeroXy

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

Unfortunately, we currently have zero support for dogs who wish to carry a backpack:
KNlBzRl.jpg

DOG DLC CONFIRMED, I CAN FINALLY ROLEPLAY BEING A PITBULL FOR MY GANG INSTEAD OF A NORMAL CHARACTER.

• Like 4

Mad love for this project.

I want to give some feedback on the drugs idea and also on the clothing.

First off, like you said, the drugs should indeed have benefits and consequences scritpwise.

Weed (+15 HP MAX), no addiction.

Cocaine (+30-50 HP MAX), addictive unless going to rehab. Withdrawal should put you in a loop animation or something where you can't get out of it and require medical assistance.

So on and so forth, that's just an idea.

For the clothing script, your character should only have 1-2 of each clothing part to choose from at the beginning, maybe have peds as well.

Certain clothes should be more expensive than others, there's Supreme (Bigness), Gucci / Louis Vuitton ( don't know the exact name, but there's a few pieces that remake these brands), Rolex watches (Crowex) and should be way more expensive than your regular Binco clothing.

Edited by Matey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, yannickboy15 said:

RageMP is very well optimized, I'm getting 2x the performance I get on MTA and I'm playing on very high settings. (80-110 FPS)

Although, it is facing desync when it comes to brawls and shootouts. (guns barely deal damge and unless you're running and spamming left click you won't win a brawl and you'll fight for ages)

ezgif-5-97d6b823f0.gif

ImaginativeRipeAfghanhound-max-14mb.gif

(feel free to delete these .gifs if necessary, no advertising intended)

Edited by Matey
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Chaos said:

Unfortunately, we currently have zero support for dogs who wish to carry a backpack:
KNlBzRl.jpg

Nice touch: When it snows in GTA V, world objects gather snow also:

If you're hungry, GTA 5 now has high definition tacos.
qaBEx0F.jpg

funny man chaos right @Mogs lool

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, GeroXy said:

It would be a good idea to be implemented if some permitted mechanics has ability to add turbo, engine upgrade etc.

When it comes to build 1500 HP drift cars etc. People can roleplay what the vehicle actually looks like. Example, you want to make a drift modded Annis Elegy. You can roleplay tuning it like you are tuning a Nissan R35 GT-R since the vehicle is based on that model.

Though this may confusion unless the vehicle has a description of something like "(( IS A 2017 NISSAN R35 GT-R))" as different people may want to RP their cars as different years or models if that were the case. And there'd be some people sticking to the GTA V names. Below is just a convo I had a while ago with someone when the topic of Owl V using the GTA V car names as the actual car names came up.

image.png.893464e1d953c7795c096694613c1888.png

Also, what about vehicle import companies, would they then just import cars with GTA V names, but then where would the prices of cars come from? Might as well have different NPC dealerships selling all of the different cars. And if all of the prices are the same (i.e. if all Elegies are the same price) then that'd affect auctions too, pretty much making sure that auction buyouts never go past the NPC dealership price because if they do, what would be the point in buying from the auction if the NPC would be cheaper?

Just a "small" (Not really small for people like the VT as handling and stuff would need to be changed individually) thing like no longer having real life names on cars can affect the server in many more ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renny said:

Though this may confusion unless the vehicle has a description of something like "(( IS A 2017 NISSAN R35 GT-R))" as different people may want to RP their cars as different years or models if that were the case. And there'd be some people sticking to the GTA V names. Below is just a convo I had a while ago with someone when the topic of Owl V using the GTA V car names as the actual car names came up.

Also, what about vehicle import companies, would they then just import cars with GTA V names, but then where would the prices of cars come from? Might as well have different NPC dealerships selling all of the different cars. And if all of the prices are the same (i.e. if all Elegies are the same price) then that'd affect auctions too, pretty much making sure that auction buyouts never go past the NPC dealership price because if they do, what would be the point in buying from the auction if the NPC would be cheaper?

Just a "small" (Not really small for people like the VT as handling and stuff would need to be changed individually) thing like no longer having real life names on cars can affect the server in many more ways.

