Welcome to OwlGaming Community

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snipes

Are Towing Factions Dead?

30 posts in this topic

My question to everyone is: "Are Towing Factions Dead?" 

For many years I've always joined Towing factions in servers and it is always the same thing over and over.

People join the towing faction, enjoy towing vehicles and then one day they are bored of it and fed up of all the complaints they receive.

Myself who is currently in the Management role is trying to find new ways of making it fun for people joining.

Now I do come up with new ideas and I'm always asking for support from the community and all I receive is " Towing factions are 

never meant to be a main faction to entertain people all the time, Its a side job really. If they get bored they can go off duty and have fun."

Does everyone think the same? Is towing factions just a dead horse PD keep around because they CBA to do it themselves?

I want to change the towing faction, I want to make it fun. I want to make it the faction people want to join and I want to always come up with new ideas to improve it.

But the issue I get is people are getting bored now and what something new.

So I ask you the people of this server. What new stuff can we do? And what new stuff will you allow us to do because every idea I have came up with or others have came up with everyone jumps on the bandwagon of abuse or no because of this story that happened before.

Do you not realise that your the ones that moan that Towing factions don't answer your Department call but also moan saying they cant do that?
They are bored and ever suggestion you say no to they say no back and get dishearten with it.

So again I ask the people of this server, What new stuff can we do which you will allow us to do?

20 minutes ago, JameZ said:

When your faction denies competent people and then you complain about people not joining. I don't believe that you have a say.

No offence but, the faction has become robotic. What you must do is work with the possibilities that you have, start by discussing these issues with your members and encourage them to create more roleplay. Host events that recognise the faction, start making appearances with the media just as anyone else does.

You aren't exactly doing much in terms of Public Relations, hence why you think that the faction is dead. You are saying that you aren't receiving any support, yet I honestly haven't seen you rising any of these issues to the public. The community will always be there to help, only if you ask.

I'm not complaining about people joining. Joining the faction is fine. It's keeping people interested in staying in the faction which is the problem.

if you look at our script suggestions you will see that we are trying to improve the faction but the community doesn't want it to change. 

I've tried hosting events but when you have a team of dishearten people because of something the community has said and refused us doing. They don't want to do an event. I don't want to do an event when people are always giving negative feedback. Some of the negative feedback is from past severs or past faction names like "Rapid Towing". Still to this day BTS (or BoTS) is getting stick from what rapid did.

I want to change the faction and I'm asking for your help here. Give us ideas you ain't going to decline.

44 minutes ago, Snipes said:

I'm not complaining about people joining. Joining the faction is fine. It's keeping people interested in staying in the faction which is the problem.

if you look at our script suggestions you will see that we are trying to improve the faction but the community doesn't want it to change. 

I've tried hosting events but when you have a team of dishearten people because of something the community has said and refused us doing. They don't want to do an event. I don't want to do an event when people are always giving negative feedback. Some of the negative feedback is from past severs or past faction names like "Rapid Towing". Still to this day BTS (or BoTS) is getting stick from what rapid did.

I want to change the faction and I'm asking for your help here. Give us ideas you ain't going to decline.

You must expect criticism, your suggestions were not supported because of what reputation the faction has. I am not saying that the faction is bad, but the reputation that goes around is horrid, and you should start working on that. You are focusing on the OOC suggestions, ignoring what you should be actually doing which is improving the faction's IC behavior. The suggestions I've personally witnessed were completely pointless and unnecessary, instead you can think of any other solution that might actually benefit the server.

Chillz and Conkers like this

well it's simple, why do people accept the hideous work of towing? Because they like cars, extend the RP, host car rally's, offer unique repair and custimaztion options, show the PD you're worth trusting and send extensive logs or a damage report of vehicles you impounded but are clearly shot.

I suggest you got get competent enough lead. Be more strict against your personal, and create more RP for your personal. As Damage reports. As you are too nice to your employee's, as I have found out. Maybe you should hire new leads, and get your hierarchy working more often.

