Jump to content
ResidentPeach

[Maximum Factions Per Character] - Discuss

Recommended Posts

haha yes. Imagine being Firefighter-EMS/Head Flight instructor/CEO of your own company/PWTD co director/

 

Maybe allowing a character to be part of only ONE government official faction (CAA/GOV/LSPD/EMS/PWTD). That way the player can still start his own side business which isn't that uncommon. But there are players that are currently part of every government official faction you can think of which is unrealistic and taking spots of potential other players.

Edited by Jer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly do agree as anything more than two factions just doesn't make sense.

However, having a faction for business + job / gang makes sense , but when people are literally going into 4-5+ factions just doesn't make sense.

That's always been why I hated faction + faction threads cause its ooc metagame character rosters but I won't get into that on here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, unless your character is Elon Musk which is 1 in a 100000000000.
 
There should be a limit for sure, and I've seen people with multiple characters in the same faction which is just amazing.
However the server is pretty new and you can get away with a lot of stuff right now, but as we are reaching a higher playerbase I'm positive that the admin team will eventually fix this with many other things.

❤️❤️❤️ 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 already spoken to some people who have now made changes to reflect this as well.  Long as you can be apart of one GOV faction and a business like Jer said it makes more sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vubstersmurf said:

+1 already spoken to some people who have now made changes to reflect this as well.  Long as you can be apart of one GOV faction and a business like Jer said it makes more sense.

tenor.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Vubstersmurf said:

+1 already spoken to some people who have now made changes to reflect this as well.  Long as you can be apart of one GOV faction and a business like Jer said it makes more sense.

Appreciated but the damage has already been done, if character development was properly thought about especially by particular staff members whom are supposed to be examples in this community, this thread wouldn't have ever been made. The economy cannot be exploited like this again because it completely ruins the server from having a natural balance of social classes, we're yet again starting off with the upper class and middle class being more common than the lower class.

 

Spoiler

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Pyramid_of_different_social_and_economic_classes_by_population_and_wealth.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Vubstersmurf said:

+1 already spoken to some people who have now made changes to reflect this as well.  Long as you can be apart of one GOV faction and a business like Jer said it makes more sense.

 

Found some good articles for those who you spoke to. Would you be so kind to forward them these articles?
Thanks in advance.
https://www.engadget.com/2012-02-25-help-your-roleplay-character-along-with-a-character-questionaire.html
https://www.tribality.com/2014/11/04/a-writers-guide-to-better-roleplaying-developing-character-at-the-table/
https://www.roleplayingtips.com/rptn/rpt259-creating-basic-character-personalities/

4 minutes ago, ResidentPeach said:

Appreciated but the damage has already been done, if character development was properly thought about especially by particular staff members whom are supposed to be examples in this community, this thread wouldn't have ever been made. The economy cannot be exploited like this again because it completely ruins the server from having a natural balance of social classes, we're yet again starting off with the upper class and middle class being more common than the lower class.

 

  Hide contents

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Pyramid_of_different_social_and_economic_classes_by_population_and_wealth.jpg

 

Edited by Jer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't this already something in MTA by rules or something? Thought that was something we experienced back then too and they made changes that you could be in 1 gov faction and 1 side faction. But yea, since we had this back in MTA I don't see why this isn't in V

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yannick said:

Wasn't this already something in MTA by rules or something? Thought that was something we experienced back then too and they made changes that you could be in 1 gov faction and 1 side faction. But yea, since we had this back in MTA I don't see why this isn't in V

By command too, you never got paid unless if you were actually scriptwise on /duty as it was brought about to combat paycheck farming. Of course in this discussion I'm also labelling how particular people have taken advantage for their own self interest, all due to the lack of a rule or preventative script function like we originally had on MTA. It's taken way too long for it to be brought up anyways, you'd have expected a staff member to have brought it up but instead some of them appear to have taken advantage of it too hence why it takes a normal player who doesn't think just about themselves or their immediate group of friends to bring it up again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ResidentPeach said:

By command too, you never got paid unless if you were actually scriptwise on /duty as it was brought about to combat paycheck farming. Of course in this discussion I'm also labelling how particular people have taken advantage for their own self interest, all due to the lack of a rule or preventative script function like we originally had on MTA. It's taken way too long for it to be brought up anyways, you'd have expected a staff member to have brought it up but instead some of them appear to have taken advantage of it too hence why it takes a normal player who doesn't think just about themselves or their immediate group of friends to bring it up again.

A problem in this case would be the fact that some factions don't have a /duty or even badges yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, xmatryx1 said:

A problem in this case would be the fact that some factions don't have a /duty or even badges yet.

