Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PoisonStream

A Guide to Drinking Alcohol

So over a bit of  time roleplaying here on Owl, I have seen that many people do not know how alcohol affects the body. For those of you who drink, this is a guide to help you.

To begin, you have to Percentages you should be aware about. The first percentage is the one on the alcohol bottle you're about to consume. The second percentage is your Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC).

2UH2jvG.jpg

You see on the picture above where it says "40% ALCH BY VOL. (80 PROOF)"? That is on almost every printed label of every liquor or alcoholic beverage. This is something that is very important to you and your roleplay as well. If you were to drink that entire bottle by yourself really quickly... You'd die. 

That is, if you didn't puke it up first. Your body can only take so much alcohol. You may already be aware of this, but from recent roleplays that I have seen, you may not be aware of the amount it takes to kill someone. Downing one bottle of Jack Daniels by yourself in one setting is quite dangerous.

Want proof?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2743072/Drinker-risks-life-downing-bottle-Jack-Daniels-just-10-seconds-stag-friends.html

That's right. One bottle of JD can kill you. But only if you down it all at once. Most liquors will kill you if you down the entire bottle at once. You can drink an entire bottle of Jack by yourself, if you drink it over time.

Another thing you should be aware of is your Blood Alcohol Concentration or BAC. Your BAC levels start at 0.00% and go up when you drink. When you reach 0.40% BAC level, you'll most likely die.

Spoiler

0.02-0.03 BAC: No loss of coordination, slight euphoria and loss of shyness. Depressant effects are not apparent. Mildly relaxed and maybe a little lightheaded.

0.04-0.06 BAC: Feeling of well-being, relaxation, lower inhibitions, sensation of warmth. Euphoria. Some minor impairment of reasoning and memory, lowering of caution. Your behavior may become exaggerated and emotions intensified (Good emotions are better, bad emotions are worse)

0.07-0.09 BAC: Slight impairment of balance, speech, vision, reaction time, and hearing. Euphoria. Judgment and self-control are reduced, and caution, reason and memory are impaired, .08 is legally impaired and it is illegal to drive at this level. You will probably believe that you are functioning better than you really are.

0.10-0.125 BAC: Significant impairment of motor coordination and loss of good judgment. Speech may be slurred; balance, vision, reaction time and hearing will be impaired. Euphoria.

0.13-0.15 BAC: Gross motor impairment and lack of physical control. Blurred vision and major loss of balance. Euphoria is reduced and dysphoria (anxiety, restlessness) is beginning to appear. Judgment and perception are severely impaired.

0.16-0.19 BAC: Dysphoria predominates, nausea may appear. The drinker has the appearance of a "sloppy drunk."

0.20 BAC: Felling dazed, confused or otherwise disoriented. May need help to stand or walk. If you injure yourself you may not feel the pain. Some people experience nausea and vomiting at this level. The gag reflex is impaired and you can choke if you do vomit. Blackouts are likely at this level so you may not remember what has happened.

0.25 BAC: All mental, physical and sensory functions are severely impaired. Increased risk of asphyxiation from choking on vomit and of seriously injuring yourself by falls or other accidents.

0.30 BAC: STUPOR. You have little comprehension of where you are. You may pass out suddenly and be difficult to awaken.

0.35 BAC: Coma is possible. This is the level of surgical anesthesia. 

0.40 BAC and up: Onset of coma, and possible death due to
respiratory arrest.

http://awareawakealive.org/educate/blood-alcohol-content

The website above has more information if you wish to view it. It also has a BAC Calculator at the bottom if you need to calculate your character's BAC Level. You can also google "BAC Calculator" to get a calculator to determine what your character's BAC level is. Do note that drinking too much can result in a CK, and that medical staff in game will ask you OOCly how much your character drank. If you say "Oh, 3 bottles of Vodka and a few beers." I wouldn't expect that character to continue living...

Have fun you lovable drunks!