+1 to about everything Ice Said.
I remember back in the day (on another server) we used to have alot of ingame auctions on cars that had been in the depot for long time. 
Sometimes when we had too many cars we would host a demolition derby and give winner a nice car from the lot (Also great way to wreck and delete unwanted cheap cars)

And also maybe you could strip some of the cars for their modifications and put those parts for sale at the HQ.

Also i applied for a job there so i hope to see some minor changes in the future.

45 minutes ago, BeyondSalvation said:

well it's simple, why do people accept the hideous work of towing? Because they like cars, extend the RP, host car rally's, offer unique repair and custimaztion options, show the PD you're worth trusting and send extensive logs or a damage report of vehicles you impounded but are clearly shot.

We do have logs, which PD can others can view on request.

Its more down to the Roleplay, Everyone is bored of the same routine of answer department calls, getting treated like they mean nothing to the server. I want to shake things up a little.

3 minutes ago, Ice said:

The reason I wasn't quite satisfied with towing faction back in the days is that you guys used to have that minimal cap of towed cars per week. With that being said, whole stuff was turning into an actual job instead of a fun time  (not saying it was a HORRIBLE experience, no, I met a lot of good people there, many of who are still friends of mine, even though we're far from that towing RP by now... but still, some moments were annoying)

Secondly, faction's actions are quite repetitive.

Just to compare - in PD you work as traffic officer, participate in chases, solve minor cases of two drunk people who want to beat shit of each other and do many many many many other things.

In FD you save people, and there are really a lot of situations which require you to act different way. Plus you always have an opportunity to view others' roleplay, as in hear the story from witness like why was that house burned, or that guy killed etc etc etc.

ASH provides you with similar stuff. Even though it's mostly about /me's and /do's, you still have a lot of stories to view from the side...

Now, let's view tower's job:
You tow cars to your base... That's all about it. Oh, and sometimes you also respond to PD's distress call in order to tow a car. gg.

That's about whole activities you do at towing company these days.

Problems (in my eyes) :

Inactivity. Hate me if you want but so far it's #1 problem of your faction. Even if you make shit ton of entertainment, you still need more people. About 2 weeks ago I needed a bike towerd, because it was blocking the way out for my car (btw hi that troll who made it). Took me at least 40 minutes and over 3 calls to finally get a person who was off duty and then wait for about 15-20 more minutes for them to come.

#2 problem is actual people. I don't know what kind of people do you accept these days, but I can tell that a lot of them are newbies. Not that I had anything against newbies, but you know how majority treats them on this server, hence why we're discussing "reputation" issue here.

#3 lack of activities. As I already mentioned above, job gets boring rather quickly.

#4 lack of admins on duty. Not your fault but I still remember how annoying it was to wait for an admin to unlock someone's bike and then let you tow it away.

Ways to solve (at least part of the issues) :
#1 Get more people in faction. Maybe try bringing up a bit more old friends of yours, who would be able to give you a hand if anything. (Remember? Big part of your faction consists of newcomers)

#2 make more activities. With all honesty, I do sound like captain obvious now, but still...

1. Make bigger variety of jobs (Why do rapid towing's vehicle sales shop is ALWAYS locked? No matter when I check it out). Make Mechanic job actually USED by your company. I remember when I was still part of RT, HQ had special room for mechanic's job.

2. Make INSIDE events. You remember the times when @Koguchi let Rapid Towing, don't you? One of the key goals he kept, was putting efforts into his employees. I clearly remember we had parties hosted by HQ, some kind of races (yeah I know how most people treat "ricers" here, but what I suggest here is making a small IC interview \ quiz, IG or via forums, with each employee, where you'd ask them what do they like \dislike about company, what are their interests, what do they see themselves in the next 10 years etc etc etc. Then using that info try analyze their interests and come up with something majority would clearly like)

3. Make OUTSIDE events. Again, returning to @Koguchi's experience: We used to make huge ass sales on car lot, which brought a lot of people in and kept attention on our faction, at least for a short time. Koguchi also made some public drag\drift races, aswell as (if I recall correctly) few charity races. Nowadays SACMA (or whatever its current name) is in charge of races, so you could either contact them, or think about doing something else, except races.