How about, no imports, and no irl brands, lets get back to basics, all cars are in the npc dealership, and every car is moddified on the LS custom shops to the max that Rockstar planned, mechanics fix and tow vehicles. Everyone should have the right to have tunned cars even if they don't have the rp, nobody should pay 50k to have it modded, do roleplay of modding it if you want to. What i do believe should be fixed is the "elegy custom" and so on, which should be re-named, as Elegy classic, or maybe, add years to the cars, say, the buffalo S is the dodge from 2013? 2013 Bravado Buffalo. #KeepThePricesRealistic #AddsTurbo,CarIsNowWorth200k 

Also, keeping the Rockstar names, since the vehicles are HD opens something new, custom vehicles that could be implemented on the server, such as:

A regina sedan, not just the normal station wagon.

1479513326_2.jpg

A rancher pickup truck:

b8943b-GTA5%202017-09-11%2021-02-28-114.

Sadler retro:

b47363-GTA5%202018-07-22%2002-50-00-480.

Mule recovery:

25cee1-20171205071230_1.jpg

And much more.

Why have real life vehicles, when you can add cars that look like them, but would be on the game, unlike MTA? You can still say hey, look at my dodge challenger or what ever, but it would be a choice of your own, instead of scripting tons of cars that make the server slower, you can make the server slower with new HD GTA V vanilla cars, and even add visual mods to them. VT still can be a thing, their task would change into making/adding custom vehicles to the server, and fixing bugs on existing ones.

P.S.: No more imports, but rather player ran dealerships, who buy cars from players, and sell them to other players for a profit.

Edited by TheNeonGuy
  • Like 3

are blimps blacklisted, asking for a mate

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Renny said:

Lets quit importing bullshit already. People imports cars in server like it’s so easy and 2 week process.

VT can publish a list of cars that will be roleplayed as certain IRL model. By saying this, i don’t mean to change vehicle’s name. Just roleplay mechanical features like size of engine, cylinders or technological features etc.

Looks amazing guys! Eagerly waiting for the release date :)

11 minutes ago, TheNeonGuy said:

How about, no imports, and no irl brands, lets get back to basics, all cars are in the npc dealership, and every car is moddified on the LS custom shops to the max that Rockstar planned, mechanics fix and tow vehicles. Everyone should have the right to have tunned cars even if they don't have the rp

And going back to the basics would mean there would be less RP like I mentioned before. The things you've mentioned such as no imports, no irl brands, not having to do RP to tune your car really sound like an RPG server (RP servers and RPG servers are different things), and just like on MTA there is a massive difference in quality between a good RP server like Owl and all of those brazilian (And many, many other) RPG servers. Speaking from experience after spending some time on one of these "RPG" servers, not only is the quality of the server as a whole a lot worse but there is no such thing as RP on them, it's a big DMfest. On such servers you just choose to buy a car which is based on the MTA models, if you want to tune it you would just go to a building, click some buttons, pay the money and you'll have a tuned car with nitrous or w/e you wanted. You want to buy a gun? Easy, just go into an ammunation and buy one, no questions asked. You want to rob a house? Easy, it's built in as a script, you just right click on a house and rob it. You just got killed by the police in a shootout? No problem, just respawn with no penalties. Pretty much just the singleplayer game, but with multiplayer.

The reason that Owl doesn't have as many issues is that RP is enforced and required for major things such as vehicle tuning. If there was no RP required to increase your car's performance and instead all you had to do was go into LSC and click a few buttons to fully tune your car, what would make my Elegy unique from someone else's who fully tuned it too. And you said that people who would want to RP can do so ("do roleplay of modding it if you want to"), well judging from how many people don't RP unless required, and doing the roleplay if you just wanted to but were not required to would count as passive RP, what would be the point?

47 minutes ago, TheNeonGuy said:

custom vehicles that could be implemented on the server

Even though the vehicles you listed are no larger than 10MB, getting more custom vehicles would be going against:

9 hours ago, Daniels said:

It would need to be a custom model/texture - the ones shown above are part of GTA 5. We are trying to avoid custom models/textures in V because due to the game being HD, they can run into the 100mb range each - we don't want a large download to play Owl.

49 minutes ago, TheNeonGuy said:

No more imports, but rather player ran dealerships, who buy cars from players, and sell them to other players for a profit.

