Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justice

[General] Fishing System

Should this system exist? Would you use it?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should this system exist? Would you use it?

• Yes, and I would use it.
    • Yes, but I probably wouldn't use it.
    • Don't care either way.
    • No. (Let me know why in the comments!)

OwlGaming.png

Script Suggestion

What would be the name of the script(s)?-

fishing-system

What kind of script(s) are you suggesting?-
A relatively simple client and server exchange. Client types /cast, client checks for nearby water and if they're holding a rod (poolcue). If they are, it casts their rod and does the SWORD_IDLE anim. Upon reaching a random timer between 60 and 300 seconds, they catch a fish, or not. Depending on how lucky they are. The system gives them a generic food item with the fish description.

What is the suggestion?-
The ability to fish without needing to be in deep ocean. Not for money, but for food. This food could then be RPly sold to restaurants or other players, or cooked and eaten for oneself.

What are the advantages?-
You catch fish as an actual food which you can eat or distribute.

People that RP cooking will enjoy this.

You can have sport fishing competitions to see who catches the biggest fish or the largest of a specific species of fish.

Restaurants all over LS will be serving fish and partaking in the fish market, making LS a fish capital.

You will be able to be a fisherman as an RP way of business, creating more use for in game boats and an entire industry.

What are the disadvantages?-

More client side and server side scripts running.

Do you have any resources to support our scripters in making said suggestion?-
Fully working script. THIS LINK WILL ALWAYS CONTAIN THE MOST UP TO DATE VERSION

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwfZJZQQNkvkWEhYaGVSRm5vVTA/view?usp=sharing

How would you go about implementing this idea?-

Run my script, see if there's anything you don't like. If there is, change it and let me know. If not then happy camping!

Oh, and try to figure out how to get it to check for a real fishing rod and just show the poolcue in hand when they're fishing, so people don't have to have a poolcue but can use the in-game rod instead.

Screenshots

Spoiler

ltJHU8K.png

txwUuR3.jpg

F1hs3VG.png

tfti3vb.png

rGQ6oe5.png

EDITS (oldest to most recent):

- Removed a reference to custom code from a previous server I used this script on.

- Removed damage caused by catching the easter egg fish, the Bluefin Piranha. It will still "attempt" to bite you when you catch it, it's up to the player to roleplay it accordingly.

- Decreased the chance of catching the Bluefin Piranha from 0.1% to 0.01%.

- Increased the maximum length of the common 25 fish species to 48 inches from 24.

- Now references the item system for a fishing rod instead of the Pool cue weapon. (Thanks Unitts)

- Increased the chance of not catching a fish to 65% instead of 55%, to further control the influx of fish. Given that there's 26 types of fish to catch that should be a good amount to allow for sport fishing without spending hours trying to catch a specific species.

Disclosing the species you can catch from this script:

local catches = { [1] = "Jack Mackerel", [2] = "Chinook Salmon", [3] = "Salmon", [4] = "Blue Catfish", [5] = "Clear Lake Hitch", [6] = "Winter Steelhead", [7] = "Coastal Rainbow Trout", [8] = "Common Carp", [9] = "Red Shiner", [10] = "Redeye Bass", [11] = "White Catfish", [12] = "Speckled Dace", [13] = "Logperch", [14] = "Black Bullhead", [15] = "Black Crappie", [16] = "Bluegill", [17] = "Brook Trout", [18] = "Brown Trout", [19] = "Californian Tilapia", [20] = "Channel Catfish", [21] = "Halibut", [22] = "Prickly Sculpin", [23] = "Coastal Cutthroat Trout", [24] = "Eagle Lake Tui Chub", [25] = "Largemouth Bass"}

Most of the fish are freshwater fish to account for being able to catch them from shore and on lakes, seeing as I use a simple check for water instead of having colshapes everywhere for different hotspots. Please roleplay appropriately and don't go fishing in Glen Park's pond... :'(

And the Bluefin Piranha as an easter egg fish with a separate catch roll from the rest of the fish.