4. Maybe keep some kind of mini-RP-school, since, once again, a lot of players in your company are newcomers. I remember when I just joined server, before koguchi purchased RT, it was led by @Theno, @Franco and one more guy from Canada (sorry mate, I forgot ur name, how could I QQ, so no mention). I was really green back then so quite often I was asking OOC questions at faction chat. I'm sure many green players DON'T do that these days.

5. Encourage polite behavior both IC and OOC.

Remember, being polite IC is important because RT is a big company. I've just never seen dicks on lower ranks in big companies.

OOC is because you're in charge of many newcomers. You know how sensitive some of them are. Believe me, you just don't need that extra drama on your back.

Phew, that was a lot of letters. Hopefully I helped at least a bit.

You have covered pretty much everything I am bringing up. PD have all the fun, its different every day and if it feels like a job who cares cause PD is fun.

People get bored of towing and yeah it feels like a job some days. Also its fucking annoying when no one answers your call for your bike because half of the faction has made new alts to join PD.

My Answers to your way to solve.
#1. I'm always trying to get new people in. Tried to bring some old friends but those old friends said "Nah towing factions are the same old shit and it's boring"
#2. Every idea I have given has been shot down by the faction and Gov ( yes we have to ask gov to do anything)
1. We are trying so hard to get Mechanics but everyone we have hired doesn't want to do any mechanic roleplay and all the good mechanics are in PD like @Humour for example.
The Sales department is going though a revamp at the moment. We stopped sales for a few weeks as we had no cars to sell and we wanted to make a slight back log of vehicles, so that in future events we still have cars to sell.
2 & 3. I am trying to host event within the faction, One of them was Go Karting but the event got canceled due to lack of interest. Also we asked Gov if we could run our own Go Kart track, which would respark the mechanic division as there daily tasks would be fixing go karts and building Go Karts, While also doing Mechanic dutys when customers want things installing on there vehicles. This got declined because apparently Towtruck companies don't do this. Plus with us being part of gov they also said Gov doesn't do this.
4. This is a good idea and yes I feel it should be enforced.
5. I've always asked people to be polite and professional. We have been issuing punishments out if they haven't. ( if you see someone being rude, please let us know ICly or OOCly as it isn't tolerated) 

Nese, Snap, Ice and 1 other like this

What I am saying in this post is. How do you change a faction which everyone is bored of.

I enjoy towing and yeah it becomes a job of rinse and repeat. Same tasks performed daily. I suggested in the scripting about Parking tickets. Over in the UK we have Traffic Wardens. They issue parking tickets but have no handcuffs, no police badges because they are not police officers. They don't even have police training or a background of being a police officer. All it is is writing tickets up and putting them on cars.

When I saw that script it switched on a light bulb. I thought yeah why not set up another division just on Traffic Wardens. But I knew 100% everyone on the server would complain but I still posted it cause I still stand by that It shouldn't just be PD and that it will bring more roleplay to the Towing faction. I hate having my car towed but I would rather have a parking ticket and it have like a warning saying if this vehicle isnt moved withing 48 hours it will be towed. And also it would bring Roleplay to car parks. Have someone patrol on foot around a car park.

Being in a towing faction is boring and when people are bored people don't perform and go somewhere else. The lifespan of a towtruck operator on servers is 6 months for me if your lucky. A life span of a PD officer can last 3 to 4 different servers and that's not including stat transfers because they got CKed. 

The community disagreed with your suggestion because the faction doesn't have quite the reputation it should. As I mentioned earlier, start internally fixing things up. The recruitment system needs to change, enforce a ZTP as the PD does. The outcome? You'll witness how much everything will improve.

Let me know if myself or any of the UA can assist in making things more interesting for your faction to promote some more RP.

