Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Dusty.

[Discussion] Regarding "The Assembly of Los Santos"

So we've got yet another problem folks.There's a fork in the road in which we, as a community stand in the middle, pondering in which direction to go for. We can go left, which will in this case, represent contemporaneity, an unequal, biased, unknowing, or simply unwilling society or right, which in this case, represents a democratic system which involves parties working in complete bipartisan and utter fairness with the utmost of reliable in its very nature.Which do we choose? The obvious would be right, lets go fucking right dammit! No? Okay, let me tell you why we need to go right--like right now. Our community has always been rockey (@rockey c wut i did der herher), we've been poisoned with diversity and separate minded personalities, it causes a mixed reality where some things get messy.Toes get stepped on, drama occurs, favoritism play s a role, policies and other implementations get challenged and all together they factor to a lot of bad decision making. We aren't excluded, in fact we've always had this internal and external blunder of a community. I can give many reasons but I'll simply to a couple and move on to the main point of this topic--oblige me by continuing the reading session.We have had issues externally with staff abusing, groups of people grouping up and defending them. Some of those group members were HIGH in the servers management, some were LOW in the server administration or some were simply LOW level players who knew HIGH server management in real life. They got a free pass.We have policies created to affect them benevolently because fuck it, they didn't care or unknowingly caused it. Let me use the previous FMT in which I created back when I basically ran the server with Boy. It was created to establish a governing group of high ranking admins in which they would represent their faction/s or their legal/illegal sector.They had no power beyond being able to forward feedback, vote on subjects and discuss internal policies for FMT. The only one who had power was no one actually. No one not even I who ran it had power unless we all came together and voted on processes. We helped forge rulings on conflicts in a process where everyone was represented for the good and the bad. Now that was an OOC governing group, we didn't intervene ICly unless it was quintessential(in some cases it was). It brings me to the main point; The IC "Assembly of Los Santos". It was created with the same mentality and template as FMT. For everyone to be represented. It's completely understandable but how its assembled, what their agenda is and why they're touching subjects worries me.This "Assembly" is compiled of members of private sector, public service and a bank or some shit (no offense)? What do people of private sector civilian or contract work have to do with voting on stuff government arms handle? Why isn't [MENTION=1695]Nadr[/MENTION] the Sheriff of the SASD not in the council? Why aren't these positions voted for as an actual COUNCIL should be? Why is there a house and a senate for a low level small municipality we call Los Santos?These are questions we should be asking. This system isn't as fair and open as it pretends to be. Since when do small level governments trump or over-rule federal laws and etc?

The corporate congress is the future. When the Government goes bankrupt, the corporations will be the ones to take place of what the Government once was. That's all that came to mind, the rest of this, which I did actually take all the time to read, was just a repeat of what I thought you said would be overwith.

The SASD has a seat in the house of representatives which can be filled by anyone the sheriff deems fit. Today that seat was filled by an assistant sheriff. If I may add, this wasn't even necessary as it is a city assembly and the SASD is a county agency. I doubt Nadr or the sheriff's department as a whole is complaining because they were able to pass a significant piece of legislation today, despite the objections from the LSPD's two representatives.The Mayor [MENTION=1300]Georgi[/MENTION], who decides who is currently on the council, was elected earlier this month. From what I understand, there will be assembly elections in the near future as we try to flesh out how the assembly will operate. Regardless, when people voted for the Democratic Party, it was established there would be a two house assembly. I think we've succeeded in creating a new branch of roleplay for people interested in taking part. The past government was neglected and essentially you would only see the mayor ride around in his limo every so often.

I'll do my best to answer your questions towards the end. The current members of the assembly have been appointed by the mayor - with some picked purely because they happened to be available at the time. The first meeting was largely a test to see how the system would work, with the following two seemingly meant to resolve the jurisdiction issue between the LSPD and the SASD. The mayor has told me he does intend to do elections as soon as possible.The SASD is allowed a representative at the assembly, and Deputy Sheriff Alex Schneider represented them yesterday. Nadr was also there too, I believe, though simply to watch.Why there is a traditional lower and upper house rather than a simplistic, traditional American city council, I don't know. To my knowledge the only bill that has 'over-ruled' federal laws is the bill allowing the licensing of 'coffee shops' which can sell marijuana. However this isn't by any means unrealistic. There are numerous cities and states that have permitted the sale of medical and recreational marijuana, and many more cities have decriminalized marijuana for private consumption. The federal government's stance on this for some time has been to let it slide, with the Department of Justice saying they won't interfere with local/state laws regarding marijuana and with the DEA ordered to treat marijuana enforcement as its lowest priority in areas in which marijuana has been decriminalized.