That's true however for the badges, that's for another suggestion if you wish to make one. Badges as far as I know have to be specifically scripted in, and the same goes for duty. It's not going to be at the MTA level yet where you can establish duty spots, and as for badges on MTA well you had to script those in too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, you're telling me that a single character shouldn't be portrayed as a firefighting, impound lot towtruck operator, who happens to be a flight instructor and the Commissioner of Nonces, all at the same time?... Not to mention always driving one of his $250,000 Sports car that he uses to street race all the other blockheads on the side.

 

Got my +1

Edited by Zebulon
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zebulon said:

Wait, you're telling me that a single character shouldn't be portrayed as firefighting, impound lot towtruck operator, who happens to be a flight instructor and the Commissioner of Nonces, all at the same time?... Not to mention always driving one of his $250,000 Sports car that he uses to street race all the other blockheads on the side.

 

Got my +1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_ga0j4rfczVCMa05UbJO

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't agree with this suggestion and I think a major point being missed here is that what a character gets jobs as or employed to do is strictly an In Character issue, it should also be dealt with IC if someone is underperforming for having so many jobs. I don't actually do this so I would go unaffected by any limit so long as you can have at least 2 factions, but if for example I - as a player on the server - can create enough time to perform multiple jobs why artificially restrict me from that?

 

Chastise the Character, not the Player.

 

A scripted limitation just doesn't make sense to me and I think the time is much better invested elsewhere.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Express said:

I don't agree with this suggestion and I think a major point being missed here is that what a character gets jobs as or employed to do is strictly an In Character issue.

That's already been discussed, full time roles regardless of what sector of work they revolve around take up at least 40 hours a week. Multiply that by 5 full time roles with each of them having lets say something as little as $800.00 per hourly payday, that amounts to $4,000.00 when you've most likely have only been active for one of those full time roles for an hour. What justification do you have for that person who has earnt 5 full time wages when he's only worked one full time role in that hour?

 

It's not about what jobs you get either. Does character development have no relevency anymore? I'm pretty sure an educational background is what usually dictates the job roles that may be available to you, sure if we're talking about jobs outside of the government then employers will usually look at irrelevent skills and try and find some use out of them in order to figure you out as a person; However for government roles, each one certainly requires an educational background that has focused on that one particular avenue with no exceptions for irrelevent qualifications or experience. If you want a character to have a major change to their line of work, the development must be done in order to make sense of it.

 

TL;DR: Don't start complaining about limitations if the purpose of the suggestion is to encourage people to develop a character properly if they're unable to do so on a roleplay server.

 

8 minutes ago, Express said:

It should also be dealt with IC if someone is underperforming for having so many jobs. I don't actually do this so I would go unaffected by any limit so long as you can have at least 2 factions, but if for example I - as a player on the server - can create enough time to perform multiple jobs why artificially restrict me from that?

How is it meant to be dealt with in character when there is currently no way to monitor faction duty activity, you've not been reading this thread enough. As for your last revelation, it's virtually impossible in the timespan of an hour that it takes for you to receive your payday to have worked for more than two job roles. To suggest otherwise is virtually promoting powergaming and poor development which I'll mention again, is what this whole thread is trying to combat.

 

23 minutes ago, Express said:

Chastise the Character, not the Player.

Oh so it's the character that's controlling and influencing the players decisions now? We should start banning the characters for deathmatching now, not the players.

  • Like 1
  • Salty 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Express said:

I don't agree with this suggestion and I think a major point being missed here is that what a character gets jobs as or employed to do is strictly an In Character issue, it should also be dealt with IC if someone is underperforming for having so many jobs. I don't actually do this so I would go unaffected by any limit so long as you can have at least 2 factions, but if for example I - as a player on the server - can create enough time to perform multiple jobs why artificially restrict me from that?

 

Chastise the Character, not the Player.

 

A scripted limitation just doesn't make sense to me and I think the time is much better invested elsewhere.

Don't know what drugs you are on but you make zero sense.
Guess we need a rule change to start banning Characters instead of players like @ResidentPeach mentioned.

  • Haha 1
  • Salty 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to agree with @Express here. Sure, okay we can put up some scripted limitations if that's going to help, but controlling the ways how we should roleplay ourselves?  Not a chance. If I work as a part time bartender up in some bar and part time bouncer while having some close links with some other organization shouldn't be seen as some "bad character development",but if discussion is more aimed at government focused factions then I would understand where this is coming from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Effect said:

I tend to agree with @Express here. Sure, okay we can put up some scripted limitations if that's going to help, but controlling the ways how we should roleplay ourselves?  Not a chance. If I work as a part time bartender up in some bar and part time bouncer while having some close links with some other organization shouldn't be seen as some "bad character development",but if discussion is more aimed at government focused factions then I would understand where this is coming from. 