Conkers, Franco and Snipes like this

Let's be honest here,

Its a towing faction, you pick up a car and you take it to HQ to impound it, nothing interesting about it. This is a faction for the newer players to learn how to RP, it's a great way to learn, it's how I learned myself in RT. BOTS will always have new members because new members come to the community and usually the newbies decide for towing faction. You can't expect some senior roleplayers to actually be active in the faction as a driver lol and you also can't make something really interesting to get them to actually be active. You could make a service division and offer different types of mechanical services.

Snap likes this

didnt you lead the faction yourself?

It's not fun if you make it repetitive for yourself and that is usually a sign that you're not very creative. Try giving your character more depth while you're in such repetitive jobs, similar to how you would have in real life, what would you do if you were stuck in a dead end job and how would you make it somewhat entertaining just to heave yourself through the task time and time again?

This can be just stopping off for a simple coffee break somewhere even if nobody is there with you, anything besides sitting in a truck all of the time trying to find cheap pickings will help you find motivation to actually continue role-playing under that faction. Any job no matter how luxurious it is must have a character with depth, otherwise you're just left with a boring routine that lives a robotic lifestyle.

Franco likes this

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Let me know if myself or any of the UA can assist in making things more interesting for your faction to promote some more RP.

Yes please. I have came up with a new idea for the faction which I am in the stages of posting on the BoTS forums.

@Snipes from what i've seen now a days that big majority of the players  would rather steal the cars rather then towing them. Lets hope for the best.

11 hours ago, RCFIZPRO said:

@Snipes from what i've seen now a days that big majority of the players  would rather steal the cars rather then towing them. Lets hope for the best.

People always jump on the "BOTS steals our cars" bandwagon but I've never seen anyone actually making a complaint about it???????

Snipes likes this

2 hours ago, usev25 said:

People always jump on the "BOTS steals our cars" bandwagon but I've never seen anyone actually making a complaint about it???????

tbh, we can't even steal them if we wanted to. A. This level of corruption isn't allowed. B. Even if we stole it and then took it to the impound, we have to fill out paperwork with SS's of the vehicle before towing. Would end up being fired for illegal tows lol

Snipes likes this

23 hours ago, usev25 said:

i never said BOTS employees, i said people as in Players prefer being crooks  then work, i'm not talking about the way its structured and its employees, far from that. Now a days with the uprise in illegal roleplay i've noticed and heard from other factions alot of players tend to jump on their illegal alt just to not work.

I always saw BoTS as a faction for newer roleplayers who are still developing their ability to roleplay. After completing their basic grinding at RSHaul and get bored, the first faction most players seemed to go for was Rapid Towing which has since converted into BoTS. I can't tell if it's still like that but being as honest as possible, the faction always saw the induction of lower-than-average roleplayers. Every encounter I've had with a BoTS member the last two years as an LEO has been 'greet > tell them what car to take > say thanks > they tow and move on with life'.

I tried creating a San Andreas Towing last year, which started out quite successful and eventually led to a downfall due to the lack of interest in the faction and the lack of script support. I remember we had some friendly rivalry and competition developing between us which was exciting and gave something else to work for - competition is one of the greatest motivators and because there are no other towing factions, BoTS doesn't really have any goals, standards or the worry of competition to go through and frankly probably never will because it's the only towing faction that will be able to function which is a shame as having a rival company would provide motivation for not only the faction leaders, but the members too - display themselves as better than the opposition, trying to outdo them and be better, etc. and this is all what leads to continuous development in a faction. Since this is one of the things you guys don't have to worry about you should still attempt to keep a continuous spark alive by constantly introducing new and exciting things for members and for the public to see.