So you're telling me you legalized marijuana for recreational purposes? Where is the bill? Who voted on it? What are the ramifications of legalizing it? What's the highest amount of marijuana you can have on your person that doesn't turn it into trafficking or selling marijuana? Where's the penal code adjustment so law enforcement officers know the change?I understand what they're getting at, it's how they're getting at it that worries me. The only people that should be represented and should be called to vote are government servants and I'll say two civilian positions, one being a private sector representative and one being a politician from any part. The bill that was passed in SASD's favor was passed wasn't fair in any respect.1) Local governments can't dictate federally granted jurisdictions. Maybe if this was a federal or state council I would completely understand, but they're not. 2) A council member should be voted for, not "picked" by a mayor, a party or anyone. It's undiplomatic and shows bias.3) Changing laws that aren't even within your boundary makes no sense. Can a local town mayor over-rule a precedent set by a court because it's their town? no.4) Only faction representation in HC/ES should be appointed in the seat, to represent their side with definite meaning.

So you're telling me you legalized marijuana for recreational purposes? Where is the bill? Who voted on it? What are the ramifications of legalizing it? What's the highest amount of marijuana you can have on your person that doesn't turn it into trafficking or selling marijuana? Where's the penal code adjustment so law enforcement officers know the change?I understand what they're getting at, it's how they're getting at it that worries me. The only people that should be represented and should be called to vote are government servants and I'll say two civilian positions, one being a private sector representative and one being a politician from any part. The bill that was passed in SASD's favor was passed wasn't fair in any respect.1) Local governments can't dictate federally granted jurisdictions. Maybe if this was a federal or state council I would completely understand, but they're not. 2) A council member should be voted for, not "picked" by a mayor, a party or anyone. It's undiplomatic and shows bias.3) Changing laws that aren't even within your boundary makes no sense. Can a local town mayor over-rule a precedent set by a court because it's their town? no.4) Only faction representation in HC/ES should be appointed in the seat, to represent their side with definite meaning.
We legalized marijuana for sale and consumption in licensed 'coffee shops'. The marijuana may not be taken outside the coffee shop and consumers are limited to daily purchases of 5 grams. All users must be over 18. It was voted for near-unanimously, including by the LSPD and SASD, though the mayor voted no.Adjustments to the penal code haven't been done yet. There is time between signing a bill into law and the time when the contents of the bill actually take effect - in this case, that amount of time will presumably be the amount of time it takes to re-write the laws.1. 'Federally granted jurisdictions'? I don't know if you're from America, but the Federal government has no say in determining municipal and state jurisdictions, that's for the state and local governments to decide. Nor was it unfair. The LSPD has been lacking manpower and it's reached the point where at certain times of day, there are tens of 911 calls going ignored while the SASD isn't allowed to respond to them. The SASD said that just yesterday 50+ 911 calls were outright ignored, which the LSPD did not refute. As a result, the agreement reached was that the SASD would be permitted to respond to 911 calls from 10PM to 6AM. No patrols permitted, only responding to 911 calls. The assembly agreed to review the jursidiction system at every meeting until such time as the LSPD is fully capable.Additionally, any city is fully within their right to decide jurisdictions for inside their city, whether it's to accept outside help or refuse it.2. Absolutely they should be voted for. The currently assembly members are purely interim, as I explained above.3. Can you be more specific about which law was passed that was outside our boundary?

Coffee shops.......... you can sell weed for personal use in coffee shops?????????????????????1) They're appointed by municipal and geographical mapping, a commission is also created in a committee-esque style to observe, change and map jurisdictions based off of delegation of authority, agency agenda and the appointed positioned.I don't have any issue with the actual grant, the LSPD needs help, it welcomes it. At the same time, but next time with the SASD be granted primary or full undisclosed authority over the local police departments municipality? The very existence of the SASD was to be a separate entity, a different agenda that didn't involve them being in the LSPD juri, nor doing their tasks as well. The SASD is an apolitical law enforcement officer agency with tasks of patrolling unincorporated towns (i.e flint county, red country, i.e.e why the have the WHOLE outside of LS as primary), dealing with court services (i.e serving subpoenas, executing warrants, transferring and detaining/managing prisoners).Whatever they want in between their department is up for grabs, they can do as they please but once it interferes with our jurisdictional right we both agree'd to (which included them not entering city without permission or merit) which is the best since again, we have different jobs, they shouldn't be doing ours.Them helping us is fine, them doing so then going back to their primary tasks in their primary. I petitioned for the SASD to be opened with Nadr and a few others to create new passive roleplay, not join in under a new banner and new departments. This committee shouldn't ever alter anything beyond "allowing" the SASD inside the city as it would be impossible to do so.SASD has no more powers than the LSPD does, they aren't a federal agency and they're law officers of the state just as cops are in the city. 2) That's good, I made this topic for awareness and also to seek a discussion on where this committee is going. I'm not contesting it or combating its implementation or its existence. I like where this is going, we need to make sure there's no loopholes and everything is covered. 3)

