Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greenops011

Learning to script

I think it would be really nice to have a list of good starting points for those who want to learn how to script. @Hurley, @tree, where did you learn to script? How did you guys get started? What advice do you have for people wanting to get started in scripting.

If anyone else has any good, reliable, resources, or sites (and by resources, I mean links to documentation, tutorials, etc. not MTA resources), feel free to share them. I'm sure I'm not the only person who would love to start scripting, but needs a good launching point

Basic understanding of interpreted languages leads you to learning how to write Lua code anyway, so I would recommend Python or JavaScript to start with. Something that's applicable in the real world. I started with Python in college and as such learned the basic programming skills from that anyway, so Lua isn't nearly as hard for me as if I was picking it up from scratch.

Aside from that, anything you want to do specifically with MTA can be solved with some critical thinking and good use of the MTA Wiki where you'll find all the MTA functions you can use to make your scripts a reality.