10 minutes ago, PoisonStream said:

If you were to drink that entire bottle by yourself, really quickly... You'd die. 

That is, if you didn't puke it up first.

That's right. One bottle of JD can kill you. But only if you down it all at once. Most liquors will kill you if you down the entire bottle at once. You can drink an entire bottle of Jack by yourself, if you drink it over time.

Reveal hidden contents

0.02-0.03 BAC: No loss of coordination, slight euphoria and loss of shyness. Depressant effects are not apparent. Mildly relaxed and maybe a little lightheaded.

0.04-0.06 BAC: Feeling of well-being, relaxation, lower inhibitions, sensation of warmth. Euphoria. Some minor impairment of reasoning and memory, lowering of caution. Your behavior may become exaggerated and emotions intensified (Good emotions are better, bad emotions are worse)

0.07-0.09 BAC: Slight impairment of balance, speech, vision, reaction time, and hearing. Euphoria. Judgment and self-control are reduced, and caution, reason and memory are impaired, .08 is legally impaired and it is illegal to drive at this level. You will probably believe that you are functioning better than you really are.

0.10-0.125 BAC: Significant impairment of motor coordination and loss of good judgment. Speech may be slurred; balance, vision, reaction time and hearing will be impaired. Euphoria.

0.13-0.15 BAC: Gross motor impairment and lack of physical control. Blurred vision and major loss of balance. Euphoria is reduced and dysphoria (anxiety, restlessness) is beginning to appear. Judgment and perception are severely impaired.

0.16-0.19 BAC: Dysphoria predominates, nausea may appear. The drinker has the appearance of a "sloppy drunk."

0.20 BAC: Felling dazed, confused or otherwise disoriented. May need help to stand or walk. If you injure yourself you may not feel the pain. Some people experience nausea and vomiting at this level. The gag reflex is impaired and you can choke if you do vomit. Blackouts are likely at this level so you may not remember what has happened.

0.25 BAC: All mental, physical and sensory functions are severely impaired. Increased risk of asphyxiation from choking on vomit and of seriously injuring yourself by falls or other accidents.

0.30 BAC: STUPOR. You have little comprehension of where you are. You may pass out suddenly and be difficult to awaken.

0.35 BAC: Coma is possible. This is the level of surgical anesthesia. 

0.40 BAC and up: Onset of coma, and possible death due to
respiratory arrest.

I've done this in real life, downed a whole bottle of Jack in about seven seconds, I was about seventeen at the time. I lasted about an hour before I passed out and woke up in hospital quite a few hours later. I didn't get my stomach pumped or anything but they put me on an IV to rehydrate me and I was throwing up when I was unconscious and attacking paramedics which I have no memory of. The hangover lasted for about a week before it even started getting better.

So yeah this is pretty accurate.

been facepalming myself hundreds of times with RP drinking. some ppl just come by with 6 pac of booze, some weed and beers. drinks a bottle on once, not RPing to taking a shot etc. 

Just now, Nicky said:

I've done this in real life, downed a whole bottle of Jack in about seven seconds, I was about seventeen at the time. I lasted about an hour before I passed out and woke up in hospital quite a few hours later. I didn't get my stomach pumped or anything but they put me on an IV to rehydrate me and I was throwing up when I was unconscious and attacking paramedics which I have no memory of. The hangover lasted for about a week before it even started getting better.

So yeah this is pretty accurate.

that's pretty hot

Im not alcoholic i tell you!

This is pretty accurate and helpful. Me and the lads are going to do a "Cirrhosis Cup" in two weeks where you play football ( or soccer for muricans ) and everytime you score / suffer a goal, you drink a shot of whatever.

Any idea if it's dangerous to do such sport while that drunk? @PoisonStream

Just now, ZythuM said:

Im not alcoholic i tell you!

This is pretty accurate and helpful. Me and the lads are going to do a "Cirrhosis Cup" in two weeks where you play football ( or soccer for muricans ) and everytime you score / suffer a goal, you drink a shot of whatever.

