Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PoisonStream

How a Murder should be investigated by Police/EMS.

Dear fellow Owlgamers! The time has come for me to make a guide to show how a murder scene should be handled by investigators! Recently, I have noticed people going to a scene and not collecting any evidence. They just body bag the body and take it away... nothing done. And the murderer gets away.

So, I'm going to list Step by Step on how you'd deal with a murder scene.

Step 1: 911 call comes in, body has been found with GSW to the head.

Step 2: SD/PD/Law Enforcement should respond to the scene.

Step 3: The area should be secured and EMS should already be responding as well. If the body is dead, the coroner should be on scene.

(Corners are usually like cops, but are not cops. They get a vehicle with lights and a badge. Don't believe me? I lived down the road from one. Google it. As a matter of fact, no. Here's the Wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coroner - Make sure you scroll down to "Duties" in the "United States" section and read. You'll most likely see the part about how in some states, the Coroner is just like a Sheriff. )

Step 4: Witnesses should be gathered and seperated, SD should be questioning them, getting each story. Meanwhile, the EMS/Coroner should be investigating.

Step 5: While witnesses are being questioned, the officer should be able to ID anything on the witness including to, but not limited to: Blood Stains, burn marks, lying, and other factors. The officer should swab both hands of the witness, checking for gun powder residue. Police should have witness statements, phone numbers, and addresses from the witness. If scene is to busy to get the witness statement, witnesses should be transported to the station and put in a room by themselves to be questioned. They are not under arrest, but under questioning. 

Some questions that should be answered before the body is bagged and transported away:

A: What killed the man? (Gun, knife, other)

If gun, what size bullet. Each bullet wound has different size exit holes and the holes can easily be judged on scene.

If gun, are there any bullet casings nearby on the ground? Did the shooter use gloves to put the bullets into the magazine or did they use their hands? (RP evidence via logs should be provided that the murder used gloves, otherwise, he used his hands. Finger prints would be on the discharged casings.)

If gun and no bullet casings, are there any CCTV's around? (Was the person wearing a mask? If not, you have a facial ID. If so, you have murder's height, possible weight by estimations (Is he/she fat or skinny?), and you have their race.)

If gun, are there any bullet holes in walls or on the ground to retrieve the fired bullet(s) as evidence? (Bullets can be traced back to the fired gun if the gun is found. If the gun is registered, you might or might not have it in a database already.)

If gun, does the wound have gun powder traces around it? If so, dead guy was shot at close range and the killer would have blood residue on them as well as gun powder residue.

B: How long has the body been dead? A medical corner or examiner should be able to tell this with a temperature probe. 

C: What race, age, and how tall is the dead body? More information the corner/examiner can give you.

D: Does the dead body have an ID?

E: Was the dead body connected to gang related activity? (If dead body has tattoos, this can be answered or if the dead body is well known by police already.)

F: How is the body ICly laying? Face down? Or on it's back? This can point out if the dead body seen his killer or was shot by surprise.

G: Does the body have any skin/blood under his/her finger nails? The attacker's DNA might be on the dead body.

OOC Questions you should ask the admin: (Admins should ALWAYS be watching a CK go down. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a CK.)

A: Answers to all the questions listed above. The admin should be able to investigate themselves and get the answers.

B: The admin's name/forum name in case they are needed for further questioning.

Pretty much all of that.

Once all of the questions above are answered, the body is ready to be transported. It should be carefully packed and transported to a nearby morgue where the Pathologist will do the following:

A: Remove patient's clothes and have them bagged. (If DNA evidence is on it from the killer, it would come out during testing of the clothes.)

B: Comb the patient's hair for any other DNA samples. (Sometimes hair contains other hair from other people.)

C: Wound size and bullet path. (If bullet is unable to be recovered at the scene, the path will tell everyone where the bullet is/might be.)

D: He/she would gather any other information/evidence and turn it into the law enforcement. (Freebird is currently ASGH's pathologist, and he's pretty damn good at it so he knows what to do.)

By the way, if said character who killed someone is an immigrant, you have their finger prints on file. If they are found on the casings, you have found your killer. Make sure the admin knows this and have them check with the person about their backstory. If their character moved to LS from a different place, you have prints. If they were born there, you don't have prints unless they were busted.

If everything is done correctly, you should have a direct link to the killer, or a lot of evidence. Depending how each situation goes down, the right questions will answer pretty much anything you need to know.

Any questions, comments, or concerns can be addressed to me and I will gladly answer your questions.

I'll be sure to forward this to new detective interns. Definitely good to have this written out for those who may be a little unsure when they're starting out. I know for sure that when I help an intern investigate a homicide scene, I have the majority if not all of these steps looked over. The issue we used to find was that deputies would simply find a body and call for FD as opposed to calling the Detective Division to investigate it as a homicide, which I believe may be the issue you're referring to when you mentioned

6 hours ago, PoisonStream said:

Recently, I have noticed people going to a scene and not collecting any evidence. They just body bag the body and take it away... nothing done. And the murderer gets away.

However I bring this issue up at every roll call I attend as well as bringing it up in meetings to ensure this doesn't happen and detectives are allowed the chance to do their investigation. Since I've began bringing this up, homicide case count has nearly tripled which leads me to assume that we're on track to fixing the issue.

I feel this tutorial is excellent, you've stated everything that SHOULD be investigated.

24 minutes ago, 44Theory said:

I'll be sure to forward this to new detective interns. Definitely good to have this written out for those who may be a little unsure when they're starting out. I know for sure that when I help an intern investigate a homicide scene, I have the majority if not all of these steps looked over. The issue we used to find was that deputies would simply find a body and call for FD as opposed to calling the Detective Division to investigate it as a homicide, which I believe may be the issue you're referring to when you mentioned

However I bring this issue up at every roll call I attend as well as bringing it up in meetings to ensure this doesn't happen and detectives are allowed the chance to do their investigation. Since I've began bringing this up, homicide case count has nearly tripled which leads me to assume that we're on track to fixing the issue.

I have to say you did a 10/10 job on the murder which Tyrek King was involved in, you RP'ed everything correctly. I feel you can do something good with new interns of DD! If you still have the logs from you investigating blood on the t-shirt and other activities of your investigation, you could also show that to new interns on styles of roleplay within the DD.