Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elpine

Not breaking immersion through /b

Here I'm going to talk about the use of /b to correct simple mistakes. I find this subject rather amusing considering as players we can't void our own roleplay, a good example is when we have car crashes due to OOC reasons, we are usually told that we must roleplay it despite why it happened. I view what our characters say in a very similar light. What you say in /b in theory has no effect on what your character says in IC chat... To me this is somewhat interesting and I give you my thoughts/advice on the subject. Many people find that using OOC chat unnecessarily can interrupt otherwise good roleplay- and immersion. As such;

If you make a spelling or grammatical

mistake, do not correct it in in local OOC. Apologise ICly and say the correct thing, or say something along the lines of "Oh, I meant to say X", etc. You can also step it up a few levels- if you forget to type /me before your action, you can simply say "I'm not sure why I said that... anyway".

We all know everyone makes typos and mistakes, it is usually unnecessary to correct your own mistakes, or other people's mistakes, in /b. When you do make a mistake, there are a few options available to you. You can either leave the typo and not correct it, roleplay it and own it, or you can fix it in local OOC which damages immersion.

This is something me and a few friends have been experimenting with, and it makes for some rather amusing roleplay scenarios at times.

Some players may not want to roleplay their character saying words incorrectly, and to these people I say- your characters are human, humans make mistakes and say words incorrectly from time to time. No one needs to be (or is expected to be) perfect with their written English when playing here, but we are all expected to create and help nurture an immersive roleplay environment.

By also doing this, you will find that you may become a little more careful with your typing in game.

@rentation

@Flluroz

Alice Wright says: me slowly releases the clutch while releasing the brake. Pushing the throttle at while doing so.

Alice Wright says: I'm not sure why I said that. 

Lol correcting /me or /do s in IC chat won't work.

But I do agree on the other stuff. I sometimes mistake a word and correct it in OOC chat. It'd be better if I correct that mistake in IC chat as I do make mistakes like that irl too hah. 

Just now, dionkoffie said:

Alice Wright says: me slowly releases the clutch while releasing the brake. Pushing the throttle at while doing so.

Alice Wright says: I'm not sure why I said that. 

Lol correcting /me or /do s in IC chat won't work.

But I do agree on the other stuff. I sometimes mistake a word and correct it in OOC chat. It'd be better if I correct that mistake in IC chat as I do make mistakes like that irl too hah. 

It does work... That's the thing. Combine it with a /me of blushing at the mistake, or looking confused for a moment... everyone KNOWS that you didn't mean to do that, and no one in my experience really ever cares. By bringing it up ICly and explaining it (or even by not explaining it), it sort of helps not only keep things out of local OOC, but also makes things a little more light hearted. No one has to do this, and I expect that most people will continue with how things are done. These are just my thoughts on a subject that really can be not only quite amusing if roleplayed correctly, but also immersion

damaging if taken to /b every time.

1 minute ago, Elpine said:

It does work... That's the thing. Combine it with a /me of blushing at the mistake, or looking confused for a moment... everyone KNOWS that you didn't mean to do that, and no one in my experience really ever cares. By bringing it up ICly and explaining it (or even by not explaining it), it sort of helps not only keep things out of local OOC, but also makes things a little more light hearted. No one has to do this, and I expect that most people will continue with how things are done. These are just my thoughts on a subject that really can be not only quite amusing if roleplayed correctly, but also immersion

damaging if taken to /b every time.

I don't really see myself fixing /MEs and /DOs in IC chat, but you do have a legit point. It reduces the amount of /b spam. 

Don't tell me that in real life you don't make any mistake when speaking. Anyways, if someone bugs you out or abuses the local OOC chat report them.

Actually, when one comes to think of this, it is a rather good point. I will try doing this also. Cheers.

I fully agree and encourage people to use this method to correct themselves. However, there are a few things you cannot simply correct ICly. Take for instance the following example:

"[English] Person X: I am a nigger"

"[English] Person X: Oh sorry I forgot to pronounce the period."

With the basic requirement to use proper grammar in IC chats, the example above wouldn't make any sense to be corrected through another IC line of text unless you produce a /me explaining how your character would pronounce that sentence, but you shouldn't have to at first place.

Regardless, good thread. This method of correcting yourself has got my support.

That's great if you do it, but I don't think people should be frowned upon if they don't wish to do it. I can see the logic, and I understand seeing /b isn't the most immersive thing ever, but I feel that players should be given the chance to correct themselves oocly sometimes. The amount of typos on Owl compared to the amount of brianfarts (I mean, brainfarts. Why did I say brian?) people have irl means that every character would be substandard with regards to intellect. (no offense to the people that have them often)

Anyhow, I've been trying this, and it is fun. I'd recommend giving it a try, if you haven't already.

You are a fucking genius, we're all going to look like crackheads but this could work.
with that said, why do we even need b?