- Separated species of fish from common and uncommon catches, changing the chance of landing a catch up to 50%.

- Common fish now caught at a rate of (8250 - 5000) * 2 = 65% of the time you land a catch. Sizes of 4 to 20 inches.

local catches = { [1] = "Common Carp", [2] = "Yellow Perch", [3] = "Brook Trout", [4] = "Black Crappie", [5] = "Logperch", [6] = "Brown Trout", [7] = "Prickly Sculpin" }

- Uncommon fish caught when you roll outside the elseif statement encompassing common catches (the remaining 34.99%). Sizes of 6 to 54 inches.

local catches = { [1] = "Jack Mackerel", [2] = "Chinook Salmon", [3] = "Salmon", [4] = "Blue Catfish", [5] = "Clear Lake Hitch", [6] = "Winter Steelhead", [7] = "Coastal Rainbow Trout", [8] = "Red Shiner", [9] = "Redeye Bass", [10] = "White Catfish", [11] = "Black Bullhead", [12] = "Bluegill", [13] = "Californian Tilapia", [14] = "Channel Catfish", [15] = "Halibut", [16] = "Coastal Cutthroat Trout", [17] = "Eagle Lake Tui Chub", [18] = "Largemouth Bass"}

- Bluefin Piranha (3-16 inches) caught by rolling a 9999 on the RNG wheel. Will attempt to bite when you catch it. (No scripted damage, just RP.)

- Removed the Speckled Dace catch, as it is only 20-55mm long and a breed of minnow. No one wants to catch those.

- Fixed a bug which would allow people to fish from land far from water as long as they were standing on a boat.

- Decreased the time it takes to catch a fish from a boat from 60s-300s to 30s-215s. Land time to catch remains at 60s-300s.

- Added Haddock to the list of common catches.

SCRIPT IS NOW FINISHED AND READY FOR LAUNCH

whenever the devs are ready ofc

12 minutes ago, Unitts said:

@Justice for the script to use the fishing rod you can use this instead of getPedWeapon(localPlayer) == 7

exports["item-system"]:hasItem(localPlayer, 49, 1)

Downloaded your script and tested it, pretty dope. I hope to see this get implemented. 

This makes sense. The server I made it for previously had nowhere you could get fishing rods though and I didn't know how to reference the item system. But this way there would be no visual rod in hand though.

Just now, Justice said:

This makes sense. The server I made it for previously had nowhere you could get fishing rods though and I didn't know how to reference the item system. But this way there would be no visual rod in hand though.

Yeah, that is true, there is a way to determine if an artifact is active or not but not sure myself... Either way, the basic item checker is just as good IMO

31 minutes ago, ResidentPeach said:

as long as every tom dick or barry doesn't sit out on boat like a proper jobsworth nicking all the fish it's fine

Luckily enough with this system it has one flaw. Well two. The first is there's UNLIMITED FISH! I don't use any colshapes with limited quantities of fish, only detection of water so you don't have to painstakingly put colshapes everywhere.

The second flaw is that in order to get fishing from a boat in the ocean to work, I had to make it check for the surface of the boat since it obscures the water detection. So you can fish from a boat on land. xD

36 minutes ago, Unitts said:

Yeah, that is true, there is a way to determine if an artifact is active or not but not sure myself... Either way, the basic item checker is just as good IMO

Can use the bone attach system to put the fishing rod in your hand, and delete it from the overworld when fishing gets canceled. That would probably be better. Do you have an example of referencing the bone attach system? Cuz I don't have any means of testing any rootSource scripts.

Also could create a new Fish item with a fish icon and fish overworld model (the fish exist afaik in gta sa) instead of food, but too much work :<

Just now, Justice said:

Can use the bone attach system to put the fishing rod in your hand, and delete it from the overworld when fishing gets canceled. That would probably be better. Do you have an example of referencing the bone attach system? Cuz I don't have any means of testing any rootSource scripts.

