Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PoisonStream

MPH Vs. KM/H

The rest of the world doesn't use "retard units" (as certain meme sites refer to the metric system) as they have no direct conversion to anything else.

Although oG is based in the United States (America is the entirety of two continents), it is still a game hosted all over the world in which the majority of the player base is not from the US.

Not to mention anytime you wanted to code something for the server, MTA by default uses meters as its unit of measurement for coordinates. You'd have to painfully convert anything you implement relating to distance.

No support from me. The metric system should've been dead long ago. Be glad the speedometer even lists MPH.

2 hours ago, PoisonStream said:

I believe we should start using MPH instead of KM/H because OG is based in Merica'.

Or people will use whatever they prefer which will be the best option then using only mph because few people wanted that.

No from me. Most cars used in the server are european and they do not have MPH speedos unless they are american spec which read out both, so KPH must be used to sustain a level of realism for human error. PD already uses MPH in their crime sheets and whatnot.

8 hours ago, Justice said:

The rest of the world doesn't use "retard units" (as certain meme sites refer to the metric system) as they have no direct conversion to anything else.

Although oG is based in the United States (America is the entirety of two continents), it is still a game hosted all over the world in which the majority of the player base is not from the US.

Not to mention anytime you wanted to code something for the server, MTA by default uses meters as its unit of measurement for coordinates. You'd have to painfully convert anything you implement relating to distance.

No support from me. The metric system should've been dead long ago. Be glad the speedometer even lists MPH.

I'm really confused, I think you might be mixing metric with imperial or maybe I'm misreading it.

(I don't mean this comment as a sort of mockery, I'm genuinely confused)

It's okay how it is. Pretty sure the system for vehicles is made in km/h either way and we can switch into mph. All though, I think the road speeds should be set as MPH and the speedometer should be default MPH. It makes more sense as we are in the United States and what not. You should still be able to freely switch to kmh and stuff though.

Well, a lot of things are needed to Americanize OwlGaming. I believe the majority of Owl is European and they carry over a lot of non-American elements to their American characters, and that feels out of character. I mean you could get everyone to use Imperial units; inch, foot, yard, mile; ounce, pound, ton, nautical miles or whatever. You could use American clothing sizes, American date and time notation, American power sockets, American traffic rules, American vocabulary, American spelling; anything you like, and we wouldn't be an inch closer (no pun intended) to America.

You want OwlGaming to feel more like United States of America, you bring:

• American exceptionalism: The United States is unique among nations in a positive way, Americans should be "the world's policemen", the entire world needs their help, military intervention.
  • Environmental ignorance: More people needs to be unconcerned about climate change and global warming. More people should drive high-polluting SUVs and contribute to the American CO2 production.
  • Obnoxious patriotism.
  • We also need some more alt-right: right-wing populism, antifeminism, misogyny, homophobia, Islamophobia, Neo-Nazism, white supremacism, etc.
  • Obesity. Nearly everybody in Owl is at healthy weight, or they are underweight.

At least we got the materialism/over-consumption and the whole obsession with guns thing right, so I think we've made some progress.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt.

34 minutes ago, isomorphism said:

Well, a lot of things are needed to Americanize OwlGaming. I believe the majority of Owl is European and they carry over a lot of non-American elements to their American characters, and that feels out of character. I mean you could get everyone to use Imperial units; inch, foot, yard, mile; ounce, pound, ton, nautical miles or whatever. You could use American clothing sizes, American date and time notation, American power sockets, American traffic rules, American vocabulary, American spelling; anything you like, and we wouldn't be an inch closer (no pun intended) to America.

You want OwlGaming to feel more like United States of America, you bring:

• American exceptionalism: The United States is unique among nations in a positive way, Americans should be "the world's policemen", the entire world needs their help, military intervention.
  • Environmental ignorance: More people needs to be unconcerned about climate change and global warming. More people should drive high-polluting SUVs and contribute to the American CO2 production.
  • Obnoxious patriotism.
  • We also need some more alt-right: right-wing populism, antifeminism, misogyny, homophobia, Islamophobia, Neo-Nazism, white supremacism, etc.
  • Obesity. Nearly everybody in Owl is at healthy weight, or they are underweight.

At least we got the materialism/over-consumption and the whole obsession with guns thing right, so I think we've made some progress.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt.

I drive a Dodge Ram Runner with a .50 cal in the back while shouting "MURICA!". No joke. Proud of me?

@termosas I even dug out his lawn with the dodge 

what's the big deal? Use the system you like and if you need to switch the system, Just google it with the number and it gives it to you.  I'am from europe and I dont understand MPH system too good, Because its like around 1,6 km per mile and I have bad math. So I use KPH. If someone annouces tops etc as miles, I just google it. 

Are you guys forgetting that most cars come with their speedometer showing both KM/H and MP/H? I get why you'd wanna change but for those people who enjoy KM/H more shouldn't be restricted from not using it. Personally I used KM/H all the time even though in Ireland we use MP/H in a lot of places. But uh, I switched over to MP/H because PD uses it mostly now.