ToastyBud

[Getting ownership of abandoned vehicles...] - Revise

I'm not really in support of this IC or IRL. If a vehicle not belonging to you is on property which you have acquired titled to, you should simply call the local authorities to have it towed to an impound lot for illegal parking. There it can be collected by the owner, or if not, eventually seized and sold on. I've never believed in people acquiring title to something simply because it was left in a location. If it's not part of a purchase agreement then title shouldn't pass.

18 minutes ago, ToastyBud said:

I remember back in the day, at some point, I think 2014 or 2015... when you bought a house and found vehicles in it, the vehicles became your property and you would be /forcesold the vehicles if you F1'd.

This.

+1

6 minutes ago, Alfa1561 said:

I'm not really in support of this IC or IRL. If a vehicle not belonging to you is on property which you have acquired titled to, you should simply call the local authorities to have it towed to an impound lot for illegal parking. There it can be collected by the owner, or if not, eventually seized and sold on. I've never believed in people acquiring title to something simply because it was left in a location. If it's not part of a purchase agreement then title shouldn't pass.

Posting on behalf of @Craazy

I see how that would make sense if the property acquired is a parking lot, or a public establishment however usually IRL, especially in Canada and the US, when the vehicle is found on a residential property, some people might call local authorities and get the vehicle towed away, while others might file a mechanic's lien for storage costs, and depending on where you live, a month or two without the owner and you'll be issued the ownership of the car, and if they do find the owner, well he'll have to pay the storage costs.

1 hour ago, ToastyBud said:

Nowadays, I heard that if you find a vehicle in your home, then you'll just need an admin to TP it out or something and they usually take bugged cars to admin lounge so they've probably taken these vehicles to the admin lounge or returned them or whatever...

Uhhh no, admins aren't supposed to take those vehicles out of the garage/house or TP it to gmlounge, we tell the new owner of the property to do with the vehicle as they please. For example, they can either call the BoTS ICly to take the vehicle or just break into the vehicle and rob its shit then chop it up.

47 minutes ago, ToastyBud said:

Posting on behalf of @Craazy

I see how that would make sense if the property acquired is a parking lot, or a public establishment however usually IRL, especially in Canada and the US, when the vehicle is found on a residential property, some people might call local authorities and get the vehicle towed away, while others might file a mechanic's lien for storage costs, and depending on where you live, a month or two without the owner and you'll be issued the ownership of the car, and if they do find the owner, well he'll have to pay the storage costs.

I think if that's introduced it could be ICly covered, but I don't agree based on the services LS has. Charging storage costs shouldn't occur in LS County because the county has a towing service which us tax paid for and will tow the vehicle for free, meaning the owner of the property can have the vehicle removed at any time free of charge but elects not to simply to get money out of the vehicle owner. I don't agree with either seizure to property owners nor charging storage when a free towing service run by the government is available to remove the offending vehicles. You'd also need to change the criminal law, as current law regards vehicles being parked on private property where they aren't wanted as illegal parking, VC002. Hence how law enforcement and BOTS can punish for it and move cars under that law. A private citizen shouldn't be able to profit from it since it can be moved for free under criminal law.

20 minutes ago, Alfa1561 said:

I think if that's introduced it could be ICly covered, but I don't agree based on the services LS has. Charging storage costs shouldn't occur in LS County because the county has a towing service which us tax paid for and will tow the vehicle for free, meaning the owner of the property can have the vehicle removed at any time free of charge but elects not to simply to get money out of the vehicle owner. I don't agree with either seizure to property owners nor charging storage when a free towing service run by the government is available to remove the offending vehicles. You'd also need to change the criminal law, as current law regards vehicles being parked on private property where they aren't wanted as illegal parking, VC002. Hence how law enforcement and BOTS can punish for it and move cars under that law. A private citizen shouldn't be able to profit from it since it can be moved for free under criminal law.

Posted on behalf of @Craazy

Why let BoTS and the Government profit off practically doing the same exact thing? It's paid for by our dollars, not just tax... because the people who get their vehicles impounded still have to pay a fee. If they don't, BoTS sells the vehicle off in an auction. It's not exactly a free service, and while yes, some people would still get the car towed, IRL in some states, others can easily file a mechanic's lien for storage costs, and hold the car until the store is paid for.

