1. 1. Do you agree?

OwlGaming.png

Rule Discussion

Subject:

Adjust "Force Sell Interiors" to not target active players

I want to...:

Revise

Elaboration:

I believe the rule needs to be adjusted, as currently it's being used mainly against players that simply have two or more characters that they keep active but rotate between, instead of what should be it's intended target of those that do not actively RP within the community, but only activate their properties. For instance, if a character is less active for a month because in that time, the player has been focusing more on a secondary character that is able to better provide RP for the community, they should not be punished by having their interiors randomly removed from their possession, if they keep them from the Inactivity Scanner. It's hurting more players than not, ruining established characters that may just be on the "back burner" so to speak for a short while, before being returned to for further RP. This rule SHOULD stay focused on those that do not actively play within the community instead, but evade the inactivity scanner by logging on once two weeks to activate their properties, not those that simply rotate between characters. (Yes, someone could balance two or more characters actively by playing both in a day, or switching back and forth between the characters every so often, but that isn't always possible, especially if their's time restrictions, or the character needs another character to continue their RP with, and both are also trying to partake or establish other RP scenarios and such for the community).

Edited by MindScape

+1. 

Even made a suggestion saying the rule was very bland and easily abused. This rule was mainly made to just allow people to take ownership from others, we all know its true. 

And all the people who vote "No", are the ones who want to be able to take the properties still. 

Edited by RayPayne

I voted no, here's why.

I personally don't believe in asset freezing which is what this rule does so well to prevent.

I've roleplayed on 3 characters at once before and I was self-aware enough to notice that someone else could make great use of what I own. Before this started being enforced, I sold the assets I didn't use and settled on what I can manage. It's in plain view as to why a lot of people hate it but if you're going to own building A and not use it for a few months, whilst owning building B and using it all the time, it's like... you purchased building A for a reason, use it to some degree.

To cover the *it's targetting multiple character people rather than inactive people* if you think about it, that second, third or fourth character that you don't use frequently is acting as an inactive player, initially only coming online to prevent it from being taken by the scanner. This rule is what made me realise "Wow, this player has been logging into this character to save his interior for the past 3 months, why wasn't it force sold for businesses to start?" and also "Why am I paying game coins when I'm not using it in comparison to players who jump on every 10, 11, 12 or 13 days to save it?

In my eyes, the whole grasp for hoarding comes down to a small selection of things, two major ones being:

• Custom interior, don't want to lose it or sell it because it holds more value than what people would pay
  • Location of the interior, don't want to lose it or sell it because it's in a location which everyone wants to live in

I don't know if I'm the only one thinking this way or if I'm missing something that you want to express.

17 minutes ago, RayPayne said:

+1. 

Even made a suggestion saying the rule was very bland and easily abused. 

^ the worst part about this is, that admins get dibs on anything that is inactive whilst regular members gotta go through the entire process of making a ticket. Very biased and unfair. Make the process the same for players and staff.

1 minute ago, Law said:

I voted no, here's why.

I personally don't believe in asset freezing which is what this rule does so well to prevent.

I've roleplayed on 3 characters at once before and I was self-aware enough to notice that someone else could make great use of what I own. Before this started being enforced, I sold the assets I didn't use and settled on what I can manage. It's in plain view as to why a lot of people hate it but if you're going to own building A and not use it for a few months, whilst owning building B and using it all the time, it's like... you purchased building A for a reason, use it to some degree.

To cover the *it's targetting multiple character people rather than inactive people* if you think about it, that second, third or fourth character that you don't use frequently is acting as an inactive player, initially only coming online to prevent it from being taken by the scanner. This rule is what made me realise "Wow, this player has been logging into this character to save his interior for the past 3 months, why wasn't it force sold for businesses to start?" and also "Why am I paying game coins when I'm not using it in comparison to players who jump on every 10, 11, 12 or 13 days to save it?

In my eyes, the whole grasp for hoarding comes down to a small selection of things, two major ones being:

• Custom interior, don't want to lose it or sell it because it holds more value than what people would pay
  • Location of the interior, don't want to lose it or sell it because it's in a location which everyone wants to live in

I don't know if I'm the only one thinking this way or if I'm missing something that you want to express.

It makes sense more in business that are not being kept active, but not really for housing. If I own House A and House B, maybe I rotate which house I use every 6 months or so, like a seasonal / vacation style thing. Or, like in my case, I owned an interior but was working the past year on creating a perfect custom interior for it, and just because I had been focusing moreso on an alt lately to try and provide more RP to others by working at a bar, and interacting there on the alt, my house can be taken from me, and that interior I've been working so hard on is now just freely the other persons? And it's really not the same - If a character is active at all, it should count for their properties. If a character is completely inactive for an extended period of time, like over a month or two, I can more reasonably accept it - but when I last RP'd on the 5th with a character, and have been busy otherwise on my other alt for a short period, and then my stuff is taken from me? That's quite unfair, no? 