The fact that you attract new players and don't enforce roleplay/policies in my eyes has resulted in the robotic & repetitive group that it is today. I've never had a faction member from BoTS arrive on scene and ask me "how's it going" or "hey I hope everything's alright today officer", it's always along the lines of "hey, which car? "our lot or yours?", never have I drove down a street and saw a towing faction member parked up in front of a popped bonnet, roleplaying fixing it on the roadside - immersive things like this that the faction can create and with a lot more potential but it's not happening

all in all, I suggest you enforce roleplay standards (to an extent as to not scare off developing roleplays, but encourage members to attempt roleplay further), it's about quality - but having members who use binds to tow cars the same method every time is evidently going to lead to it hitting a brick wall due to the excessive repetition. Do something different, have public relation open days, hell even organise some car meets where you offer vehicle repairs or events

writing this at 4am sorry if it make 0 sense

Krakkfaen likes this

8 hours ago, Skully said:

The fact that you attract new players and don't enforce roleplay/policies in my eyes has resulted in the robotic & repetitive group that it is today. I've never had a faction member from BoTS arrive on scene and ask me "how's it going" or "hey I hope everything's alright today officer", it's always along the lines of "hey, which car? "our lot or yours?", never have I drove down a street and saw a towing faction member parked up in front of a popped bonnet, roleplaying fixing it on the roadside - immersive things like this that the faction can create and with a lot more potential but it's not happening

I always tried to open conversations like this, sometimes I had a great conversation with officers but others just ignored me like "I have an arrest report to fill, fuck off." What I'm saying is, doesn't look like police officers want to have a chat, I think that they have little respect for the people over at BoTS since they are "the beginner faction". I'm not sure how it's like now but it at least was like that when I worked at BoTS, and I'm not saying that everyone was like that people like @EDR and you @Skully were always up for a chat and I'm really happy about that.

Skully and Mail like this

3 hours ago, Krakkfaen said:

I always tried to open conversations like this, sometimes I had a great conversation with officers but others just ignored me like "I have an arrest report to fill, fuck off." What I'm saying is, doesn't look like police officers want to have a chat, I think that they have little respect for the people over at BoTS since they are "the beginner faction". 

Trust me, I don't think that attitude is only towards BoTS. I've found a lot (but not all) of members of the LSPD are very exclusionary when it comes to their roleplay, probably because they are only interested in the mindless cops and robbers shtick they joined to be a part of. It got to the point on my main character where she's just gave up trying to interact with the faction at all. It sucks, but there's not much you can do about it.

Anyway this thread isn't about the LSPD so I'll go back on topic. I don't really know what to tell you OP, I guess your faction lacks developed/interesting characters. When you roleplay a job, it shouldn't really be the job itself that brings all the enjoyment in the roleplay. It should be character interaction. If the job is just treated robotically like “drive here, tow car with bind" you're bound to have this problem. The only way you get around that is to enforce higher roleplay standards and create roleplay events that would attract characters that are more than just "tow truck workers". Maybe the parking ticket thing would work if it meant they would patrol around on foot in areas ticketing cars. I can see a capable roleplayer with an established character use that to create some interesting roleplay.

Krakkfaen likes this

3 hours ago, Mail said:

Trust me, I don't think that attitude is only towards BoTS. I've found a lot (but not all) of members of the LSPD are very exclusionary when it comes to their roleplay, probably because they are only interested in the mindless cops and robbers shtick they joined to be a part of. It got to the point on my main character where she's just gave up trying to interact with the faction at all. It sucks, but there's not much you can do about it.

Yeah, but that's not what I'm trying to say. PD is a great faction and all that, I would love to RP with them but I feel like other GOV factions and players have little respect for BoTS. @Snipes over here just wanted some ideas for BoTS to make a better faction and that's great!

To be honest, this was the first faction I joined, and yes, I do feel like it's a beginner faction where you can learn to roleplay and all that stuff, but people still have little respect for BoTS. People should have respect for everyone and all the factions on the server no matter how small they are. What I'm trying to say is, at least show some respect for BoTS and if you call them a beginner faction you could at least try to open a conversation yourself and help them learn to roleplay so they can become a bigger faction and a better faction.

Snipes likes this

Towing, medical factions, etc are all dead because most people don't choose to roleplay with you. Many people are forced to roleplay with you, which because of the MTA/GTA mentality of wanting to "Win" at the "game", no one plays nice or fun, and when the person you're roleplaying with is being snobby and not having fun, that toxicity carries right over.

Law, Mail and Krakkfaen like this