Sign in to follow this  
Mail

NYT | San Andreas Today: Why next week's county commissioner election matters

Name: D.Bailer
Comment: I'm guessing the reason we haven't really had any other serious competitors is, that the people of Los Santos have learned, how nothing will change, no matter who is in office. They all do the exact thing every single time. They do some building and fixing, they give some speeches, employ new government workers, they make museums in shopping districts and all of that good stuff. But the taxes stay the same and the PD and FD seem to do their own thing anyway, despite being connected to the government. The changing gun laws seem to be more tied to PD than to the Commissioner as well.
I have seen countless people in office in my time. There has been scandals, there has been great and stable leadership, but really, nothing ever changed for me and my family. Only the name and face we see on the news changes. One of those names and faces, was a friend and from what I saw, even he had trouble doing anything due to the restrictions, despite his grand ambitions. It was like he was controlled by some strange shadow government from the moment he stepped into office. And I bet that in the next 10 years, very little will have changed as well. The only big change, which I can somewhat imagine, is certain drugs being legalized and that is also not that likely with the current political landscape.
I won't vote, even though I can. I don't see any threat to my well being nor any changes that matter to me, despite there being a man in power, who uses symbolism similar to the nazis in 1930's Germany. He simply doesn't have the power to do anything, that really does make a change. 

Name: Newsman

Comment: Mengele has always had my vote, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I would wager he's one of the reasons LS isn't wiped off the map by now. I can only shudder to think of the mess the democrats would leave behind if they took control. More welfare for the criminals on the streets? More leniency for those involved in crime? They'd probably bring in that stupid new act that Sacramento has brought in which pays gang members not to kill people. No thank you. Law and order, and be tough on it.

On 02/12/2017 at 3:03 PM, Piney said:

Name: D.Bailer
Comment: I'm guessing the reason we haven't really had any other serious competitors is, that the people of Los Santos have learned, how nothing will change, no matter who is in office. They all do the exact thing every single time. They do some building and fixing, they give some speeches, employ new government workers, they make museums in shopping districts and all of that good stuff. But the taxes stay the same and the PD and FD seem to do their own thing anyway, despite being connected to the government. The changing gun laws seem to be more tied to PD than to the Commissioner as well.
I have seen countless people in office in my time. There has been scandals, there has been great and stable leadership, but really, nothing ever changed for me and my family. Only the name and face we see on the news changes. One of those names and faces, was a friend and from what I saw, even he had trouble doing anything due to the restrictions, despite his grand ambitions. It was like he was controlled by some strange shadow government from the moment he stepped into office. And I bet that in the next 10 years, very little will have changed as well. The only big change, which I can somewhat imagine, is certain drugs being legalized and that is also not that likely with the current political landscape.
I won't vote, even though I can. I don't see any threat to my well being nor any changes that matter to me, despite there being a man in power, who uses symbolism similar to the nazis in 1930's Germany. He simply doesn't have the power to do anything, that really does make a change. 

Name: Jessica Law (Author)

Comment: It makes me pretty sad to see how widespread political apathy like what you're describing is in Los Santos. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not like I can't relate in the slightest. It is true for the average white middle-class citizen of Los Santos that very little will change in your life as a result of this County Commissioner "election" (which I bet Mengele will win uncontested again). Everything just continues on as normal, for the most part.

But honestly, this is a sort of a dangerous path to walk down in the long run. We're teetering around the sort of point where the only people who do seem to care about what's going on in the County Hall are people like this person:

On 01/12/2017 at 9:12 PM, Scooter said:

Name: Endsieg

Comment: The Final Victory draws near! It is the CPQL's divine right to rule and theirs alone! All opposition will be crushed!

Which is a pretty crazy route to go down. It's not fair to categorize all Mengele's supporters in this way, but I feel like one side of the political scales having a complete, overwhelming monopoly on power isn't a particularly good thing. It can start to tip the balance a little too much towards one side, and disenfranchise a large number of people.