ElMariachi

Hollywood Hacking - a fun and safe way to roleplay cybercrime.

30 minutes ago, ElMariachi said:

fiddling with my brother

:) I like it tho, decent. Just had a little fiddle around with it. 

• Like 4

+1.

Extremely good concept, amazing name for the thread. The worst part is I see this "hollywood hacking" backfiring, and branching out in OwlGaming, and one day, we'll have "hollywood chopshop" and a "hollywood methlab" and so on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElMariachi said:

why though?

I honestly can't get my head around the obcession that people have in GTA Roleplay with the concept of "realism" and "realistic" and 90% of the times it just seems like nobody at all is interested in being realistic at all - and in a way that doesn't even suit the notion of roleplaying or at least roleplaying as a hobby or a game to play with friends or strangers at all.

no other system/game forces players to know everything about what their characters do/know and that's the beauty of it - whereas there I can roleplay as someone smarter than me (the roleplayer) because my characters operate and interact with the world through skills and abilities defined by numbers rather than what I as the roleplayer know about these skills or abilities.

it seems like something that needs revisiting - to the point that some people in the community are more concerned about realism on a quasi-scientific level (the guys doing the automotive roleplay and the people in EMS/FD per example) rather than storytelling. 

In Iran, we have a saying that people don't have jambe. While I'm not sure how to define jambe fully, it's somewhere along the lines that people don't deserve it, or isn't mature enough, or doesn't have the intelligence for it. This is why nobody is interested in being realistic like they say they are... but it could go the other way.

While I understand no other games force players to know everything about their characters, and I agree that different characters (under one roleplayer) should not have the same uncommon skills or abilities such as cooking meth, I can see this going the other way because if we allow uncommon skills like hacking or cooking meth to be done by anyone's character, then people will soon lose the jambe for such things, and many people will learn how to "hack" in-character through your suggestion, leading to the "Hollywood Methlab" thread, where soon after many people learn how to "cook meth", and so on.

I +1'd the original thread because hacking is extremely rare in the GTA Roleplay world mainly because not a lot of people can learn when they google "how to hack servers" like they can when they google "how to cook meth". With this suggestion, hopefully we'll have more cyber-crime, a cyber community, and many more roleplay opportunities, whereas in cooking meth already has its community, and roleplay opportunities without the need of a similar "Hollywood Methlab" suggestion.

Clearly something does need revisiting considering we got police officers who bind their miranda rights, or even a handcuff attempt but the EMS comes in and asks you "you got a paper cut? cool, first let me know your respiratory frequency, your beats per minutes, and the conditions of your cardiovascular system."

@El Mariachi can you make this into a thing? A thing that could be used not only for servers, but also for car/houses thefts and such? It would require different levels, Since it's easier to steal a 80's car than a 2000's, and even harder to steal a 2010's, same with houses.

I think this would be really epic to have, as you pass parts of the maze, some /ame's of what you are doing should appear, displaying to other players your roleplay actions, if you were to fail passing the maze (maybe a maze for each action) a wrong move would appear in your /ame failing you from hacking such a thing, of course, in a 80's car the heat of failling would be smaller, and you would likelly be able to make it once again, but if it happened in a 2000's, maybe the engine would start but the steering wheel would be stuck on it's place, and in a 2010's the alarm would begin to go off.

(Of course a admin would have to supervise these things, but it would be much better, also, the admin would be able to call the police as a NPC depending on your location, same as right now.)

This is actually a pretty good idea. :D

+1

Edited by TheNeonGuy

This should really be implemented in game as soon as possible. 

+1

I like your idea with the steps and such which could also be combined with logical operators and other stuff like repeartors.
A while ago I remade the circuitbreaker of GTA-5 which is not kind of what you said but could be combined with a time-frame and also be reworked to a step-move instead of a snake-like-minigame it is currently.

• Like 2

good luck doing this in owl