Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chaos

Payday changes

Big no to the offline thing, people with no taxes at all will stack up money really fast. keep it as it is or make the paychecks every 4 hours or something.

Weekly would be nice. If on faction, count the hours or minutes you have been on duty and pay them off once a week. It gives a bit realism on it, you wont get paid every hour irl. But month is way too long time for RP server tho :D

At JGC we pay most of our employees based on the work they've done. We're a legal faction and not a governmen one, so we don't have an unlimited faction budget. We have to always make a profit and not be in a deficit, and one of the ways we accomplish this is to cut useless expenses such as payday wages, with which you could technically stay online 24/7 and get ~$500 every hour - which could end up costing your employer quite a budget if everyone in the company does it. Instead, when we get a contract in Finalbuild, for example, we calculate the realistic hours of work it'd take our employees to complete the job (for example: 15 hours to build a small outdoor parking lot) and we pay them ~$500-700 for each hour, depending on their rank (architects, construction workers, foremen get paid different amounts). This, I believe, is the most practical and economically beneficial way to pay your employees. This way, if the employees are working, the company is making money, and so are they. If they're not working, then the company isn't making money from them and thus they're not getting paid.

What owl could do to implement a similiar system is to make wages not just hourly, but for on-duty spent time. And then there could be some limits to how many hours you could be paid for everday (you wouldn't work 20 hours a day irl) - for example 8 or 10, or whatever the employer decides. It could be done so that you're paid at the end of your shift (when you go off-duty, but it'd be shitty if you log out without doing it), or simply at the end of each hour you've spent on duty.

More often than not, I RP being poor even when I actually have money. Makes no real difference to me whether it stays the same or changes...

However... I've noticed some people's motive behind a push for change may very well do the opposite. Some say we want less money floating around in the server? Well! If paydays were to be received while offline... One person with 5 different alts they actively play (Exaggeration but bare with me, many people play 2-3+ active characters at any given time) then that person is going to get paid across all of those characters. Assuming the system pays out only to ones who are active, otherwise we'd be paying a thousand inactive characters too. 

So instead of causing less money to flow around the server it would have the opposite effect. And on just a small point about people logging to avoid taxes: those people logging to avoid taxes are also logging to avoid their paycheck, so... I mean I know it doesn't mean much to someone with a lot of money already, but I don't think paychecks offline would be a good solution to the taxes issue.

Just a thought, I have no current issues with the system as is, not that I think it's realistic or ideal by any means, I just don't care either way.

Paydays are kind of awkward to really manage and balance. There'll always be ways to abuse or screw stuff over.

LSRP do it so you have to go to the bank to cash it, I believe. Which could be something, but..all that does is make it an inconvenience more than anything in my eyes.

The system we have at the moment is what's been used for god knows how long, and always worked.

People logging to avoid taxes is moreso an OOC issue, imo. It's practically logging to avoid roleplay. One reply I read here (I forget who by already, sorry!) said about making taxes paid individually, which I like. Have it set so you pick which taxes you pay, and you pay them manually. It could work with some sort of Direct Debit system which would be great in general if something like that cropped up.

That way anyone dodging taxes would have an alert sent to PD/Gov or what-have-you. Maybe an auto-APB or such, new crime for the crimesheet, RP that can come from it.

I think the key thing that is important to remember in it all though; Any changes that are done, it shouldn't be made to massively inconvenience people. Some people RP not having cars, and walk everywhere. having to walk down to the bank or city hall every hour/day just to cash payday/taxes would get very, very infuriating.

5 hours ago, SazLore said:

Paydays are kind of awkward to really manage and balance. There'll always be ways to abuse or screw stuff over.

LSRP do it so you have to go to the bank to cash it, I believe. Which could be something, but..all that does is make it an inconvenience more than anything in my eyes.

The system we have at the moment is what's been used for god knows how long, and always worked.

People logging to avoid taxes is moreso an OOC issue, imo. It's practically logging to avoid roleplay. One reply I read here (I forget who by already, sorry!) said about making taxes paid individually, which I like. Have it set so you pick which taxes you pay, and you pay them manually. It could work with some sort of Direct Debit system which would be great in general if something like that cropped up.

That way anyone dodging taxes would have an alert sent to PD/Gov or what-have-you. Maybe an auto-APB or such, new crime for the crimesheet, RP that can come from it.

I think the key thing that is important to remember in it all though; Any changes that are done, it shouldn't be made to massively inconvenience people. Some people RP not having cars, and walk everywhere. having to walk down to the bank or city hall every hour/day just to cash payday/taxes would get very, very infuriating.

+1

Discussed at the UA meeting. Community didn't see a real need to change this so we won't! :) 

Continued discussion can be done on a script suggestion if someone has some ideas.