Sign in to follow this  
Eloquent

What is the one thing missing from our codebase?

A updated phone system.

One that allows the internet to be used on it, allows the mdc to be accessed from a website. Be able to be on a call and send texts at the same time, and maybe not have it block so much of the screen and the speedometer. 

2 minutes ago, RayPayne said:

A updated phone system.

One that allows the internet to be used on it, allows the mdc to be accessed from a website. Be able to be on a call and send texts at the same time, and maybe not have it block so much of the screen and the speedometer. 

When you say internet, do you mean the actual internet or our sort of in-character internet exists today.

11 minutes ago, Eloquent said:

When you say internet, do you mean the actual internet or our sort of in-character internet exists today.

Well you could combine the computer's internet feature(with a moveable gui would be great) or you could add sites like mdc.gov or other ig sites.

8 minutes ago, EDR said:

This. Now.

mdc.owlgaming.net

The bone attachment editing, or whatever it it you do when you /togattach your weapons, for items like gas masks, helmets, backpacks etc.
The reason it is needed, is because more other than not, these items can be seen clipping through the player models, etc. It could often be fixed by manually editing it, like we do with weapons.

Maybe 1 or two more wearable items, that could be moved around, like weapons in /togattach.
Maybe something like glasses, with invisible or transparent lens parts, which can be their covered up or left empty by the player in their inventory, similar to helmets, to resemble either sunglasses or regular glasses. I would also recommend texturable hat items, but we only have a limited amount of items we can use and I think glasses are a bigger necessity than hats and it would be easier to make a somewhat universal model for it. 
If there is no item left, then we should probably replace the Christmas Hats with them. The christmas hats are cool and all, but they're only usable during christmas for most of the playerbase and the rest of the year, it's only really used for trolling or showing off and has no real need to exist besides that. Something like glasses would be a lot better, for both male and female skins and it would save us from the trouble of doing a /me, /status, because the other party would see what we look like.
Overall, it ads some nice customizability.

Then editable textures for all of these wearable items, (maybe including phones). I can imagine it being a rather difficult task, but we're able to do it for helmets already. Why not backpacks for example? A lot of cool brands, camouflages and what not to go along with it. And texturing phones means that each player can actually make their phone resemble the actual model they have renamed it to.

Maybe a scaling option for wearable items as well.
Now this is a rather tricky one. But I do imagine that scaling is possible, due to a glitch a certain skin on owl seems to do, when you wear helmets on it. It enlarges them. So I assume, that changing the size of the items manually, should be a possibility. Though I do imagine it's quite the task for scripters.
Of course, there should be boundaries for the size, so it's not too small, nor too big. If that wasn't in place, we'd have people trolling with Christmas hats the size of Star Tower.

There are some of the ideas I've been having.

Edited by Piney

It'd be interesting to have more features focused towards the sea that'd influence players to actually travel out there and create roleplay. Probably being too optimistic here, but perhaps something like a new fishing system catered towards commercial fishermen or even a system that spawned an aquatic ecosystem so people can make use out of the diving suit and actually be psyched to see an actual fish or mammal etcetera that'd spawn at specific locations but also change at random intervals.

Very complex suggestion but you asked for potentially game changing ideas. It'd save administrators from having to spawn these things themselves and planting them around everywhere.

Robust inventory system that includes separate containers that can expand it - i.e. 'storage' generics that can actually hold stuff INSIDE of it. So like placing things inside of a dufflebag or backpack. One of the most desired changes I think, but one of the hardest to accomplish as it requires an entire rework of the inventory of item system. In terms of V, I hope this is taken into consideration from the very beginning instead of an after-thought. 

Is this thread more focused for MTA or V tho?

Edited by MindScape00

Just now, Chaos said:

V specifically

Coolio, thanks :D

Another thing that would be cool is a more feature-filled interior system with the ability to rent them to other players designed in directly. Not exactly a huge "one thing missing" but it is something that I think is missing on MTA and would be awesome to have in V.

On 1/7/2018 at 3:17 PM, ItsMelodyy said:

Web accessible MDC (w/o being in-game).

The current focus of the MDC is to do almost the opposite of this, push all of what you're doing into the game, so that players are spending their time in the game role playing rather than doing "paperwork" out of the game. Allowing this also has inherent security risks, because if I in PD OOCly shared my account credentials with someone who is in an illegal faction, it would be much harder for us to trace than you logging into the user's account within the game and actually spawning as their character to use the MDC.

