Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SazLore

[General] - Weather System Revamp

Do you think this should be implemented into the server?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this should be implemented into the server?

• Yes, I like this idea.
    • No, I am against this idea.

[mheader]Script Suggestion[/mheader]What would be the name of the script?

Weather System Revamp

What kind of script(s) are you suggesting?

General

Has said suggestion been seen on other servers before?

Yes

What is the suggestion?

Quite simply the current weather system with the popup is rather crap. It's very basic and simple, and...also really, really dumb. -18C mid May? What is this, Scotland?Whilst I don't live in the US and actually live in the UK, I understand our climates and weathers are rather different, and as far as I understand it where we RP LS/SA being situated, it's more of a warmer, humid climate than it is in the UK.What I'm pretty much suggesting is redo the entire weather system. From what I gather at the moment the weather popup window thingy corresponds in some way to the actual game weather that is randomized and also set by an administrator. I'm suggesting we work on the base weather system we have, but elaborate it, make it more intense and realistic.By this I mean re-work the temperatures that we are set to RP. The prime example I've said at the start of -18C in the middle of May is just absurd in my eyes. Is it going to be -20 all of Summer? Probably not unless the weather is really, really messed up.With that in mind, another change that would be nice to see, would be Seasons-orientated weather too. I believe in the MTA functions you're able to pull server date. Simply set it up so when the weather changes, it checks the date. If it's in the winter seasons, then set it more likely to have something like rain, or fog, or colder temperatures. Whereas in Summer more likely to be sunny, etc.Along side this we could even add in an automatic flood/drought system. Winters, more rain, more snow. Set it so every minute the rain weather is in effect, it slowly (very VERY slowly I mean) sets the water level higher, and higher til it hits a max limit to make sure it doesn't get too out of hand. Then of course in the other extreme, Summer. The more sunny weather we get, slowly and slowly LOWER the water level til it hits a minimum amount so it doesn't get too extreme. This way the weather we have to RP actually has some kind of effect on how we can RP. Really really sunny weather, but you want to go out on your boat? Make sure you're not trying to go as inland as normal cause the water level may be lower. Stuff like that.Another cool thing would be to set it so we have some way of "forcing" the weather to be RPd, so to speak. We could bring in some form of thirst system (Some SAMP 'RP' servers have this, and it doesn't work out too bad tbh. No harm in trying now, is there?). This would also bring use to the drink items we have. Soft drinks, water up your thirst etc etc. But then the warmer the weather, the more sun there is, the quicker your thirst depletes. And for admins/supporters on duty handling reports, could simply disable the thirst effect should they be on duty or such.Another idea could be to have the weather directly effect vehicles, as vehicles are kind of the biggest part on the server to be blunt. Really, really rainy weather and such? Bump up the handling. Make cares easier to spin out, allow some kind of aqua-planing script or such, things like that. In the same way, weather could also affect players similar to the thirst system. Weather hitting -20C? Damn that's cold. But get my warm fluffy coat item and use it to make sure I don't start losing health from being cold!And on a final note, fix the sync of the weather system. Quite often I'll log on and find out "Oh, It's a thunder storm. Fair enough." But then I find out from others that actually, it's bright and sunny and my client just hasn't sync'd the weather from the server properly. I know others have had this issue as in my short time as a supporter I've seen quite a few reports pop up about it.I think that mostly sums it up. It's a very general idea, and I'd love if others could post some kind of feedback and ideas on this.I'll also point out, I realize some of this does sound very RPG-ish, but honestly anything is better than what we have at the moment. Everyone just ignores the weather because, well. 1) It's 99% sunny. 2) The temperatures are utterly dumb.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of this script towards the server/gameplay?

+More Realistic roleplay+A better weather system+Weather effects forced upon us will make people have to RP the weather to some extent, which links to more realistic RP-Possibility of abuse by admin cmds to change weather (not that they can't anyway.)-With the weather effects idea / extremes, it could end up being too much / too little. Needs to be balanced properly.-The thirst system idea could be abit too RPG. But I'm also sure we can figure work arounds for it.

Do you have any resources to support our scripters in making said suggestion?

No, but the bulk of the idea (aka the main weather system itself) I could script easily enough if needed.

How would you go about implementing this idea?

Pretty much the only main change would be to make people RP the weather. Though if the system is done automatically, this would effectively be done for us.

I'd love to see more weather used other than the sunny one. I understand people tend to get FPS drops in other weather than the sunny one, but me personally - I'd love to RP in the rain/fog and actually take the weather more into account when it comes down to your general RP style.Yes.