Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bartman

[General] - Progressive tax rates

Do you think this should be implemented into the server?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this should be implemented into the server?

• Yes, I like this idea.
    • No, I am against this idea.

[mheader]Script Suggestion[/mheader]What would be the name of the script?

Progressive tax rates

What kind of script(s) are you suggesting?

General

Has said suggestion been seen on other servers before?

No

What is the suggestion?

A more realistic, progressive income/vehicle/property tax per wealth of the person.
  • No income (Under 10k in assets) - TAX EXEMPT
  • Low income (10k to 50k in assets) would pay lowest - 5% or so income tax and the lowest vehicle/property tax bracket
  • Medium income (50k-250k in assets) would pay medium - 10% or so income tax and the 2nd lowest property/vehicle tax bracket
  • High income (250k-500k in assets) would pay higher, - 15% or so income tax and the 3rd highest bracket for property/vehicle tax
  • Higher income (500k-1 mill in assets) would pay higher than that, 20% or so.income tax and the 2nd highest bracket for property/vehicle tax
  • Highest income bracket, 1%ers (1 mill+ in assets) would pay 30% or so income tax and the highest bracket for property/vehicle tax

This is different in that though the current system makes you pay more the more money you have, it still is the same percentage across the board, which isn't a true 'progressive' tax.Going on the 'preventing sitting on money' train, bank interest should be taxed if it isn't already because bank interest
is
taxable income.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of this script towards the server/gameplay?

Advantages:Decreases 'sitting on money' with a tax hike - sitting on a couple million will be a lot harder to achieve when you're on the hook for 30% of your incomeIncreases gov't revenueMakes it harder to earn money when you have a lot, which is
really
needed in the current economyFunctions as a
fantastic
money sink to decrease inflationDisadvantages:Harder to buy your 5th Lamborghini?

Do you have any resources to support our scripters in making said suggestion?

N/a

How would you go about implementing this idea?

Nothing special, really.

Here's a chart:[TABLE=width: 500]BracketAssetsIncome tax rateProperty/vehicle tax rate10-10kEXEMPTEXEMPT20-50K5%LOW350K-250K10%MEDIUM4250K-500K15%HIGH5500K-1MIL20%HIGHER61MIL+30%HIGHEST[/TABLE]

I think that the major problem with people hoaring money lies with the fact that they're not forced to spend their income on a lot of necessities that people have to in real life such as food or water or medical care and so on: this leaves people with a lot of disposable income for them to waste away on cars and property which are pretty much the only desirable goods on the server.Implementing this suggestion and possibly hiking the tax to reflect the expenses that I've mentioned above would probably fix most of the statwhoring issue in a matter of months: plus it isn't hard to get average numbers of basic household expenses in the US considering that I've just found at least eight of them in a simple search on Google.The only way I see this getting failed would be because of the massive statwhore clique slash pressure group that settled in on the server who constantly keeps hindering reforms from happening but honestly if the administration does want Owl to stand out from competitive servers then creating a bare shade of a real economy or at least one that wouldn't be so bluntly moronic would be a good place to start at considering that I know from personal experience that a lot of people have a problem with economies and of how stats are treated in other communities in other mods.

I think that the major problem with people hoaring money lies with the fact that they're not forced to spend their income on a lot of necessities that people have to in real life such as food or water or medical care and so on: this leaves people with a lot of disposable income for them to waste away on cars and property which are pretty much the only desirable goods on the server.Implementing this suggestion and possibly hiking the tax to reflect the expenses that I've mentioned above would probably fix most of the statwhoring issue in a matter of months: plus it isn't hard to get average numbers of basic household expenses in the US considering that I've just found at least eight of them in a simple search on Google.The only way I see this getting failed would be because of the massive statwhore clique slash pressure group that settled in on the server who constantly keeps hindering reforms from happening but honestly if the administration does want Owl to stand out from competitive servers then creating a bare shade of a real economy or at least one that wouldn't be so bluntly moronic would be a good place to start at considering that I know from personal experience that a lot of people have a problem with economies and of how stats are treated in other communities in other mods.
The major problem is that there's a small group that is absolutely obsessed with money.Part of this group seems to care more about how much money other people have than about how they're gonna feed themselves tonight. Part of this group seems to care more about the figures in their bank accounts than about what they make out of their characters. Spoiler alert: both parts of this group suck. Stop caring about money so much and focus on role-playing instead.