Any idea if it's dangerous to do such sport while that drunk? @PoisonStream

Americans do stuff like this all the time. You should be fine. You'll most likely get too drunk to play the game before you die of alcohol poisoning.

Accurate guide, just missing the imense amount of piss breaks after you break the seal.

its not about how fast you can drink your beer, its about have a status and bind combo to show you are sipping it slowly, enjoying the beer while tethering it with your standard social interactions.

Someone make a guide to breathing whilst the meme streak has started...

The amount of people I see in bar role-play ordering about 4 beers, drinking shots and then instantly get up and drive off to do something else. Completely unaffected, it bewilders me. To the people who do role-play the side-effects of drinking, well done. I appreciate it. 

Helpful guide for people who are completely unaware. 

2 hours ago, PoisonStream said:

If you were to drink that entire bottle by yourself, really quickly... You'd die

Pardon me - I think he's still alive.

Just now, MindScape00 said:

Pardon me - I think he's still alive.

OH DEAR LORD! DID YOU NOT READ? HAHAHAHAAHA

He threw it up afterwards. I posted the story about this story in the topic mate... Jesus.

2 minutes ago, PoisonStream said:

OH DEAR LORD! DID YOU NOT READ? HAHAHAHAAHA

He threw it up afterwards. I posted the story about this story in the topic mate... Jesus.

The guy said he didn't throw it up though in that same story you linked.. did YOU not read??

When one viewer asked if he vomited after the incident, he replied: 'None at all, I have about 40 lads that can vouch for that too.'
He told another viewer: 'I was pretty much instantly hammered! It was done at 9.30am though and I carried on and stayed out until 3am the following morning. Wasted!'

I've known people to drink two bottles of 75cl Jack Daniels, I'm not saying they're completely fine about 5-10 minutes after they threw up their guts and passed out. Needing the ambulance to come so they can pump his stomach, but. People don't just instantly die. 

3 minutes ago, OhhPixelz said:

I've known people to drink two bottles of 75cl Jack Daniels, I'm not saying they're completely fine about 5-10 minutes after they threw up their guts and passed out. Needing the ambulance to come so they can pump his stomach, but. People don't just instantly die. 

Did I state they'd instantly die?

If you were to drink that entire bottle by yourself, really quickly... You'd die. 

Nothing stated says you'd die instantly. 

But drinking an entire bottle of Jack is deadly and can and will kill you, unless you puke it up.

EDIT: Oh, the one comma. You could have just said I messed up on grammar to make it seem like you'd die instantly.

6 minutes ago, MindScape00 said:

The guy said he didn't throw it up though in that same story you linked.. did YOU not read??

Also, if he didn't throw up, he would have ended up in the hospital. The fact is, he either threw up, or he went to the hospital. Just because the man claims he didn't, doesn't mean it's true.

If you go on to read, it even states:

Anna Brandberg wrote: 'What the video fails to show is that unless he threw it all up within 10-15 min, that is a LETHAL dose of alcohol, and he would almost certainly land him in the hospital with his stomach pumped.

So.. yea

Just now, PoisonStream said:

Also, if he didn't throw up, he would have ended up in the hospital. The fact is, he either threw up, or he went to the hospital. Just because the man claims he didn't, doesn't mean it's true.

If you go on to read, it even states:

Anna Brandberg wrote: 'What the video fails to show is that unless he threw it all up within 10-15 min, that is a LETHAL dose of alcohol, and he would almost certainly land him in the hospital with his stomach pumped.

So.. yea

It depends on the body and the person - he may have a high alcohol tolerance. You choose to believe the guy is a liar then when he says that he didn't throw up or go to the hospital, when people have been making them video's for years, it's just that one for some reason gained a large number of views and reputation. 

1 minute ago, Jokerr said:

instead of fighting, go drink a whole bottle yourself and prove you're right

This is a bad idea b o y z

Five years later and I still haven't touched JD or any whiskey since.

feelsbadman