[General] - vehicle malfunction script

OwlGaming.png

Script Suggestion

What would be the name of the script(s)?-

vehicle malfunction script

What kind of script(s) are you suggesting?-
General

What is the suggestion?-
a script that would select a random player maybe every 2 hours, or a variable time, check to see if they're inside a vehicle, and cause some sort of random vehicle malfunction to occur. This could be anything from a single tire blowing out, the engine shutting off due to overheating (would be scripted in using /do's so you could tell why the engine turned off), or maybe some other mechanical failure.

What are the advantages?-
depending on the severity of the failure, it would require the player to call for a tow truck, if they IC'ly have a spare tire in their vehicle, they could RP jacking it up with the 2 ton hydraulic jack, using the tire iron to take the old one off, and put a new one on, etc. This could create RP opportunities for roadside assistance companies, could create something similar to AAA, so you get discounted rates on services, will create more RP for BoTS instead of just police incidents, and impounding illegally parked cars.

What are the disadvantages?-

You'd have people complaining saying "what the hell? this is pissing me off. ADMIN FIX MY CAR PLEASE".
It wouldn't be as simple as just driving to a pay n spray, because sometimes the script would outright disable the car until repaired by a mechanic
Cause people to QQ

Do you have any resources to support our scripters in making said suggestion?-
Not at this very moment, but I definately have some ideas for the vehicle functions/events that could prove very useful in this script

How would you go about implementing this idea?-
-

• Sad 3

22 minutes ago, Mail said:

This seems more like an inconvience to roleplayers rather than something that will create impactful roleplay.

Please no.

My question to you is this. Does your car run 100% perfect in real life? Do you always remember to top up your coolant? Do you always make sure you changed your oil? I mean IRL you may not have a car. I'm 24 and have no shame in admitting I don't drive. Its just something to think about :)

Edited by greenops011
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, greenops011 said:

My question to you is this. Does your car run 100% perfect in real life? Do you always remember to top up your coolant? Do you always make sure you changed your oil? I mean IRL you may not have a car. I'm 24 and have no shame in admitting I don't drive. Its just something to think about :)

Yes, Yes, and Yes to those questions, but no to this suggestion. just not worth it on MTA. Plus no way some of my builds will overheat with the cooling system i have.

The majority of players own brand new and exotic vehicles in owl, do you see such vehicles breaking out of nowhere in such a short term in RL? No they don't.

Their tires don't get flat all of a sudden aswell cause 80percent of the new vehicles have sensors which warns you if you are losing air.

I would vote no unless the script was limited to these vehicles older than 8-10years, plus this will stop players of buying old riced vehicles and actually give them a reason to get modern ones.

Edited by Kozinski
  • Like 3

Honestly, this seems like forced roleplay. People on owlgaming, some at least, usually clean their cars RPly and take it for maintenance and take good care of it. So it would make no sense for their car to break down like that out of nowhere.

I would vote yes /if/ the script would limit to vehicles that have not been in a pay n spray for a very long period of time, since that would actually make a little sense.

Sounds good idea though, but i think it would be more based on mileage not random car though. Or make some sort of vehicle stats, like how much have you driven with same tires or something. The more you drove, the bigger is chance to get it popped / Engine failures etc. When visiting a mechanic and RP instlaling new set of tyres, call an admin to reset the mileage of it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kozinski said:

The majority of players own brand new and exotic vehicles in owl, do you see such vehicles breaking out of nowhere in such a short term in RL? No they don't.

Their tires don't get flat all of a sudden aswell cause 80percent of the new vehicles have sensors which warns you if you are losing air.

I would vote no unless the script was limited to these vehicles older than 8-10years, plus this will stop players of buying old riced vehicles and actually give them a reason to get modern ones.

Ive had old well maintained cars IRL that never broke down once and have friends who had problems with their brand new car.  Example i used to daily this cheap polo mainly because my volvo used alot of gas and it never skipped a beat, meanwhile a guy i know who had a brand new VW scirocco  blew up his motor. My point is: Wear is unpredictable and depends on the car, weather, location (if you drive up and down mountains alot like i did) and mostly the driver. THIS script suggestion is not worth it in MTA. This is forced roleplay.

Edited by RCFIZPRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Unitts said:

No, If people want to roleplay vehicle break downs then they can already.

yeah, I guess that is true. and now that I thought about it, it would probably add a lot of unnecessary overhead to the server

3 minutes ago, JLKudaAT said:

bet thats why no1 rps a car crash. u throw on ur ski mask so they dont grab ur id and u peel it

Having a RS hauler with no intention to RP crashing into someone is a different subject than having the server RANDOMLY decide that it's time for me to RP an overheating engine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kozinski said:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/03/bad-karma-our-fisker-karma-plug-in-hybrid-breaks-down/index.htm

Exotic car, broke down twice before they could even finish their review.

6 minutes ago, Zomp said:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/03/bad-karma-our-fisker-karma-plug-in-hybrid-breaks-down/index.htm

Exotic car, broke down twice before they could even finish their review.

If your point was to use that articlec as "proof" of new cars breaking down, please read it more carefully.

"We buy about 80 cars a year and this is the first time in memory that we have had a car that is undriveable before it has finished our check-in process. "

"We encountered other problems with a Karma press car that visited the track for a few hours, and we have heard of problems at press events. In addition, we see that some owners are experiencing a variety of issue "

It was a very experiemental hybrid car from a NEW company which was only in production for a year. Its a shit car from a shit manufracturer assembled like shit. Their cars broke down for those reasons, but its stupid to assume other manufacturers would have the same problems.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nese said:

If your point was to use that articlec as "proof" of new cars breaking down, please read it more carefully.

"We buy about 80 cars a year and this is the first time in memory that we have had a car that is undriveable before it has finished our check-in process. "

"We encountered other problems with a Karma press car that visited the track for a few hours, and we have heard of problems at press events. In addition, we see that some owners are experiencing a variety of issue "

It was a very experiemental hybrid car from a NEW company which was only in production for a year. Its a shit car from a shit manufracturer assembled like shit. Their cars broke down for those reasons, but its stupid to assume other manufacturers would have the same problems.

They buy 80 vehicles per year, not specifically exotic vehicles. Making that data extremely skewed. "The majority of players own brand new and exotic vehicles in owl, do you see such vehicles breaking out of nowhere in such a short term in RL? No they don't." http://jalopnik.com/alfa-romeo-giulia-breaks-down-in-the-middle-of-track-ba-1796724914

There's plenty of exotic cars that have reliability issues right from the factory.