GioSerpo

[Menyoo] Mapping Owl Interiors for Beginners | WIP

So, I've seen a lot of people asking how to make maps, so I'm making this guide. This guide assumes that you have already got GTA V running and installed, and are able to run RAGE and connect to Owl. As with any mods, I HIGHLY recommend you back up your game folder before starting, and for best results, I recommend a clean install as well.

SETTING UP

The first step in getting started is to go download and install OpenIV. Once installed, launch it. You'll get a screen like this: 

Spoiler

Y0DzIi8.png

Click the 'Windows' button for GTA V. Once it loads, the next step is to go to Tools->ASI Manager, shown here:

Spoiler

IrdaoJD.png

Install the ASI Loader and OpenIV.asi from the next screen. OpenIV.asi will ask you if you want to enable the 'mods' folder. Click yes. Once that is done, you'll be able to install Menyoo, ScripthookV, and the two object packs that the Owl mappers use. You can do that yourself, however, it is much simpler if you download this rar file and extract it to your GTA V install directory. Again, it's highly recommended to use a fresh install and back up GTA V before doing this. If it asks you if you want to skip or replace duplicate files, you'll want to copy and replace, however, in a clean install, nothing should need replaced.

If you would like to go the route of installing the other mods without using the file I supplied, you can. That is the hard way. The links are below.

ScripthookV - Scroll down to 'Download' and click it.

Menyoo - Click the MenyooSP.zip under 1.4.0

Soups Mapping Kit - Scroll down to the purple 'Soup's Mapping Kit!' spoiler, and show it, use the first mediafire link.

The Owl Prop Pack - Full instructions on how to install that pack, if you already have everything else working. Credits to that pack goes to @Effect

Do note that if you go the route of downloading it the hard way, and get stuck, I don't personally give you support.  

Edited by GioSerpo
link for rar added
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

RECOMMENDED SETTINGS

Once everything is copied, launch GTA V story mode. If it loads properly, congratulations, you're past the hardest part. If it crashes, you can either forum PM me, DM me on discord, or ask in the mappers lounge on the Owl discord. Once you get loaded into story mode, if you haven't already, play through the prologue mission and the franklin and lamar mission and quick save the game, afterwards, using the phone. That way, you don't have to play those missions each time you load. When you're ready to start, press F8 twice. The first time, you'll hear a notification sound, the second time, you'll get a menu in the top left.

Spoiler

fCdtbqm.jpg

Navigation is rather simple, once you're in the menu. The Up arrow and Down arrow go up and down, Enter selects the highlighted option, backspace goes back a screen. Let's now test and see if the modpacks are loaded. Navigate to Object Spooner > Spooner Mode, and hit enter. Your viewpoint will change to a form of freecam, however, I DO NOT recommend using this freecam to go too far away from your player. From there, navigate to Spawn Entity Into World > Object and navigate down to 'Soupfloor001.' If it isn't showing up in the list, you did something wrong. If it is showing up in the list, but you're not getting a preview, again, something was done wrong. Either case, you can always ask for help. If it works, you'll get something like this:

Spoiler

v59JuuI.jpeg

Press enter, and congrats, you've spawned your first object! However, there is still one more thing to check. Navigate to search, and type 'Vikings' (without the quotes) You'll get one result, 'vikings_table' and a preview. That's how you know you did everything right.

I have some specific settings I turn on when I map in menyoo. They auto save, so, they could already be enabled if you used my link to download, however, if they aren't, some options I use for mapping are Misc Options > Free Cam (NoClip), Player Options > Invincibility, Player Options > Never Wanted,  and Time Options > Freeze Time. You can freeze and unfreeze time at will, you can't change it when it's frozen, but, freezing it at night helps you get the lighting right!

Edited by GioSerpo

RESERVED

Posted (edited)

POST MAPPING

Once you have completed the map and saved it and the reference point, there are a few more steps before it's ready to upload. You'll need to download ME2YM and extract the contents of that zip to an empty folder. Run the program and click File > Open. Menyoo maps are saved by default to GTA_INSTALL_DIR/MenyooStuff/Spooner so navigate to there and click the map you want to convert, then click load. Once loaded, click Edit > Calc. Extents, then File > Export. Name it but DO NOT change the extension. It'll save a file with a name like yourmap.ymap.xml. Next, launch OpenIV, enable edit mode, navigate to your mods directory, then drag and drop the converted file. OpenIV will load a progress bar, and quickly convert the file. Now, you can exit OpenIV. What you do with this map is up to you. If you're going to use it as a personal, private map, then, once in game, navigate to the exterior marker of your property, open your inventory, right click your key and select upload custom interior. Use the coordinates you got from the reference point for the coordinates of the interior section. If you would like to share your map for public use, however, you can fill out this form!

Edited by GioSerpo