Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thomaspwn

Realistic war games?

Sometimes I just feel like killing things and seeing a lot of blood. Normally I play Gears of War for this but I feel like I want to try something more realistic..I'll be mostly looking for an offline game, does anyone know any good ones?And what's your opinion on the 3 titles below?I like strategies but I'm not looking for an Age of Empires 3 type of gamplay, I rather have a FPS.3 titles I heard so far:Arma 3Operation Flashpoint 2 Dragon RisingRed Orchestra 2

Arma: Cold War Crisis (ugly graphics!)(yes, in other words it's 'operation flashpoint 1')-has an epic atmosphere of cold war crisis, mid '80ths, M1A1 Abrams, T-80, Hind, AH-64, AH-1 Cobra, bradley and many other names of vehicles that you've heard of, back in time. Minuses? Well, you must be aware of Arma's buggy engine. Let's say that this problem appeared from the very first game and was OFP's damnation.Obviously I can include in that list ARMA 2 aswell. It has pretty much DLC's and such, so you'll spend lots of time on it too... -Red Orchestra 1? believe it or not, but I love RO1, while I have pretty cold feelings to RO2. RO2 makes me tired within an hour, while Red Orchestra 1 has bit more of close combat and more vehicles per map. But tank is still king of the field.-Men of War (Faces of War; men of war: assault squad; men of war: assault squad 2) RTS game serie about WW2. HOWEVER(!) it represents fully reallistic engine. You can destroy tank's track and make it unable to move, you can destroy it's main gun and make it unable to shoot from it. AND(!) The best part here - you can take ANY available unit in game under your personal control (!) turning the game to third person shooter. But(!) as it's RTS, noone is going to lead a front for you :P Unless you will play with a friend in coop (yes, game has coop support for all the campaing missions. Though they don't make full storyline in MP, you just REPLAY campaign missions with no storyline. Original campaign has no coop support, asdly as it is). The game's pretty cheap (at least for my country). I find the best game - original 'Men of War' and 'Faces of War', since 'assault squad' 1 and 2 went for multiplayer only. Also I don't know what's current online for these games, it may be quite low (except assault squad 2, but this game has really high system recs)Battlefield 2yes, I know your first thoughts, but before throwing rocks at me PLEASE (!) read what I'm going to say. I know that original BF2 isn't something you are looking for, even despite the fact it's still awesome game (way better than BF3 in the matter of tactics and cooperation, if you ask me). However there are MODS(!) for BF2, turning it into a real military simulator. I can name 2 of them at the moment:Forgotten Hope 2 (WW2 themed mod)Project Reality (modern combat themed mod that turned from BF to ARMA and then to own game as far as I'm aware)SWAT 4 (and maybe SWAT 3 but ugly graphics!)To start with - yes, I know, SWAT 4 is the least reallistic game among this list, BUT(!) It's the only game I know that represents work of actual POLICE. The reason I stated 2 games in one point is because SWAT 4 has better graphics, it has wider tactical equipment, while SWAT 3 has way less to offer in the matter of tactical equipment and definately has problems with graphics. However SWAT 3 is WAAAY MORE reallistic. If you think I am lying then I guess saying that SWAT3 was developed with consultations and advice of LAPD SWAT veteran officers is enough? Also, as person who played SWAT 3 quite enough I can admit that SWAT 3 has less problems with logic. For example, in SWAT 4, by the middle of a game, your element (5 persons) is sent WITHOUT ANY PLAN OF A BUILDING AND ANY KIND OF INFORMATION to arrest\kill 20+ fully equipped criminals with armors and M4's or AK's. To be honest, SWAT 3 has similar problem but unlike SWAT 4 they make it smart - in briefing they warn you that there are security members which are considered as 'hostages' but they are armed and really nervous, so you can meet agression from their side. So literally you fight with 5-10 criminals but you also have 5-10 armed security members. Every mission has different situation, so next time the reason for 20+ armed persons will be different. I also should admit that even though SWAT 3 has less tactical equipment, it requires way more tactical knowledge from you, mostly because level architecture I guess... And the last point that you might hate aswell as love - SWAT 3 has literally TONS of information to read about SWAT elements, their tactics, some stories for LAPD members and such. But again... graphics there is really ugly. Even though modders tried to convert maps and other stuff from SWAT 3 to SWAT 4, it's still way worse if you ask me...Ofc, there are other games about cops, for example quest series called 'police quest' which was actually SWAT's serie 'father', but would you really want to play QUEST, where you play as detective and don't shoot at all? (or maybe you shoot, dunno, I only tried 'police quest 1' and dropped it pretty soon). You can also try the game 'Police Quest: SWAT 2' which is RTS from back '90ths but I doubt any of these games would take your attention. I doubt, in fact, that even SWAT games, on which I spent so much time, would catch your attention, lol...America's ArmyMultiplayer F2P game that has no donating features. Sponsored by US army to show potential recruits how awesome is it to be a military, lel. Okay, now serious. I didn't really like that game, so I can't tell you much about it. In my time I've stuck on one of the trainings (yes, you can play actual game ONLY after you pass necessary trainings). Looking at situation now, I can clearly say that I was just a spoiled kid when tried this game and maybe some day I'll try it again. Oh and yes, the first sentence about the game is truth. At least it WAS truth back 5 years ago or so. I know that game's history takes place when US military decided to call new recruits to the army and made new game, showing US army's strong sides. Yet, the game is hard and full of realism.-Insurgency. Both mod and source engine based game. Just like America's Army it's reallistic online FPS on modern combat theme. Didn't really play it much but all my friends who did, claim that this game is awesome and that it requires using of actual brain. However, unlike ARMA there's no vehicles as far as I know. But large amount of game types won't let you down :)-VerdunThe game I know least of all. I didn't even play it, in fact. The game is about WW1 (the only game about WW1 in this list btw). It has good marks on steam, so I guess you can take a look at it aswell.Yeah, btw, all these games (except SWAT) are sold on steam, so if you are interested in any of them, you can take a look for trailers and additional info.

Heroes & Generals
Heroes & Generals is a great game, but I'm not sure [MENTION=533]Thomaspwn[/MENTION] really meant that type of games, since it's semireallistic, unlike ARMA or RO2, for example

Arma 3, SWAT 4 (Old one), there are also a very low amount of number of realistic BF3/BF4 clans.If i were you, I'd wait for the new rainbox six game ;)

I'd go for arma series, they're based on VBS, Virtual Battle Space, that is a "game" that the army uses for practices.Also Insurgency it's a great game, and realistic.

Takedown Red Sabre.( Seriously I pre ordered it and it sucks)There is one great looking tactical shooter coming someday, it's called Ground Branchhttp://www.groundbranch.com/Almost forgot, if you own Bf2 I recommend trying out Project Reality, it's amazing modification and best realistic war game I have ever played.There's also PR2 coming someday and it will be standalone and made with CryEngine3Also this looks promising:

Thanks for the comments!Im so fucking angry rn, I tried Operation Flashpoint 2 Dragon Rising but my NPC team mates keep dying because of some heli shooting at us.

I might try that, I remember playing BF2 ages ago and I still have a disc laying around. I liked the gameplay of it.

PR is not anything gameplay wise then bf2.. Project Reality is truly about communication between squads/commanders/grunts. With Local 3d audio for voice communication. It's by far the most intense (semi) realistic shooter that I've played. Gameplay wise it's so much better then Arma for example. It's just on a older engine so it has its limits but man, I've played Pr for the last 8 years. There is nothing like it..