greenops011

MDC access question

Question

I know normally access to MDC is restricted primarily to government factions, but I have one question. I'm planning on starting a private investigation business, and would need to be able to identify the targets vehicles and/or properties. I know LSPD would probably be reluctant to provide me with that info, so here is the question. Is there any way to give specific characters access to the MDC, but only certain parts. For instance:

canSeeVehicles = {

["<characters name>"] = true,

}

canSeeProperties = {

["<characters name>"] = true,

}

those would be the only two permissions I would need for my PI business.

My thinking is, IRL both those pieces of information (not 100% sure about vehicles, but I'd assume it is) is all available thru public records. You can even get background checks through public records. It would be nice to have something similar to that. I know there is a high risk for abuse, but I also know that MDC access is logged, so if someone were to abuse it, there would definately be a paper trail and they could be punished accordingly.

7 answers to this question

Would be nice to see an investigation business!

From what I can see, the MDC currently only works if you are in a Government faction, like LSIA, LSPD, DPS, Government and your name has been entered in a list. However.. it would be nice if the old system was still in place. The good old username-and-password procedure. Nowadays, you just simply type /mdc and you're in... which is disadvantageous to people who RP-ly stole your credentials.

I can sort of see why they don't have that old system though. If someone OOC'ly got someone elses credentials, it would be incredibly easy to do more harm than good. What I would like is a way to selectively add someone to the list of people who can access the MDC

I haven't done much research into the real life workings of private detectives, but I am fairly certain they do not have access to Police databases. What they do have, which would be an entirely separate feature, is access to the public records, which is something we could consider building into V.

4 hours ago, Eloquent said:

I haven't done much research into the real life workings of private detectives, but I am fairly certain they do not have access to Police databases. What they do have, which would be an entirely separate feature, is access to the public records, which is something we could consider building into V.

Just so happens that all of the "public records" we speak of are in the MDC on our server. He is asking for access to those public records.

I mean if its not something that can be done, I can just as easily make a request on PD forums regarding the individual targets of my investigations. Just thought this way would be easier, as I'm sure PD has better things to do

Old, but the answer is this would need to be done through faction support. Most likely, you'd need an official faction. Otherwise, you'll probably have to go through the PD, yes.

L&A.