Owl has a resource called artifacts for placing the fishing rod in the hand, just taking a look at it you can check if they're wearing the artifact using 'exports.artifacts:isPlayerWearingArtifact(thePlayer, "rod")' I think, not too sure though as never played around with this directly.

Just now, Unitts said:

Owl has a resource called artifacts for placing the fishing rod in the hand, just taking a look at it you can check if they're wearing the artifact using 'exports.artifacts:isPlayerWearingArtifact(thePlayer, "rod")' I think, not too sure though as never played around with this directly.

Well for this to work we have to figure out a way to attach the rod in the first place.

18 minutes ago, Unitts said:

Owl already has this, you click the rod item in your inventory

Since this is a thing, I just made the script check if the player has a fishing rod or not. It's easier, and we can just leave it up to the player to put it in their hand for immersion or not.

Script has been updated.

Updated the script to change the 55% chance of not catching a fish to a 65% chance of not catching a fish, due to the possible popularity that this could have and that the interval between possible catches is only 1 - 5 minutes. Don't want the supply of fish to exceed the demand by too extreme a margin.

Sorry guys, pray to RNGsus.

EDIT: Completed. Separated some species of fish into more common catches.

Should I separate the fish into common, uncommon, and rare catches? Currently the original 25 species of fish all have the same catch rate. What do you think?

If so, which species should be common, which should be uncommon, and which should be rare? I don't know too much about fish myself.

EDIT: I might just separate the catch rates for Common Carp, Brook Trout, and Black Crappie into a more common catch and insert the common Yellow Perch into this common roll as well.

EDIT 2: Catch rates now separated between common and uncommon fish.

22 minutes ago, Law said:

Class, do you have a small sneak peak to show us of how it works visually or is it still in the works?

I would say the script is done now. Just tweaking catch rates and stuff. I also don't have a fix for fishing from a boat on land, :( and probably can't fix that part in its current form due to the way I look for water. Basically what the issue was, was that if players were standing on a boat they couldn't fish because when the script checked for water around them the boat was blocking the raycasting used to check for water. So I just made it so that if they were standing on a boat that would also work. But it means that people can fish from land if they're standing on a boat, which might look a bit foolish. Would just have to educate people not to do it that way is all, I think... seeing as they can fish from the shore without a boat anyway.

I had it working on a similar source last year, but I don't have a testing environment to show you unfortunately.

@Unitts might be able to show you. Psst, you need to download the updates first Unitts.

I've done all the work I'm gonna do on it, to be honest. The scripters can tweak rates if they want easily without creating bugs, and it should be bug free as is now.

Cool concept and idea.

Perhaps it'd be worth setting a feature that detects what kind of water you're in? Perhaps make it more likely to get certain fish/more fish out at ocean, rather than in a tiny lake?

3 minutes ago, SazLore said:

Cool concept and idea.

Perhaps it'd be worth setting a feature that detects what kind of water you're in? Perhaps make it more likely to get certain fish/more fish out at ocean, rather than in a tiny lake?

I would agree. Though that involves setting up colshapes that encompass every body of water in the game. Could be decent for like 2.0, but I'd prefer to get something basic for everyone in the game as soon as possible to start fishing as the current fishing system doesn't actually give you any real fish and you must be in deep ocean and on a boat to even attempt fishing currently.

Plus as it stands currently it's a really light script. I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Just now, Justice said:

I would agree. Though that involves setting up colshapes that encompass every body of water in the game. Could be decent for like 2.0, but I'd prefer to get something basic for everyone in the game as soon as possible to start fishing as the current fishing system doesn't actually give you any real fish and you must be in deep ocean and on a boat to even attempt fishing currently.

Fair play. I get it'd be a nightmare to set up. Could be cool for future versions depending how received this is.

2 minutes ago, SazLore said:

Fair play. I get it'd be a nightmare to set up. Could be cool for future versions depending how received this is.

I'm just waiting for some people to do sport fishing and see who can catch the biggest fish and get it stuffed. :D