On 1/7/2018 at 4:39 PM, Piney said:

The bone attachment editing, or whatever it it you do when you /togattach your weapons, for items like gas masks, helmets, backpacks etc.
The reason it is needed, is because more other than not, these items can be seen clipping through the player models, etc. It could often be fixed by manually editing it, like we do with weapons.

Maybe 1 or two more wearable items, that could be moved around, like weapons in /togattach.
Maybe something like glasses, with invisible or transparent lens parts, which can be their covered up or left empty by the player in their inventory, similar to helmets, to resemble either sunglasses or regular glasses. I would also recommend texturable hat items, but we only have a limited amount of items we can use and I think glasses are a bigger necessity than hats and it would be easier to make a somewhat universal model for it. 
If there is no item left, then we should probably replace the Christmas Hats with them. The christmas hats are cool and all, but they're only usable during christmas for most of the playerbase and the rest of the year, it's only really used for trolling or showing off and has no real need to exist besides that. Something like glasses would be a lot better, for both male and female skins and it would save us from the trouble of doing a /me, /status, because the other party would see what we look like.
Overall, it ads some nice customizability.

Then editable textures for all of these wearable items, (maybe including phones). I can imagine it being a rather difficult task, but we're able to do it for helmets already. Why not backpacks for example? A lot of cool brands, camouflages and what not to go along with it. And texturing phones means that each player can actually make their phone resemble the actual model they have renamed it to.

Maybe a scaling option for wearable items as well.
Now this is a rather tricky one. But I do imagine that scaling is possible, due to a glitch a certain skin on owl seems to do, when you wear helmets on it. It enlarges them. So I assume, that changing the size of the items manually, should be a possibility. Though I do imagine it's quite the task for scripters.
Of course, there should be boundaries for the size, so it's not too small, nor too big. If that wasn't in place, we'd have people trolling with Christmas hats the size of Star Tower.

There are some of the ideas I've been having.

Glasses, hats, etc. all exist in the game in some fashion as they're used in multiplayer today. Down the road I could see this being something we look into supporting to offer more in-depth role play of what specifically the look of your character is.

On 1/7/2018 at 6:44 PM, Wright said:

Ability to lock phones with passwords or codes. ADmin can over rule the code by clicking “admin” button?

How do you see that working in practice? Do I have to enter the passcode every time I open it in my inventory, or is the password maybe only forgotten when I drop it on the ground? Currently, the passcode for banking in-game is more of a nuisance imo than improving anyone's ability to role play with the bank over how the banking system was 5 years ago. Need to weigh the number of times someone is stealing a cellphone or bank card vs. the number of times on a daily basis we use our own characters items.

23 hours ago, ResidentPeach said:

It'd be interesting to have more features focused towards the sea that'd influence players to actually travel out there and create roleplay. Probably being too optimistic here, but perhaps something like a new fishing system catered towards commercial fishermen or even a system that spawned an aquatic ecosystem so people can make use out of the diving suit and actually be psyched to see an actual fish or mammal etcetera that'd spawn at specific locations but also change at random intervals.

Very complex suggestion but you asked for potentially game changing ideas. It'd save administrators from having to spawn these things themselves and planting them around everywhere.

Personally, not that much of a fan of this idea for two reasons. I'm going to get fairly lengthy here and discuss some larger ideas here so bare with me.

The first and simpler problem is that this pulls you away from the role play environment where you are most likely to encounter other players. We have a very large map and need to get creative to think of ways to connect players with actual role play, and spanning out even further by pushing a bunch of those players out on boats into the vastness that is the sea surrounding San Andreas won't help.

The second problem is that it doesn't promote role play. My main issue with the jobs in the MTA server is that our focus was put 100% on the wrong side of the scale. The job that makes the most money by far is delivery driving. This job provides the least amount of opportunity for players to actually interact with each other. I took some notes and did a bit of research in-game and of the averages I found, you can make more than 10 times as much money with the delivery driver job as you can with the bus driver job. If we had busses on the streets all the time, they would be following a defined route and would be much less able to be cutting across fields and sidewalks the way the delivery drivers do, and would have an actual shot at role playing with another player in a passive manner when someone decides to take the bus.

Moving forward into our V server, I think our focus with the scripted jobs should be 100% on promoting the jobs that will push players to have passive interaction with other actual players, so that they can actually learn how to role play, and get acquainted with people to hopefully foster them becoming better role players some day.

