Radhwan

[Economy] - Gold.

Adding gold as some sort of a currency/item for the benefits of the economy.  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this implemented?

OwlGaming.png

Script Suggestion

What would be the name of the script(s)?-

Gold.

What kind of script(s) are you suggesting?-
Events

What is the suggestion?-
Basically add a gold item with ounces and kilograms as its unit of which people would buy gold when ever they want, what I mean by this is for example: Jack has 200k, he buys X amount of gold from a company (in this case it would be LS Bank since there are no others), thing about this is the ability to bring realism and something to actually invest in, invest in gold, buy it for 1200 an ounce, wait a few weeks or months and sell it for 1250 an ounce, other thing is this should be done quick, the ability for admins to spawn gold in exchange for cash, actual scripted gold material 24K not that jewelry stuff, I think this would bring alot of opportunities for the legal and illegal world, after all Gold is a really really important part of the economy and human culture in general. There could be a whole market between the players and even gold holding firms.

Basically investing in gold and following the real life prices of gold, since they go up and down and all, this would be really nice to see to be honest.
What are the advantages?-
Brings more sense of realism.
More opportunities for legal and illegal roleplayers(for legal being something to actually invest in and for illegal being a possibility of a heist from someone who has some gold)
Good for the economy in general.

What are the disadvantages?-

Can't think of any.

Do you have any resources to support our scripters in making said suggestion?-
Negative, it's easy though, just add a new item with its own weight system (Ounce) and that's it, I guess.

How would you go about implementing this idea?-
No idea.

Edited by Radhwan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Radhwan said:

Another thing: This could really revive the LS Bank and bring a purpose to it, it really benefits alot of things if you look at it in a certain POV.

Would also make potential heists much better as there's another physical entity other than money to get :thinking:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Renny said:

Would also make potential heists much better as there's another physical entity other than money to get :thinking:

exactly, though of course you'll have a higher chance pulling off a bank heist than a Gold armored truck heist, unless it's someone and not the LS Bank, who is dumb enough not to secure his gold.

Just now, Caporegime said:

How do you plan on having illegal RP'ers launder said gold? Finding a fence for said thing isn't going to be easy.

There are pleanty of ways, once this system I suggest would be in place, alot of people would build interest and see alot of potential in this shit, they'll find any way possible to buy gold for the cheapest possible, this is where illegal RPers who stole the gold come in place, perhaps even official or established illegal factions can have a specialty in this kind of stuff, perhaps if no illegal faction decides to specialize in this kind of shit (which I highly doubt since this is literally a gold mine) then FT can come in place and introduce a new kind of VMing, with actual passive RP with actual people portrayed by the FT, something similar. For people who think this is hard work or is too complicated, you're wrong, once his system is in place, it's gonna be automatic, trust me.

8 minutes ago, Soulcist said:

Fuck no, if I purposely map a spot in my map where I can hide something very important to prevent robbery then some criminal just abuses the fucking command to see and pick the item up himself, fuck that, big fucking NO, this is useless, decreases report rate? maybe, but admins are aware of their responsibilites before applying, so don't make the most commonly used "advantage" (I call it an excuse) to allow a command that fucks over people, if you got a problem with your item, then report goddamn it, if you're just going to make every single suggestion to "decrease reports" and they get accepted, what would be the use of an admin except to supervise RP? nothing, get the fucking point dog. -1

Wrong thread buddy.

4 hours ago, Soulcist said:

Fuck no, if I purposely map a spot in my map where I can hide something very important to prevent robbery then some criminal just abuses the fucking command to see and pick the item up himself, fuck that, big fucking NO, this is useless, decreases report rate? maybe, but admins are aware of their responsibilites before applying, so don't make the most commonly used "advantage" (I call it an excuse) to allow a command that fucks over people, if you got a problem with your item, then report goddamn it, if you're just going to make every single suggestion to "decrease reports" and they get accepted, what would be the use of an admin except to supervise RP? nothing, get the fucking point dog. -1

Lmao, you're my hero

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soulcist said:

get put kid @Radhwan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Caporegime said:

How do you plan on having illegal RP'ers launder said gold? Finding a fence for said thing isn't going to be easy.

Melt it down and have some beijing pok gai make a TROLLEX 18k gold plated watch.

Or melt the gold down and fucking gold plate your fuckinggggg range rover. Ricers on Owl will buy that shit.

Edited by Lyricist
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Soulcist said:

okeh sorry papi

• Like 1

On 10/29/2017 at 12:55 PM, Radhwan said:

bump, it's a good idea to increase RP, trust me guys.

Not only would some of this be hard to script in, but the introduction of gold as currency and a factor in ecomony would be useless if we have not yet perfected normal car/gun/drug prices. Let's fix the economy before we expand it.

