Daniels

Developer Diary #5 - Burning Down The House

Heya, so you're thinking of adding random fire missions? How are you guys going to implant this? Will it be more like an RPG where firefighers can just do these missions or does it need player input to start?

4 minutes ago, croozerdog said:

Heya, so you're thinking of adding random fire missions? How are you guys going to implant this? Will it be more like an RPG where firefighers can just do these missions or does it need player input to start?

The goal isn't that this becomes an RPG minigame for the FD (perhaps fire missions isn't the perfect name, but things need names and that's what we've been calling them internally). The idea is that these events get players together and drive RP and create stories for certain characters which are outside of their control.

For implanting, certain types of these 'missions' occur randomly as natural events (e.g. forest fires) which the FD can respond to and others occur as player initiated events (e.g. my car caught fire, i threw a Molotov cocktail, etc).

Of course, for heavily customized RP situations, for example I'm RPing that I spilled gas everywhere whilst filling my tank and dropped a match, admins are still able to kick off the initial fire if required, but the spread etc will all be managed by the script.

Players are expected to RP these fires as actual RP events, not an RPG mini-game.

1 minute ago, Daniels said:

The goal isn't that this becomes an RPG minigame for the FD (perhaps fire missions isn't the perfect name, but things need names and that's what we've been calling them internally). The idea is that these events get players together and drive RP and create stories for certain characters which are outside of their control.

For implanting, certain types of these 'missions' occur randomly as natural events (e.g. forest fires) which the FD can respond to and others occur as player initiated events (e.g. my car caught fire, i threw a Molotov cocktail, etc).

Of course, for heavily customized RP situations, for example I'm RPing that I spilled gas everywhere whilst filling my tank and dropped a match, admins are still able to kick off the initial fire if required, but the spread etc will all be managed by the script.

Players are expected to RP these fires as actual RP events, not an RPG mini-game.

Nice, happy to hear that. It shouldn't have a name on the frontend at the end of the day probably. Would be awesome if they actually get a 911 call without being able to see the difference to a real player calling.

I don't think they should be specifically rewarded for putting out these kind of fires. It is literally their job as firefighters to fight the fire and they already get paid for doing that and much more. If there has to be a reward, it is most definitely not recommended that they get it script-wisely but instead via IC means, by recognition of bravery for example, or by getting hurt on a call. But this shouldn't be automated.

I love the concept though, this is way better than the /randomfire script on MTA. Maybe a good way to expand this would be by creating HAZMAT incidents. This doesn't necessarily need fire but may be a result of it, or sometimes result in one, depending on a lot of circumstances. For example, industrial plant incidents involving toxic/flammable leaks, transportation incidents of hazardous materials, waste site leakages (municipal landfills or dumpsites, for example), pipeline breaks (fuel leaks, etc.) are a good example of scenes that could be recreated and bring some interesting roleplay that has been practically inexistent over the past years.

Nice, looking good.

How would things like indoor fires work? Would fire be visible from the outside, or maybe some smoke could be added to the house making it look like it's on fire from the outside?

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Good one now where's the dogs

Someones asking the right question.

5 hours ago, Daniels said:

Aside from that, the on-going UAT beta is helping us find and resolve bugs before launch rather than at launch.

When is Launch? At this rate we're looking in possibly two years.

39 minutes ago, RayPayne said:

Hell no, I'd say sooner.

Daniels, how will the injuries be roleplayed? Will it have some scriptwise things attached to it? I know that if you shoot a NPC in the stomach they cover it (atleast in GTA IV) will the same thing happen to the player getting shot? Sometimes people don't roleplay their injuries properly, will a script act upon them, forcing their character to behave in a different way? (Faint onto the ground after a while. Having visual effects when you crash [Drunk camera with drunk walking to roleplay being dizzy] and such?

Will drugs have visual effects, and possibly even effects on the character? (Using cocaine makes you run faster, but also makes out a /me would laugh uncontrollably) (Abstaining from using drugs will make the character lose health?)

How will the legal factions work? Will it be possible to start companies (having a f3) if one goes to the city hall and pays a fee to start a company (as in real life, where you fill paperwork and pay taxes for the company) or will we have to do the forum threads as of now?

How will the illegal factions work? Same as in MTA? Will there be changes?

Spoiler

I see what you did there... ;) 

Edited by TheNeonGuy

This was great!

23 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Wait for our development update about factions for answers to those questions :) We do plan to have a way for legal factions to get better organized without official FT channels though. 

Very happy to hear this!

Keep it up everyone!

I know you don't like telling us this because the development is being done in chunks rather than a step by step list, but how close do you think V is to launch? I can already guess there is a billion more things you need to do, along with this, that and the other but in your opinion do you think it'll be out some time during the summer? 

Also, WILL YOU BE ABLE TO HIDE THE HEALTH BARS ABOVE SOMEONES HEAD? I dont like that SAMP esque. @Daniels

30 minutes ago, DrJoseEviI said:

I know you don't like telling us this because the development is being done in chunks rather than a step by step list, but how close do you think V is to launch? I can already guess there is a billion more things you need to do, along with this, that and the other but in your opinion do you think it'll be out some time during the summer? 

Also, WILL YOU BE ABLE TO HIDE THE HEALTH BARS ABOVE SOMEONES HEAD? I dont like that SAMP esque. @Daniels

salty

"Proving a point"

Edited by AresVelocity
Cause i can

7 hours ago, DrJoseEviI said:

We do have a step list internally as well as target dates. We have nothing to share publicly yet.

We'll have options for customizing nametags/healthbars in the future.

15 hours ago, RayPayne said:

No.

On 6/5/2018 at 9:50 PM, Matey said:

Will there be weapon modifications? (Extendo mags, drum mag on the draco, flashlights etc) and if so, will you showcase such update?

There will be, yes. Not sure if we'll showcase it. Wait and see ;)