As for this, the profit wouldn't be great at all as NPC Dealerships would have their prices, and many players would be stingy and would not want to sell vehicles for lower than the price they get it for. And then the player run dealerships could only sell the vehicles for a cheaper price than the NPC dealerships effectively making them junker dealerships.

1 hour ago, TheNeonGuy said:

nobody should pay 50k to have it modded

Then don't pay and do it yourself. The mechanics are only charging you that much for the sake of convenience of doing it for you. I'm no mechanic irl but after watching many in-depth guides, reading handbooks/guides and other stuff it's really not as difficult as you would think. Of course, real life experience does help a lot, but it's not like you can't do anything without irl experience.

1 hour ago, TheNeonGuy said:

#KeepThePricesRealistic #AddsTurbo,CarIsNowWorth200k

As for this, yes this is a massive issue (Especially with car's that have just a engine swap and a turbo going for 500k+) caused by retards slow people actually buying said cars for a shitload of money so they can actually gofestmen. It caught on and most people are just doing it to make money nowadays really. I believe this could be prevented by rather than having to make a request for a performance mod and having to have it approved before you do the RP, you should be able to just send the RP in first and have the request based on that. Sure that'd mean there would probably be more modified cars out on the streets, but the prices wouldn't be as stupid (But rather, be more competitive). But with the very low amount of people in VT and the team getting smaller (@Park could give you a rant about it), I don't see how changes like that could happen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bartman said:

now that I'm no longer staff I can say this frankly - The car community never added any substantive roleplay anyone cared about and it never will.

Go back to GTA car names and everyone is happy.

Right, but vehicles are still a large part of the MTA server, and taking away something that everyone takes for granted such as names of cars can have effects on other parts of the server too like I said before.

3 minutes ago, Renny said:

Right, but vehicles are still a large part of the MTA server, and taking away something that everyone takes for granted such as names of cars can have effects on other parts of the server too like I said before.

They're a large part of the MTA server for a very small minority of players who rice/statwhore. No one else particularly cares whether their supercar says Lamborghini or Bullet. It's still a status symbol either way.

And given VT's joke of a role over the history of Owl I am perfectly fine with limiting mods to what the stock game offers, aside from a few common sense things i.e buffing police cars slightly because they can't catch pretty much any DLC car right now.

Edited by bartman
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

funny man chaos right @Mogs lool

where gonna miss you john

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bartman said:

They're a large part of the MTA server for a very small minority of players who rice/statwhore. No one else particularly cares whether their supercar says Lamborghini or Bullet. It's still a status symbol either way.

And given VT's joke of a role over the history of Owl I am perfectly fine with limiting mods to what the stock game offers, aside from a few common sense things i.e buffing police cars slightly because they can't catch pretty much any DLC car right now.

mad facts

• Like 1

I don't hang around in MTA anymore because I haven't been able to due to my current situation, but I have the ability to check the forums once in a while and then I always look for updates on the GTA V thread because when I'm ready to game again; I'm going to roleplay on GTA V and that's something I've looked forward to for ages. Especially with OGs like Daniels and more developing it, and I have a few friends in the same situation as me  - they'll come and roleplay - they just don't show up as active members yet because they're in their own little hibernation and waiting.

But please keep it minimal and not clustered with custom files and car types or otherwise heavy things. And I beg you to stick to the original GTA vehicles. I returned to roleplay on GTA:SA / MTA / Owl after a few years of staying away and I didn't particularly like the vehicle system and it was off-putting and a drastic change for me because I was away and came back to something that I didn't see coming gradually through introduction and so on. So I feel like it did create roleplay for those that are interested in things like vehicles, but for me and my characters (even as a hobby car restorer in real life) then it didn't matter. But it mattered for other people and therefore I was pulled into roleplay I wasn't interested in and having people question my character's car choice when there was no thought behind it at all. It's difficult to explain because I don't even understand it fully. But I could tell people took it out of its intended size and direction and made it a huge thing to have a better car than the other guy. It made it all too car oriented and I'm whining about it because it surprised me.

Either way & tl;dr - I know many old roleplayers that will return upon launch of GTA V. I want things to be minimal and use the roleplayer's own creativity to give us entertainment, and to not make the vehicle system enormous while still allowing some mechanical roleplay without using real life vehicles.

• Like 4

Keep it up!