Regarding the legalisation of marijuana coffee shops, this legislation was brought to the Assembly by a signed petition of 20+ names. It was then passed by Representatives including the Chief of Police and the Sheriff. The bill will be implemented shortly, and the Government of Los Santos (presumably the Licensing Department) will be responsible for issuing a limited amount of licenses to locations, with strict measures to monitor, control and regulate.As it currently stands, the Upper House (the House of Councillors) can only propose, support and amend bills. The power ultimately lies with the Lower House (the House of Representatives) which is currently made up of leaders from across the spectrum until elections are held shortly (the Assembly is less than a week old and the three sessions held so far have helped establish rules and protocols).As for SASD, they were permitted jurisdiction to answer 911 calls in LSPD between the hours of 10pm and 6am - they are not allowed to patrol. Additionally, provisions were made to equalise LSPD recruits' pay with SASD as well as further incentives and no longer can LSPD staff transfer to SASD. All these steps were proposed in the Assembly to encourage more people to join and remain with LSPD - and the Jurisdiction Bill will no doubt be reviewed in the next session of the Assembly, and again, until LSPD's manpower has been restored.

I'll do my best to answer your questions towards the end. The current members of the assembly have been appointed by the mayor - with some picked purely because they happened to be available at the time. The first meeting was largely a test to see how the system would work, with the following two seemingly meant to resolve the jurisdiction issue between the LSPD and the SASD. The mayor has told me he does intend to do elections as soon as possible.The SASD is allowed a representative at the assembly, and Deputy Sheriff Alex Schneider represented them yesterday. Nadr was also there too, I believe, though simply to watch.Why there is a traditional lower and upper house rather than a simplistic, traditional American city council, I don't know. To my knowledge the only bill that has 'over-ruled' federal laws is the bill allowing the licensing of 'coffee shops' which can sell marijuana. However this isn't by any means unrealistic. There are numerous cities and states that have permitted the sale of medical and recreational marijuana, and many more cities have decriminalized marijuana for private consumption. The federal government's stance on this for some time has been to let it slide, with the Department of Justice saying they won't interfere with local/state laws regarding marijuana and with the DEA ordered to treat marijuana enforcement as its lowest priority in areas in which marijuana has been decriminalized.
Assistant Sheriff*
The corporate congress is the future. When the Government goes bankrupt, the corporations will be the ones to take place of what the Government once was. That's all that came to mind, the rest of this, which I did actually take all the time to read, was just a repeat of what I thought you said would be overwith.
Continuum.....
Are they council members? I thought they were membes of the "Assembly". What kind of Government do we have here. And American one or a European one?The drug thing, to my understanding. Is the Government will allow an individual to establish a coffee shop that will bake or mix drug or drug oils into the food and other items for purchase, no one will be smoking weed inside a coffee shop, and there will not be a million of them. Honestly I see this "bill" or whatever becoming revoked in the near future after citizens abuse this right.
Regarding the legalisation of marijuana coffee shops, this legislation was brought to the Assembly by a signed petition of 20+ names. It was then passed by Representatives including the Chief of Police and the Sheriff. The bill will be implemented shortly, and the Government of Los Santos (presumably the Licensing Department) will be responsible for issuing a limited amount of licenses to locations, with strict measures to monitor, control and regulate.As it currently stands, the Upper House (the House of Councillors) can only propose, support and amend bills. The power ultimately lies with the Lower House (the House of Representatives) which is currently made up of leaders from across the spectrum until elections are held shortly (the Assembly is less than a week old and the three sessions held so far have helped establish rules and protocols).As for SASD, they were permitted jurisdiction to answer 911 calls in LSPD between the hours of 10pm and 6am - they are not allowed to patrol. Additionally, provisions were made to equalise LSPD recruits' pay with SASD as well as further incentives and no longer can LSPD staff transfer to SASD. All these steps were proposed in the Assembly to encourage more people to join and remain with LSPD - and the Jurisdiction Bill will no doubt be reviewed in the next session of the Assembly, and again, until LSPD's manpower has been restored.
This "House of Councillors" should be built of elected officials, people who have the highest say in the matter, can break ties, and are lead by our Mayor. We need to be basing ourselves off a American city council, maybe leaders of the government should look some things up so we're clear on it, As... #Merica?