+1 This rule is so dumb, forcing you to either be really fucking active or put money into owl. Also agree with buster that UAT and AT get dibs on the properties, the owners should atleast be notified 24hours ahead like the inactivity scanner, but not like right now where uat member can go and sell himself the house whenever he feels like it just because you've been active on another alt. The owner should get the dibs on buying the house back and if he doesn't within 24 hours, it can be bought by the players, not by the UAT/AT member that does the /forcesell. Why do we even have the inactivity scanner if shit like this can happen...

Just now, MindScape said:

It makes sense more in business that are not being kept active, but not really for housing. If I own House A and House B, maybe I rotate which house I use every 6 months or so, like a seasonal / vacation style thing.

Housing falls under the same roof... if you're freezing an asset for 6 months just because you don't think you'll look good inside a beach house in winter, put protection on it like the rest of us should do. Or otherwise, sell it... hell, rent it out to someone who wants to roleplay in that seasonal house during the season that you don't like.

Or, like in my case, I owned an interior but was working the past year on creating a perfect custom interior for it, and just because I had been focusing moreso on an alt lately to try and provide more RP to others by working at a bar, and interacting there on the alt, my house can be taken from me, and that interior I've been working so hard on is now just freely the other persons?

Don't know if you're pulling my leg with this short bit but without disrespect, if I owned an interior and wasn't satisfied with the current one, correction, if I had the effort to work on a custom interior for one whole year, I would do what we all have to do and put protection on it. Again, without disrespect, I don't believe that your bartending job on one character is limiting you from finishing a custom interior that you've worked for a year on. Especially without protecting it knowing it's not being used for any roleplay purposes. To answer your question, why should it not be freely available to people who would've had tons of roleplay during that whole year of it collecting dust?

And it's really not the same - If a character is active at all, it should count for their properties. If a character is completely inactive for an extended period of time, like over a month or two, I can more reasonably accept it - but when I last RP'd on the 5th with a character, and have been busy otherwise on my other alt for a short period, and then my stuff is taken from me? That's quite unfair, no? 

If you think about it from two perspectives, playing a character every 13 days is the same as an inactive player coming online every 13 days for his assets. Yes you can be busy with one but at least have the decency to realise what you're doing. Here's my point, don't create and own something you can't manage, why have 5 activated characters when you're too busy to even roleplay in that property? It's not unfair, in fact, it's super fair for people who have to sit those 12 dusty months and wait for you to upload that interior and sell it. That's an example of course but that's my feedback.

5 minutes ago, Gazzeh said:

Why do we even have the inactivity scanner if shit like this can happen...

Because people log into their inactive characters every 13 days to loophole the scanner, hello?

3 minutes ago, Law said:

Because people log into their inactive characters every 13 days to loophole the scanner, hello?

Yeah, so admin can buy it and spend 5 bucks to protect the interior for a year and now the house will have even less use. Hell you don't need to even spend money, you can Forcesell that shit and then spend the GC you earn from admin duty to protect the house for a year. Players need to have actual money to protect their stuff, Admins don't. Players cant get dibs on the houses, admins can. Kinda unfair if you ask me.

14 minutes ago, Gazzeh said:

Yeah, so admin can buy it and spend 5 bucks to protect the interior for a year and now the house will have even less use. Hell you don't need to even spend money, you can Forcesell that shit and then spend the GC you earn from admin duty to protect the house for a year. Players need to have actual money to protect their stuff, Admins don't. Players cant get dibs on the houses, admins can. Kinda unfair if you ask me.

Not heard of a single situation where an admin found an inactive interior and just sold it for themselves, maybe you know better or maybe you just try to find some point to argue my points which is nice and all. To be honest this reply seems to be motivated with some pitchfork towards the team but I was prepared to answer the point you made before anyone else did. I’ll try and keep it civil but I’ve spent more money on game coins than I’ve earned from admin duty. My purchased game coins go on my assets to support the server and everything Chaos and the team are doing for Owl. I think you know where my admin earned currency goes.

Again, I’ve never seen an admin forcesell and buy a house just because they liked it and it was inactive. Unless you’re able to privately message me some evidence of this taking place and shed light on it like the problem you make it out to be, seems like a bogus claim.

Just speaking from my point of view.

Edited by Law

5 minutes ago, Law said:

I’ve never seen an admin forcesell and buy a house just because they liked it and it was inactive.

what if this admins another admin friend was notified to sell the house so it wouldn't be bought by the admin that sold it. Using OOC way of communication to do so leaves no evidence and can be played off on "coincidence" that admin noticed it first and bought it. Not pointing any pitchforks, just saying that this all should be equal no matter if you are an UAT member or just a player. Everyone should have equal chance to buy the said property.

EDIT: Really starting to like this one guys suggestion about the inactive interiors to be sold to government so they can auction it off and everyone will have equal chance to buy the said property.

Edited by Gazzeh

3 minutes ago, Law said:

Again, I’ve never seen an admin forcesell and buy a house just because they liked it and it was inactive. Unless you’re able to privately message me some evidence of this taking place and shed light on it like the problem you make it out to be, seems like a bogus claim.