2 hours ago, MindScape00 said:

Coolio, thanks :D

Another thing that would be cool is a more feature-filled interior system with the ability to rent them to other players designed in directly. Not exactly a huge "one thing missing" but it is something that I think is missing on MTA and would be awesome to have in V.

Hmm... that is an interesting idea, this definitely may or may not be something we will have in V ;) 

These ideas are just my own, not speaking on behalf of the whole scripting team, but I love the feedback so far! Keep it coming, big or small, we want to hear your ideas!

- Daniel

14 hours ago, Eloquent said:

How do you see that working in practice? Do I have to enter the passcode every time I open it in my inventory, or is the password maybe only forgotten when I drop it on the ground? Currently, the passcode for banking in-game is more of a nuisance imo than improving anyone's ability to role play with the bank over how the banking system was 5 years ago. Need to weigh the number of times someone is stealing a cellphone or bank card vs. the number of times on a daily basis we use our own characters items.

If I may weigh in - you can have a simple 'biometrics' bypass, where you can go into phone settings, unlock / passcode, and then (require it to have a passcode re-entry here, even if phone is unlocked, like phones irl) allow to simply 'register yourself' for biometrics. Now the phone auto-unlocks for you, so you don't have to deal with the passcode. I believe that bypasses the entire dilemma of the password being annoying and required every time. Would also say just to allow phones to be answered w/o passcode.

18 hours ago, MindScape00 said:

If I may weigh in - you can have a simple 'biometrics' bypass, where you can go into phone settings, unlock / passcode, and then (require it to have a passcode re-entry here, even if phone is unlocked, like phones irl) allow to simply 'register yourself' for biometrics. Now the phone auto-unlocks for you, so you don't have to deal with the passcode. I believe that bypasses the entire dilemma of the password being annoying and required every time. Would also say just to allow phones to be answered w/o passcode.

This is an interesting idea, could certainly work!

10 hours ago, LeiFeng said:

What happened with strobes bullet drop system

We could consider looking into the viability of something similar in V. My main worry here would be that you're doing a lot of processing to figure out damage, which would likely be slower than relying on native V's engine. More research would need to be done!

Interested in hearing some ideas for creating role play between players. Thinking of maybe a phone app that is a game or something that prompts players to converge on locations. Really anything that allows players to find each other in a role play way to create new rp scenarios. 

8 hours ago, Eloquent said:

Interested in hearing some ideas for creating role play between players. Thinking of maybe a phone app that is a game or something that prompts players to converge on locations. Really anything that allows players to find each other in a role play way to create new rp scenarios. 

Pokemon GO style app that has people meet up in locations for battles? lmao

Or something like "EventFinder" which allows you to register events and they show up on the map. (I also hope that the map can be integrated directly as part of the phone system instead of a random ass "Portable GPS" that you carry, or something).

5 hours ago, MindScape00 said:

Pokemon GO style app that has people meet up in locations for battles? lmao

Or something like "EventFinder" which allows you to register events and they show up on the map. (I also hope that the map can be integrated directly as part of the phone system instead of a random ass "Portable GPS" that you carry, or something).

I've always been a fan of the concept where districts change color if there are like more than two players in that district to find RP. Could increase that to maybe 4? So like if you kidnap someone and take them in the county, they wouldn't MG and start searching for the people in the county, but the general concept could be quite nice. Especially with such a large map. Event Finder is neat too.

7 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

I've always been a fan of the concept where districts change color if there are like more than two players in that district to find RP. Could increase that to maybe 4? So like if you kidnap someone and take them in the county, they wouldn't MG and start searching for the people in the county, but the general concept could be quite nice. Especially with such a large map. Event Finder is neat too.

I figured something based like that would be bad for 'gangs' and such though that may be doing something they don't want to be tracked, and thus an 'opt-in' system would be better. However - possibly allow people to 'opt-out' of that "Density" map and it solves the problem too. Really though, both could work together even. (That and IC vs OOC implementations)

2 minutes ago, MindScape00 said:

I figured something based like that would be bad for 'gangs' and such though that may be doing something they don't want to be tracked, and thus an 'opt-in' system would be better. However - possibly allow people to 'opt-out' of that "Density" map and it solves the problem too. Really though, both could work together even. (That and IC vs OOC implementations)

True, that's why I mentioned the district would have to be over a certain number of people and I would presume the districts are pretty large. But ya, methods of finding people or knowing RP is going on in a general area would be really nice. Organic, natural RP is the best.