Sign in to follow this  
MindScape

[External Websites Rule - YouTube] - Revise

Every IRL website should be able to be used in-characterly, it is common sense. This does not only include Youtube but also Instagram, Twitter or Facebook as social media websites, 9gag as entertainment, any worldwide created website you can think of. People already do it but never get punished, otherwise the entire server would get jailed for using Instagram photos on Linkbook or Findbook which would technically be MetaGaming according to your rules (FB isn't listed on that list so you should add it too if you want to keep this rule btw).

Instead of having a list of websites that can be used, make a list of websites that cannot be used for obvious reasons (i.e. you cannot roleplay browsing on oG forums - would make absolutely no sense to do so; or watch an Youtube video from an oG player that was uploaded for OOC purposes, etc).

1 hour ago, Shaderz said:

Every IRL website should be able to be used in-characterly, it is common sense. This does not only include Youtube but also Instagram, Twitter or Facebook as social media websites, 9gag as entertainment, any worldwide created website you can think of. People already do it but never get punished, otherwise the entire server would get jailed for using Instagram photos on Linkbook or Findbook which would technically be MetaGaming according to your rules (FB isn't listed on that list so you should add it too if you want to keep this rule btw).

Instead of having a list of websites that can be used, make a list of websites that cannot be used for obvious reasons (i.e. you cannot roleplay browsing on oG forums - would make absolutely no sense to do so; or watch an Youtube video from an oG player that was uploaded for OOC purposes, etc).

Findbook is hosted under the owlgaming domain and thus isn't included in the rule (as it's for 'External' websites), same with PD forums and such.

And people use instagram photos of the others as a simulation to their own character - not the other person, so it wouldn't breach that rule really. 

Honestly the rule itself has good intentions, but it does restrict way too much on these kinda things. I think a split white-list / black-list would work, and those not listed can be safely assumed one way or another - any controversy over a new site can then be put onto one of the lists.

I've got to agree with many of the people here who'd like to see this rule being removed. It's useless and frankly I can imagine it preventing some people from creating IC sites because they dont feel like waiting for UAT permission which takes ages, and it's even stupid that you need to give them full permission for everything. Websites being used for ingame communications and possibly metagaming? Well, websites should be the least of your worries, lmao. Next thing you might want to get my account details for Skype or any other social / communicative networks to make sure they are clean as well? And why should there even be a difference between a PDF hosted on Dropbox and one hosted in Google Drive? It looks exactly the same! In fact, if I recall correctly, on Google Drive you could mark it private, so based on these rules that should even be worse than Dropbox considering admins wouldn't be able to check those private documents.

If I missed something, feel free to correct me, but in my opinion those rules are just stupid.

12 hours ago, Belgica said:

Remove that set of rules, really.

Any faction who wishes to use a website, instead of the forums should be allow to. 

Yes, because it's too damn hard to make a good looking site for a company on here unless you have a faction and your own thread with multiple sections

I'm with you on removing this rule tbh, there have been times I've wanted to make a sales site for my companies but never wanted to be accused of mixing an OOC site with an IC Company

1 hour ago, Dylanjeter1 said:

Yes, because it's too damn hard to make a good looking site for a company on here unless you have a faction and your own thread with multiple sections

I'm with you on removing this rule tbh, there have been times I've wanted to make a sales site for my companies but never wanted to be accused of mixing an OOC site with an IC Company

tbf all u gotta do is make uat contact saying "This is my site for this business: link" and then yea, prolly be approved, I suppose. *shrug*

7 hours ago, MindScape00 said:

tbf all u gotta do is make uat contact saying "This is my site for this business: link" and then yea, prolly be approved, I suppose. *shrug*

It's nkt hard to do, but it's just stupid that we have to get the UAT's permission to do anything.

On 19/04/2017 at 11:25 AM, MindScape00 said:
adding beats into there music, displaying videos made for IC purposes such as News, or even viral videos. Right now, not a single one of those is valid, and technically should be voided and removed, which is rather bad imo. Should just add YouTube onto the list of IC sites.

Are you trying to tell me that I have been powergaming with an O 0 C website? Me? @Craazy? I would never.

sike lel /bind 5 ame withdraws hidden knife and attempts stabs the individual numberous times mayne.*

+1 though, I mean the following is a master example of why this rule should mmbop, ba duba dop, ba du bop, ba duba bop, oh yeeeah.

On 4/19/2017 at 11:25 AM, MindScape00 said:
OwlGaming.png

Rule Discussion

Subject:

External Websites Rule - YouTube

I want to...:

Revise

Elaboration:

External Websites Rule should be adjusted to include YouTube within it. Many people use YouTube inside their interiors with the CEF embedded texturing, as well as in IC forum posts and such, like adding beats into there music, displaying videos made for IC purposes such as News, or even viral videos. Right now, not a single one of those is valid, and technically should be voided and removed, which is rather bad imo. Should just add YouTube onto the list of IC sites.

You're being too literal with that external website rule. I think you know better what it was intended for.

Just now, Wright said:

You're being too literal with that external website rule. I think you know better what it was intended for.

This was made in reaction to a case where someone got in trouble for using youtube. *shrug* Should still be added, just like Google Docs and such that were.

Just now, MindScape00 said:

This was made in reaction to a case where someone got in trouble for using youtube. *shrug* Should still be added, just like Google Docs and such that were.

How old was that? Who punished them for that? Pretty derp.

Just now, Wright said:

How old was that? Who punished them for that? Pretty derp.

It was back like - around the time when I made this. I don't know the exact details anymore, as in who punished them and such. I just saw it, thought it was dumb, and made the rule suggestion.

Welp, Youtube clearly doesn't apply in cases like this for videos and such.

Going to deny this but for everyone who reads this, the rule applies to external sites where information can be communicated. This is done so admins can keep an eye on the website and so that someone can't go "I sent them a message through X chat service and we RPd it was IC" without an admin ever having the ability to verify that actually happened because it's on an external, inaccessible site. I think this is pretty common sense.