Weed sold in coffee shops is pure retarded. As a real life pothead I can tell you that it is a ridiculous method, sorry. Though, take it constructively please. I don't need another infraction for speaking my opinion on the matter.

IT: this system is flawed, im not saying it's not welcomed here--im saying the exact opposite. we need something like this, it just needs some tweaking to fully assert its political ruling over the IC communities. some stuff needs to be affirmed, we can't and shouldn't step out of our powers of authority.

thank god you're gone, you didn't have the initiative to even bother making the government faction after essentially pleading with you. you were too busy messing around with your friends while the server remained in a stagnate form of retardation. took you and a bunch of shit fucks to leave for this server to finally balance itself out. pc kid.IT: this system is flawed, im not saying it's not welcomed here--im saying the exact opposite. we need something like this, it just needs some tweaking to fully assert its political ruling over the IC communities. some stuff needs to be affirmed, we can't and shouldn't step out of our powers of authority.
I completely agree. The basis and reasoning behind the assembly are good, but there are definitely some problems that need to be worked out to make the assembly more legitimate and realistic. Having elections as soon as possible would be a good start.

I agree with @Dusty. The system is unrealistic, ridiculous and way too sophisticated. This is a city government, not a state government nor the federal government of the United States. Like c'mon, just have a simple council that can pass by-laws in the city and that is made up of elected council members and the heads of government factions. I have never heard of a city government having an upper and lower house, that's not even needed, you don't have enough members and why does everything need to pass through two separate entries instead of the council? The upper house in real life doesn't contain the head of the government and his cabinet like your upper house does. Your city council wouldn't have any powers outside of the City of Los Santos nor over the San Andreas Sheriff Department and you couldn't overrule the Superior Court of San Andreas and such forth. You don't need a complex system, the server doesn't need it and it's utterly superficial. Why is SAN and the Bank on your "assembly' aka a council? They need to be elected members, private entries are not permitted to be on councils in real life, its a massive conflict of interest. The bank is not government owned and cannot be.Legalising marijuana in cafes? Um, you don't have the power to do that and this isn't Amsterdam. Even Denmark has cracked down on that, cafes can no longer sell to non-residents.Also, the mayor is simply a veto in the event of a tie on a vote in council, he is not the final say.

I agree with @Dusty. The system is unrealistic, ridiculous and way too sophisticated. This is a city government, not a state government nor the federal government of the United States. Like c'mon, just have a simple council that can pass by-laws in the city and that is made up of elected council members and the heads of government factions. I have never heard of a city government having an upper and lower house, that's not even needed, you don't have enough members and why does everything need to pass through two separate entries instead of the council? The upper house in real life doesn't contain the head of the government and his cabinet like your upper house does. Your city council wouldn't have any powers outside of the City of Los Santos nor over the San Andreas Sheriff Department and you couldn't overrule the Superior Court of San Andreas and such forth. You don't need a complex system, the server doesn't need it and it's utterly superficial. Why is SAN and the Bank on your "assembly' aka a council? They need to be elected members, private entries are not permitted to be on councils in real life, its a massive conflict of interest. The bank is not government owned and cannot be.Legalising marijuana in cafes? Um, you don't have the power to do that and this isn't Amsterdam. Even Denmark has cracked down on that, cafes can no longer sell to non-residents.Also, the mayor is simply a veto in the event of a tie on a vote in council, he is not the final say.
Well its still illegal by the States standard and Federal standard. Meaning SASD can technically raid the cafes if we wanted to.
Well its still illegal by the States standard and Federal standard. Meaning SASD can technically raid the cafes if we wanted to.
in that case so can lspd, but if do so we'd both look like major fucking idiots as we VOTED for it.

If you really wanted to "discriminate", you could have just added California Health & Safety Code 11357 HS - Possession of Marijuana which if the possession is under 28.5 grams (can be adjusted for game purposes), it's only a $100 infraction aka a ticket with no criminal record or mandatory court appearance. I, for one, would like to know if the Government Faction has spoken to and consulted illegal faction leaders or not to establish how much OOC effect your current plans will have on the drug trade which can fuck up a lot of people's roleplay.

On topic though, I agree with Dusty. Sad enough nobody is open to opinions from the staff side because half of these opinions are from children minds who don't know shit about politics and fuck around too much to be cared about. Though, I can't say nobody completely. They'll see it, but they won't implement what your opinion was into whatever matter at hand.