Edited by Craazy

35 minutes ago, Craazy said:

Not only would some of this be hard to script in, but the introduction of gold as currency and a factor in ecomony would be useless if we have not yet perfected normal car/gun/drug prices. Let's fix the economy before we expand it.

Gold Economy isn't based on Owl economy, rather on IRL economy, price of gold IRL is what we are going to be based of, not the IG one. And it won't be hard to script because, you're just going to add the Gold item with a gold icon in your inventory with ounces, just like Heroin with grams, everything else is dependant on IRL gold prices.

2 minutes ago, Radhwan said:

Gold Economy isn't based on Owl economy, rather on IRL economy, price of gold IRL is what we are going to be based of, not the IG one. And it won't be hard to script because, you're just going to add the Gold item with a gold icon in your inventory with ounces, just like Heroin with grams, everything else is dependant on IRL gold prices.

But matching Owl's gold item to that of the IRL gold would require the same aspects such as supply and demand, realistic sources of gold (domestic, exported), and the world gold demand and these things aren't probable with Owl's in-character population, etc.

Owl's economy is not that of an IRL economy, and things like gold shouldn't take pursuit of its IRL statistics if it does come to Owl.

• Like 2

owl doesn't actually have any inflation, so matching the gold price to a real life one wouldn't work because it'll actually create some form of inflation in the owl economy, which im pretty sure nobody could be assed to handle right now (just too much effort, for any single person). basing the entire economy off a single asset base may work in reality, but there's no actual 'value' to gold in owl because it's basically useless. what i wouldn't mind seeing, however, is a vm for commodities supported by the faction team, to promote more investment-style roleplay

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jokerr said:

owl doesn't actually have any inflation

It's not as bad as say LS-RP, but owl absolutely has inflation. Uncapped inflation at that, because of the way the script is. There is no set amount of "Money" in the server. It's poofed in through various sources (Script jobs come to mind as well as several script supported factions), with no check on how much is in circulation. Thus, money is existentially going up while the amount of goods stays the same. Thus, aside from the script capped items (i.e, general store items that aren't worth crap anyways), the value of these items go up. This is the textbook definition of inflation.

Sure, there are a few script functions that take money out of the economy (Taxes, tickets, hospital bills, etc,) but these still all put money back into the economy in paying the cops, county people, judges, firefighters, nurses, doctors, etc. It helps, but the amount of money in the server goes up while the amount of valuable items in the server -generally- stays the same, raising the price of these items in what is inflation.

As for investment, a stock market type deal has been tried before and failed, while we'd be open to ideas like it, I don't think a FT controlled stock VM is a long term solution

Edited by bartman
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, bartman said:

It's not as bad as say LS-RP, but owl absolutely has inflation. Uncapped inflation at that, because of the way the script is. There is no set amount of "Money" in the server. It's poofed in through various sources (Script jobs come to mind as well as several script supported factions), with no check on how much is in circulation. Thus, money is existentially going up while the amount of goods stays the same. Thus, aside from the script capped items (i.e, general store items that aren't worth crap anyways), the value of these items go up. This is the textbook definition of inflation.

Sure, there are a few script functions that take money out of the economy (Taxes, tickets, hospital bills, etc,) but these still all put money back into the economy in paying the cops, county people, judges, firefighters, nurses, doctors, etc. It helps, but the amount of money in the server goes up while the amount of valuable items in the server -generally- stays the same, raising the price of these items in what is inflation.

As for investment, a stock market type deal has been tried before and failed, while we'd be open to ideas like it, I don't think a FT controlled stock VM is a long term solution

i understand what you're saying, but most of the money that's pumped into the economy is countered by the fact that players go inactive and get cked (without sting) on a very regular basis. the value of good on owl has never been increasing. if you're referring to cars, the only reason that the value of certain cars are insanely high is because if the restrictions imposed on importing them by the vehicle team. the only time vehicle values actually seem to increase is when people try to match them to the real life prices, which only happens when the latest year's models are released. as for properties, there are certain properties that are seen as 'desired', and therefore run up a high price, but my point is that that these properties have stayed the same value, even if that value is higher than it should be.

i can agree that a stock market may not be a good idea, and that it's very hard to administer, and i'm not saying that ft should control any stock. i'm saying that if people want something like this, gold shouldn't be the only commodity that's being traded. realistically, though, there aren't nearly enough people to create a buy-sell climate, and the only way that i can see something like this going ahead is if it's assisted oocly, or by some sort of script (which isn't exactly easy to make).

Edited by Jokerr
  • Like 1

exports.global:giveMoney(to who, money)

This is where economy problems should be first fixed. The script at the base is simple: give what amount of money to who.

Yes - most of the scripts then 'takeMoney' from someone to balance it, but it's not 100% of them. That command should be change to 'give money to who, what amount and from who' mandatory. That'd help a lot already! So then the only way to inject money would be from UA via /givemoney or something.

Just my two cents.

• Like 2