Even motels sometimes make collectors pay a large parking or storage fee, if let's say a car is abandoned in a motel parking lot without the owner having rented a room. If it happens IRL, why can't we make it happen in Owl?

Edited by ToastyBud

BOTS or the Government don't profit of vehicles anymore, it's IC'ly illegal for BOTS to obtain ownership of the vehicle.

12 minutes ago, ToastyBud said:

Posted on behalf of @Craazy

Why let BoTS and the Government profit off practically doing the same exact thing? It's paid for by our dollars, not just tax... because the people who get their vehicles impounded still have to pay a fee. If they don't, BoTS sells the vehicle off in an auction. It's not exactly a free service, and while yes, some people would still get the car towed, IRL in some states, others can easily file a mechanic's lien for storage costs, and hold the car until the store is paid for.

Even motels sometimes make collectors pay a large parking or storage fee, if let's say a car is abandoned in a motel parking lot without the owner having rented a room. If it happens IRL, why can't we make it happen in Owl?

The service is free in the sense that the private property owner pays no more than they do every day to get BOTS to tow the vehicle away. I'd be more inclined to agree with allowing owners of property to charge for storage if BOTS made you pay a fee to collect the car, but they don't. If you leave the vehicle on your property you do so at your own expense, because you could have it removed for free by the relevant authorities. If the vehicle being on the property causes you a disturbance or otherwise hinders you it's your fault for not having it removed for free by the service that exists for such situations.

lolno :D just go around buying 15k garages and stockpiling cars to sell after, that's just cheap. Find another way to make money and for the cars in the garage, get them towed. You know it's gonna be a report like "i tried to contact the owner but with no success and when asked proof, it's going to be couple of ads pushed when there are like 15 players online or less. Noone is gonna be like "i hope the owner will notice the ads and gets his car" no, it's going to be the other way around. If you want a car, paperforge it.

10 minutes ago, Gazzeh said:

lolno :D just go around buying 15k garages and stockpiling cars to sell after, that's just cheap. Find another way to make money and for the cars in the garage, get them towed. You know it's gonna be a report like "i tried to contact the owner but with no success and when asked proof, it's going to be couple of ads pushed when there are like 15 players online or less. Noone is gonna be like "i hope the owner will notice the ads and gets his car" no, it's going to be the other way around. If you want a car, paperforge it.

No, not how it would work. If this was to be implemented as an in-character law, you'd have to go to civil court and the owner would be given a fair time to show up to court IC'ly and contest it. If there's an OOC issue pertaining to it, it could be solved on the spot too. Handling this through the admin team is not the best option.

+1 from me.

In real life, you can do just this... The body shop that worked on my dad's Mustang did this to get ownership over a wrecked truck that was left in their garage after the owner refused service and refused to pay them for storing it for the week it took him to decide to refuse service...

The vehicle sat in their parking lot for nearly a month, then they finally got ownership of it through usage of an "Abandoned Vehicle Title" and sold it for a couple grand.

If you want to argue that "it will be abused to make major profits" you could easily counter this... Say for example, in real life; you'd have to pay the title fees...

This was actually done on another server I used to play on... The title fees were done at a certain percentage of the vehicles price, I believe it was 10% of the vehicle's price.

Say for example, you find a $100,000 vehicle in the garage when you buy your mansion... You file all of the appropriate paperwork IC'ly, you give the owner time to claim it; then if they fail to show you'd have to pay $10,000 and the DMV (Admin) would give you the title to it.

PLUS you would have to acquire entry to the vehicle along with get any key(s) required to operate the vehicle... In most cases, as Owl is full of luxurious vehicles; this would get expensive...

Say for example, you're gonna have to pay a mechanic/locksmith come out and get the vehicle open and have the new key cut for it... Then if it's a luxurious vehicle, such as a Mercedes-Benz; you're gonna need to have the chipped key ordered from Mercedes themself...

You can still argue saying "But it'll still be less money than importing it and would be too easy to profit off" though... But in Owl Gaming you can profit off of a 1992 Honda Civic as long as you buy it for $5,000 then install $10,000 worth of parts onto it to get it to go 286 km/h then you can easily resell it for $100,000 on the Auction House... So, why limit something that's really and truly not that simple to abuse.