As a admin, Will point out its not a bogus claim at all. Will gladly send you proof and can get another person to back me. 

46 minutes ago, RayPayne said:

As a admin, Will point out its not a bogus claim at all. Will gladly send you proof and can get another person to back me. 

Oddly appreciated,

It seems like you’ve only read half of my reply since the opening line was:

Not heard of a single situation where an admin found an inactive interior and just sold it for themselves”

Maybe you didn’t see that part and it’s okay but you showed me an admin requesting another admin to check on an inactive interior like a player would.

I’m not saying I disagree with everything being mentioned but I cant help but disagree with this anger/loss-motivated claim which is the reason this suggestion was even made. 

I only see one solid argument that could be made as an improvement which is possibly some sort of a cool down after being forcesold but at the moment it’s just pitchforks rather than constructive feedback which is what I’m trying to show here.

3 minutes ago, Law said:

Oddly appreciated,

It seems like you’ve only read half of my reply since the opening line was:

Not heard of a single situation where an admin found an inactive interior and just sold it for themselves”

Maybe you didn’t see that part and it’s okay but you showed me an admin requesting another admin to check on an inactive interior like a player would.

I’m not saying I disagree with everything being mentioned but I cant help but disagree with this anger/loss-motivated claim which is the reason this suggestion was even made. 

I only see one solid argument that could be made as an improvement which is possibly some sort of a cool down after being forcesold but at the moment it’s just pitchforks rather than constructive feedback which is what I’m trying to show here.

I think my suggestion that I made for this rule fixes most issues, allows fairness and even allows old owner to buy back for another chance.

Why don't they give a Day's Notice where you have the opportunity to buy inactivity protection or present evidence you're going to use it Before It's taken away?

Nothing stops people from getting an int force sold, buying it and then selling it in an auction later on. That means it won’t be more RP in the interior, it’ll be just the same with some guy profiting from it no?

I agree with adding 30 days to the rule, but disagree with the rest of your suggestion. Others above put it pretty well, I’ll try to keep my reasoning simple.

The rule applies to people who:

• Don’t roleplay on the character that owns the property
  • Use the character to enter assets, thus avoiding the inactivity scanner

It’s pretty simple. It’s been used to stop players and staff members from simply rotating characters, holding onto properties they don’t actually use. You being an example of one of those people. Why should your other characters be exempt from the rule just because you RP on some other character? You aren’t actually using the character that owns the property, so why shouldn’t another players in the server be allowed to take over the property?

I think @Ray stating that anyone who supports this rule “wants to steal properties” is completely stupid. I can argue the same about anyone who supports MindScape’s change by saying they simply want to horde their properties from people who could actually use them. 

As @Law stated, the rule hasn’t been used to “steal” properties. It’s used when some people think it’s ok to avoid the scanner.

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

im being told 2 different things regarding this one, one group is saying that only RPing in general on said character matters and the other group says that RP needs to be made in the interior.

19 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I agree with adding 30 days to the rule, but disagree with the rest of your suggestion. Others above put it pretty well, I’ll try to keep my reasoning simple.

• Use the character to enter assets, thus avoiding the inactivity scanner

It’s pretty simple. It’s been used to stop players and staff members from simply rotating characters, holding onto properties they don’t actually use. You being an example of one of those people. Why should your other characters be exempt from the rule just because you RP on some other character? You aren’t actually using the character that owns the property, so why shouldn’t another players in the server be allowed to take over the property?

I think @Ray stating that anyone who supports this rule “wants to steal properties” is completely stupid. I can argue the same about anyone who supports MindScape’s change by saying they simply want to horde their properties from people who could actually use them. 

As @Law stated, the rule hasn’t been used to “steal” properties. It’s used when some people think it’s ok to avoid the scanner.

Can it be adjusted where the person atleast gets 66% of the price just like /sellproperty atleast then, along with that 30 days? Same with scanned interiors?

7 minutes ago, BusterAces said:

im being told 2 different things regarding this one, one group is saying that only RPing in general on said character matters and the other group says that RP needs to be made in the interior.

As the rule is written, it's RPed at all on the character.

1 minute ago, MindScape said:

Can it be adjusted where the person atleast gets 66% of the price just like /sellproperty atleast then, along with that 30 days? Same with scanned interiors?

That doesn't make much sense since the new person is already paying full price anyways?

Also do scanners do 66%? Honestly didn't even know that.

2 minutes ago, MindScape said:

I can stand behind players at least getting 66% of their property.

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

As the rule is written, it's RPed at all on the character.

That doesn't make much sense since the new person is already paying full price anyways?

Also do scanners do 66%? Honestly didn't even know that.

The scanner gives you nothing atm, I'm asking if that can be changed, as well as this - so the player atleast gets some of their investment back if the property is taken from them. Right now they are left with nothing in exchange. This in turn would make it akin to the property being /sellproperty in that it becomes for sale then by the server and the old owner gets some return.

Edited by MindScape