You are clearly missing the point and not reading the topic whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jer said:

You are clearly missing the point and not reading the topic whatsoever.

Of people abusing the current system and getting paid on multiple factions? And so breaking the server economy and reflecting a bad character development?  I've skipped through it, do not worry. But oh please Jer enlighten me about the true point of this discussion if you are so kind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Effect said:

Of people abusing the current system and getting paid on multiple factions? And so breaking the server economy and reflecting a bad character development?  I've skipped through it, do not worry. But oh please Jer enlighten me about the true point of this discussion if you are so kind. 

 

6 hours ago, Jer said:

haha yes. Imagine being Firefighter-EMS/Head Flight instructor/CEO of your own company/PWTD co director/

 

1 hour ago, Zebulon said:

Wait, you're telling me that a single character shouldn't be portrayed as a firefighting, impound lot towtruck operator, who happens to be a flight instructor and the Commissioner of Nonces, all at the same time?...

 

6 hours ago, ResidentPeach said:
 

I'm going to be as brief as possible. I've noticed as of late a lot of people are stacking up around 4 full time roles in different factions, and perhaps even also owning their own limited liability faction faction on top of that filled with multiple businesses that need their full attention. I wouldn't have a problem with this if it was stretched along multiple characters for each of the roles, however there's plenty of people exploiting this grey area by having all of their faction roles on one single character and this is why I'm posting this thread in order to discuss it with the community. Let us for now realistically assume that each role in any faction right now is on a full time contract, your character is expected to devote the majority of their time to it in order to make a living; How is a single character realistically going to keep up with the example I've described above in order to justify earning a four wages and an even bigger fifth wage from their own corporation?

It sets a poor example of character development to the community, justifying it to newer players who might not know any better if they're relatively new to the concept of roleplay in itself. It encourages unrealistic financial growth because while we're without a /duty function for normal factions, each of the factions you're in will be paying you regardless of activity and roleplay. Is it affecting the server, of course it is when you're having suggestions that point towards the economy being broken or scripted jobs not paying enough or paying too much, the blame usually going towards supercars being too common on the roads now. In the end it brings about a poor perspective for the server, promoting yet again that the possessions of a character are more important than the actual output of roleplay from them leading you to believe the server is just a simple RPG.

TL:DR

This is an RP server. Meaning realism based. Realistically you wouldn't be able to have 5 - 6 full time jobs. Or can you? Because if you are able to. Please teach me how.

With the current system people are stacking up on faction memberships while not roleplaying in them or barely roleplaying in them thus stacking up faction wages whilst not being active in said faction or not having Roleplayed in said faction in that last hour. By putting in scripted limitations for example on the amount of official government ran factions you can be in. That would limit people their ability to uselessly farm paychecks without deserving them.

 

This also frees up positions for more players to interact with different factions and not having one character be Johnny Sins and being in every occupation you can think off.

Edited by Jer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Effect said:

I tend to agree with @Express here. Sure, okay we can put up some scripted limitations if that's going to help, but controlling the ways how we should roleplay ourselves?  Not a chance. If I work as a part time bartender up in some bar and part time bouncer while having some close links with some other organization shouldn't be seen as some "bad character development",but if discussion is more aimed at government focused factions then I would understand where this is coming from. 

Alike @Express you failed to read what has already been covered in this thread. Why can't people return the favour of reading through the thread first instead of trying to paint a completely different picture at the end of the thread because it suits their motives more to take over the narrative? None of this is about controlling anybodies creative freedom, it's to encourage roleplay on a roleplay server which I think a few people have now seem to have forgot about. I'm not disputing part time work whatsoever, it's hard to dictate what is part time and what is full time right now due to the lack of a script enforcing what counts as either. Having a full time job with a part time job in addition I don't see it as an issue, it's common for people to have something on the side however when it grows beyond two that's when it becomes a concern.

 

 

 

 

Edited by ResidentPeach
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with OP.

 

Is this really something that requires an explicit rule? We could do the same thing we did in MTA where you had a soft limit of 3 factions that you could be in at once, and admins could set you in up to 5.

 

Eitherway this seems like a redundant rule, since it would only tend to be enforced retroactively after noticing someone in a lot of factions. It also can be argued that it's just a basic RP rule as it wouldn't make sense that you could dedicate your time to holding 3 full time jobs.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and follow our Guidelines.