The major problem is that there's a small group that is absolutely obsessed with money.Part of this group seems to care more about how much money other people have than about how they're gonna feed themselves tonight. Part of this group seems to care more about the figures in their bank accounts than about what they make out of their characters. Spoiler alert: both parts of this group suck. Stop caring about money so much and focus on role-playing instead.
and then there's another group who ignores the fact that stats and money in general are a base point of roleplay or at least roleplay here on GTA because it isn't like in d20 or GURPS where your characters have wealth levels and there isn't a lot of focus on money and certainly isn't like your run of the mill forum freeform roleplay where concrete stats or rules don't exist and people can roleplay whatever they want without having to grind for it.the point about GTA RP and what makes it different from the rest is that it is supposed to be as close of a realistic portrayal of daily life of a bunch of random people from different walks of life in the US state of San Andreas in the current year: the purpose of that is defeated when you have situations like beat cops living in high-end areas and owning a garage packed with imported luxury vehicles.people need to quit prancing around with that poserish "uh i'm all about the rp brah" argument because it barely makes sense: if my character wants money or a car or a piece of jewelery then he can't simply roleplay having it as in other means of rp and this is why stats are vital.

and then there's another group who ignores the fact that stats and money in general are a base point of roleplay or at least roleplay here on GTA because it isn't like in d20 or GURPS where your characters have wealth levels and there isn't a lot of focus on money and certainly isn't like your run of the mill forum freeform roleplay where concrete stats or rules don't exist and people can roleplay whatever they want without having to grind for it.the point about GTA RP and what makes it different from the rest is that it is supposed to be as close of a realistic portrayal of daily life of a bunch of random people from different walks of life in the US state of San Andreas in the current year: the purpose of that is defeated when you have situations like beat cops living in high-end areas and owning a garage packed with imported luxury vehicles.people need to quit prancing around with that poserish "uh i'm all about the rp brah" argument because it barely makes sense: if my character wants money or a car or a piece of jewelery then he can't simply roleplay having it as in other means of rp and this is why stats are vital.
It barely makes sense to you because you have the wrong relationship with the scripted aspects of MTA RP: just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. I spent weeks with a seven figure bank balance and huge paychecks on a character that lives in a shack and drives an 80s Cadillac. I haven't felt the urge to go out and buy myself a house in Vinewood yet. You know why? Because I do /stats, chuckle at the balance and get back to the reason I'm here. I already have a paycheck, a bank balance, bills and taxes in real life. I don't come here to get more of that, I come here so I can pretend I'm someone different entirely through a variety of characters. I come here so I can interact with other people doing the same thing in their own way. I come here so after having spent a day in my office dealing with retarded office shit, I can do something different. I can be a 38-year-old hippie woman sharing a blunt with a Russian mobster outside a bar. I can be a junkie biker with a dark past exchanging banter with cops during a traffic stop. I can be a black teenager biking around derelict areas watching gang action from across train tracks. I can be a young bimbo looking to get in bed with some high ranking government officials. Whether I have $500 or $5,000,000 doesn't make a freaking difference. That's what this is. This isn't Second Life.Edit: to clarify my thought. The script supports your roleplay. You aren't playing the script. The script isn't the game.

Sounds like someone is running from the IRS:IRSAdrianProject2014.jpg

I would LOVE for there to be an IRS looking into the legitimacy of bank account transactions and keep track of taxes and that sort of shit. Like, I would straight up ask to run it. It'd put an end to the ridiculous amount of criminal dollars in the bank that no one gives a shit about.

I would LOVE for there to be an IRS looking into the legitimacy of bank account transactions and keep track of taxes and that sort of shit. Like, I would straight up ask to run it. It'd put an end to the ridiculous amount of criminal dollars in the bank that no one gives a shit about.
I actually would be interested in a IRS-CID type faction.

It barely makes sense to you because you have the wrong relationship with the scripted aspects of MTA RP: just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. I spent weeks with a seven figure bank balance and huge paychecks on a character that lives in a shack and drives an 80s Cadillac. I haven't felt the urge to go out and buy myself a house in Vinewood yet. You know why? Because I do /stats, chuckle at the balance and get back to the reason I'm here. I already have a paycheck, a bank balance, bills and taxes in real life. I don't come here to get more of that, I come here so I can pretend I'm someone different entirely through a variety of characters. I come here so I can interact with other people doing the same thing in their own way. I come here so after having spent a day in my office dealing with retarded office shit, I can do something different. I can be a 38-year-old hippie woman sharing a blunt with a Russian mobster outside a bar. I can be a junkie biker with a dark past exchanging banter with cops during a traffic stop. I can be a black teenager biking around derelict areas watching gang action from across train tracks. I can be a young bimbo looking to get in bed with some high ranking government officials. Whether I have $500 or $5,000,000 doesn't make a freaking difference. That's what this is. This isn't Second Life.Edit: to clarify my thought. The script supports your roleplay. You aren't playing the script. The script isn't the game.
this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. a character having 500 or 5 million dollars to their name is a very crucial part to who their character is just as much as what type of car they drive or what they wear or how they act. they're all details that make a character. like you said, the script is supposed to support our RP, so why bother having money in the script if we're just gonna treat it as if it's irrelevant? it has a clear effect on what our characters do IC, so why treat it like an OOC entity?

Guest Franco
italy-1990.jpgTime to hide my 9.4 million!!! On topic: I'd love to see something like this happen, it'd really be interesting to see.

Probably won't, FMT has been rather against trying anything "new" since its inception.
Meh, new things should come as it keeps the game interesting and unique (if it is completely new)But yes for the suggestion.