[General] - change the chat proximity range

OwlGaming.png

Script Suggestion

What would be the name of the script(s)?-

change the chat proximity range

What kind of script(s) are you suggesting?-
General

What is the suggestion?-
I don't really know if the current range is bugged or if this was intended, but I thought I would write this up in case it's the latter but if it's bugged then please fix it. At the moment all chat commands have an INSANE proximity range, people who are almost at the other end of a street are able to see your chat. I suggest that all chat commands are put under the microscope and get their ranges reviewed because right now they are far too large. You shouldn't be able to hear someone's conversation when you're far away, especially considering there isn't a command to speak quieter (at least to my knowledge), it also makes /s kind of pointless as it looks like the default chat range is roughly the same range as the /s. I'd also suggest adding a new command like /low or /l in which you're able to speak at a much smaller chat range, like 1/4 of the normal chat range.

Example of the current chat range using normal speech and /me: bSTQTkB.jpg

Bear with me, I don't really know how to what measurements the distance is set in for the chat ranges so I'm going off counting steps your character takes for the ranges I'm about to suggest. Currently, the normal chat distance is around 30 steps, but I suggest the following distances:
Normal chat - 10 steps (this would be the same range for people speaking on phones and radios)
Chat in car (for people outside the car hearing people talking inside and vice versa) - 4 steps
shouting - 18 steps
Shout loudly - 25 steps
/me - 15 steps
/do - 15 steps
/b - 15 steps

As for the /low command that I suggest adding, this would just be like normal chatter but the range cut in half so you can speak at a lower volume to a small group without the need to whisper.
/low - 3 steps

What are the advantages?-
This will improve immersion, help keep the chat clean, and also help with understanding who you're talking to.

What are the disadvantages?-

I honestly can't think of a single disadvantage.

Do you have any resources to support our scripters in making said suggestion?-
N/A

How would you go about implementing this idea?-
The chat ranges would just need to be adjusted and /low or a similar command will need to be added.

Edited by SilverbackGorilla
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, SilverbackGorilla said:

I'd also suggest adding a new command like /low or /l in which you're able to speak at a much smaller chat range,

We already have this implemented. We have /c for close proximity and /w for whispering to 1 person.

Just going to throw my 2 cents in here. The darker the text, the farther away you are. So, if it's a quiet area and there are just two people talking, the distance shown is realistically capable to hear someone speaking in a normal voice, they would just sound very quiet, hence why the text darkens. Obviously, fine tuning the distance of chat based on how noisy the area is and how many people are talking at once is extremely complicated, if not flat out impossible. That said, when there are multiple people in an area, and/or lots of music playing, then, realistically, you WOULDN'T be able to hear it at the distance shown, but it'd still show up darker. In cases like that, you should most likely ignore the darker lines. My general rule is if it's a dark line, I skip over it when reading the chat. I think that the IC chat, and all the IC commands mentioned are fine where they are EXCEPT for the /c (which is low, or close proximity) and /w (which is whisper) I think the range on the two need to be reversed, becasue, as it stands, I can be 3 steps away from someone and use /w but I that same distance, I can't use /c.

TL;DR - I think the only commands for chat that need tweaked are /c and /w. I think everything else is okay where it is.

EDIT: I also do want to point out that, if you're in a car with the windows up, talking in the main IC, then just the people inside can hear, if they are down, it follows the same chat range afaik. The other commands in question all work similarly. 

Edited by GioSerpo
13 hours ago, GioSerpo said:

Just going to throw my 2 cents in here. The darker the text, the farther away you are. So, if it's a quiet area and there are just two people talking, the distance shown is realistically capable to hear someone speaking in a normal voice, they would just sound very quiet, hence why the text darkens. Obviously, fine tuning the distance of chat based on how noisy the area is and how many people are talking at once is extremely complicated, if not flat out impossible. That said, when there are multiple people in an area, and/or lots of music playing, then, realistically, you WOULDN'T be able to hear it at the distance shown, but it'd still show up darker. In cases like that, you should most likely ignore the darker lines. My general rule is if it's a dark line, I skip over it when reading the chat. I think that the IC chat, and all the IC commands mentioned are fine where they are EXCEPT for the /c (which is low, or close proximity) and /w (which is whisper) I think the range on the two need to be reversed, becasue, as it stands, I can be 3 steps away from someone and use /w but I that same distance, I can't use /c.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. All the chat commands need some serious looking into. /c is too short, /s is almost the same range as normal speaking. I'm fine with the chat turning grey to indicate some distance, but the range right now is just silly. If you want someone to hear you from far away you should be able to use /s and /sl but there's no middle ground between chat ranges at all, you have normal speech going too far and /c being too short

• Like 1