Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Freebird

EMS RP

EMS RP

Emergency Medical Services, such as LSFD and ASH, RP made easy.

The goal with this "guide" is to explain the framework that LSFD and ASH use in their RP. In order to achieve a better understanding of how to RP with these characters (patients and care providers). EMS RP explained:

• The mnemonics?
    - A mnemonic is a system or pattern of letters that assists in remembering something, for example, EMS RP has a mnemonic for everything. Be it the universal approach to a patient (ABCDE) or a health history (SAMPLE). There's a ton of different mnemonics for firefighters, emergency medical technicians and nurses alike. It's there to help you the character and especially the player to remember what to do first.
  • Medical or trauma?
    - This isn't obvious, just like signs and symptoms too are similar but different, so is medical and trauma.
    - Medical patients relate to internal sources (history of events) of injury such as disease or illness, for example, cancer or abdominal pain. What led to the injury is often inquired. 
    - Meanwhile trauma patients relate to damage caused by an external source (mechanism of injury) such as a car accident, for example, spine injury. What caused the injured is often inquired. 
  • EMS hacks?
    - So take the mnemonic ABCDE, you (both patient and care provider) can shorten down the RP and avoid ten minutes of assessing vital signs, by simply roleplaying. Hacks:
    • Example 1 the extensive way;
      • A (airway) - You free their airway with an emote.
      • B (breathing) - You assess their respiratory rate, observing/listening/feeling with an emote and wait for a reply
      • C (circulation) - You assess again but this time their heart rate, counting their pulse with an emote and wait. 
      • D (disability) - You assess and perhaps use a flashlight to check that their eyes are equal, round and reactive to light. This too requires an answer.
      • E (exposure) - You try and cut their designer clothes for $5000, to expose and observe for other injuries or indications and wait some more.
    • Example 2 the short way;
      • A - Can they talk, if so, no problem. (Bonus: if they can walk and talk!)
      • B - Can they count to 10 on 1 breath, if so, no chest injury. 
      • C - Do they have a wrist pulse, if so, it means they do not have an undetected (significant) bleeding.
      • D - Can they do two things at the same time say hold up three fingers and state their full name, if so, no cognitive compromise.
      • E - Feel them down for deformities and if nothing is said or done, you havn't missed any other injuries.
  • Cont. EMS hacks
    - Same goes for SAMPLE, once you have the red thread to follow, EMS RP is easy. See:
    • Example 1 short way;
      • S (symptoms) - What is wrong, what brought you to the hospital?
      • A (allergies) - Are you allergic?
      • M (medications) - Are you taking any medications?
      • P (past medical history) - Have you had this problem before?
      • L (last oral intake) - When did you last eat? 
      • E (events) - if an injury/illness how did you get hurt/what led to this problem?

- It's the same, each and every time. It doesn't have to be hard and we don't need to reinvent the wheel. So if EMS RPers know what to do, injured players wont have to wait for them to think. Vice versa, EMS RPers wont have to wait for injured players who go AFK because they have no idea of or interest in RPing injuries.

• Communication is key
    - EMS gets repetitive and frustrating at times when players have a different idea of how to roleplay, especially when this isn't communicated and the two end up believing the patient is critical meanwhile the other believes they are stable. Bump each other in PM if someone appears AFK, ask for clarifications if something appears stupid or suggestions on how to RP the injuries if you don't know. 

The goal was to explain the framework of EMS RP that LSFD and ASH use. Hopefully someone finds this useful and join an EMS faction or try and use this information when RPing an disease, injury or illness. 

hurr AHA says its CAB now not ABC hurrrrr

Memes aside great guide.

Just now, bartman said:

Memes aside great guide.

Or LC-ABCDE, but that's just me. #EveryoneLikesDifferentMnemonics

Just now, Freebird said:

Or LC-ABCDE, but that's just me. #EveryoneLikesDifferentMnemonics

you forgot DCAP-BTLS *rageeeeeeee*

We're also taught SAMPLE and OPQRST in Pennsylvania.

Just now, bartman said:

Memes aside great guide.

There's loads of mnemonics for it, but DRCAB is the most common in my opinion. 

Nonetheless, nice guide!

3 minutes ago, Jord said:

Nonetheless, nice guide!

DRCAB is a european thing. Completely unheard of in the U.S. We use a combination of CAB (Circulation Airway Breathing) and DCAP-BTLS (Deformities Contusions Abrasions Penetrations - Burns Tenderness Lacerations Swelling), SAMPLE and OPQRST are medical history/event history.

@Jord but I should clarify what's taught at the healthcare provider level and what's taught at the bystander CPR level may differ. I can see why a DRCAB would be useful for a bystander, but the danger/respond part for us is covered by the scene sizeup.

5 minutes ago, Jord said:

Nonetheless, nice guide!

3 minutes ago, bartman said:

DRCAB is a european thing. Completely unheard of in the U.S. We use a combination of CAB (Circulation Airway Breathing) and DCAP-BTLS (Deformities Contusions Abrasions Penetrations - Burns Tenderness Lacerations Swelling), SAMPLE and OPQRST are medical history/event history.

@Jord but I should clarify what's taught at the healthcare provider level and what's taught at the bystander CPR level may differ. I can see why a DRCAB would be useful for a bystander, but the danger/respond part for us is covered by the scene sizeup.

Mnemonics is what starts wars. 

Just now, Freebird said:

simpsons_mob.gif

Just now, Freebird said:

Don't even start with bringing more out, you fried my brain bringing all these military mnemonics into FD in 2014 ?

6 minutes ago, Jord said:

Don't even start with bringing more out, you fried my brain bringing all these military mnemonics into FD in 2014 ?

MIST is great, mkay. 

1 hour ago, Jord said:

R.I.P.

2 hours ago, bartman said:

Shouldn't this be in the handbook of FD/EMS instead of here..?

18 minutes ago, andreiwow2 said:

That signature tho.

10 hours ago, andreiwow2 said:

no, but i heard you like spiderman..

On 10/31/2016 at 5:30 PM, andreiwow2 said:

This is a RP guide.