Vubstersmurf

Community Feedback - What is needed next?

As vubs said, this is not just script suggestions. It could be managerial suggestions as well, or ways to promote the server!

• Like 2

unban everybody

update mta's ui and ux cuz it looks and feels so fking old like hud and login panel 

Do smth like the support team and make it easier to join

I think more events need to be held just to get people in and engaged. People are typically here to roleplay and I think people get bored easily as they can't find other players and endlessly grinding script jobs like GoPostal, as there is nothing really else to do when 1-2 people are on,  gets boring very fast for a lot of people.

Now, I am not talking necessarily admin-made events but just events in general such as player-owned night clubs, restaurants, and lounges opening up. Last weekend someone opened up a place called 'The Banjo String' and there was about 8 people in-game then and this was at a time usually when it is 1 or 2 on at 10AM UTC.

So, I think if people start hosting events such as car meets, house clubs, bar openings, and night club openings then people will come. 

I've been busy with school and live in a US time zone so I don't always make it during "peak" server times. However, I am working on decorating my cantina and plan to open it a lot even when only 5 people are on to get them something to do.  Would encourage other business owners to give that a try too if you own a place and only see 3 people on. Place an ad and see if anyone shows up. Maybe more people will log-in. 

Edited by zoezoegigantic
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, zoezoegigantic said:

I think more events need to be held just to get people in and engaged. People are typically here to roleplay and I think people get bored easily as they can't find other players and endlessly grinding script jobs like GoPostal, as there is nothing really else to do when 1-2 people are on,  gets boring very fast for a lot of people.

Now, I am not talking necessarily admin-made events but just events in general such as player-owned night clubs, restaurants, and lounges opening up. Last weekend someone opened up a place called 'The Banjo String' and there was about 8 people in-game then and this was at a time usually when it is 1 or 2 on at 10AM UTC.

So, I think if people start hosting events such as car meets, house clubs, bar openings, and night club openings then people will come. 

I've been busy with school and live in a US time zone so I don't always make it during "peak" server times. However, I am working on decorating my cantina and plan to open it a lot even when only 5 people are on to get them something to do.  Would encourage other business owners to give that a try too if you own a place and only see 3 people on. Place an ad and see if anyone shows up. Maybe more people will log-in. 

That would be cool if you could do that with your cantina. And I believe @Vubstersmurf is planning on an event soon too.

If anyone needs resources to run an event let us know too. It just needs people willing to run them!

32 minutes ago, zoezoegigantic said:

I'm going to be producing events every week now that I have a PC once again, but I'm really interested in finding out what events people are wanting - whether it's just social or events such as competitons, racing etc. I will post an IC annoucement about that soon anyhow.

3 hours ago, Ivankov said:

On a practical level, the current playerbase needs to be more present in-game because outsiders will most likely skip the server and not bother registering let alone make an application to join if they see zero players online which is the case most of the time. Meaning everytime you're on your pc doing whatever (as I'm sure all of you play other games/watch videos/work on your pc), log in game even if you don't feel like playing just tab out and tab back in when you see more players. And if you're bothered by  "money farming" than maybe an AFK system needs to be implemented.

I completely agree, soon as people see others on they tend to jump on.

3 hours ago, DetectedStorm said:

unban everybody

update mta's ui and ux cuz it looks and feels so fking old like hud and login panel 

Do smth like the support team and make it easier to join

This is about the V server not MTA, as for unbanning everyone unfortunately it's not that simple since those permanently banned are often banned for a reason - we have been lenient with unbans however. We currently have no reason for a support team as of yet with current PB and demands.

I still believe we can do more in terms of outreach to newer players. I understand that we've recently had a trailer made, but this needs to be spread to people who would actually be interested in joining t the server. GTA/RP forums are a great way to do this, for example.

The server needs to be new player friendly too. We have the tutorial already in place, but joining the server is a bit of a dive. It's extremely difficult to actually build up money and get anywhere currently. If a player wants a nice car & house then it is a serious grind. The faction choices are limited too, with only a select few legal factions (who are limited to what they can actually do & RP), and the government factions. -- If a player is going to join the server for the first time then chances are they're going to be bored within about 10 minutes of playing, and just leave and never come back.

In terms of scripted jobs, rather than restrict them to level only, players should just have daily quotas. Much like a delivery company IRL, a person would only have X amount of items to deliver in a day. This would reduce people just spamming the scripted jobs. FT should, however, come up with a better and more engaging system for players to earn money through RP. I know that FT currently have the Legal VM system but I don't believe there's many people who are aware about the full extent of its use as it is mainly aimed toward businesses such as bars, restaurants etc. But due to the legal faction limitations, players imo should be able to RP what they want and get paid for it. For example, if a player wants to be a builder, they should be able to carry out the roleplay for the job and if it is sufficient, get paid a reasonable salary. 

Events are great to boost the playerbase, but they're not long-term and I don't think it's healthy to rely soley on events for players to join the server.

I do believe also that Illegal factions bring a lot of the RP and players. @ResidentPeach recently made an illegal faction and I've already seen a lot of support and players jump on it so I hope that factions such as these are encouraged more and supported to keep it going & active.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Ivankov said:

On a practical level, the current playerbase needs to be more present in-game because outsiders will most likely skip the server and not bother registering let alone make an application to join if they see zero players online which is the case most of the time. Meaning everytime you're on your pc doing whatever (as I'm sure all of you play other games/watch videos/work on your pc), log in game even if you don't feel like playing just tab out and tab back in when you see more players. And if you're bothered by  "money farming" than maybe an AFK system needs to be implemented.

Completely agree. Like I have said on discord a number of times, when Owl starts getting 30 players is the time it takes off. 30 is enough to attract outsiders to owl. There is no debate on which server is 'better', quality-wise, script-wise - OwlGaming is definitely better. However, the underlying problem is in the active playerbase. Adding to what @Ivankov said, I think it is the foremost responsibility of admins to be in-game even when there are zero players. Trend I have noticed is that (except for two admins), everyone else just logs in when the PB is up to 6 or 7. Effort needed from both sides and hopefully, we'll get there!

2 hours ago, Rauf said:

Completely agree. Like I have said on discord a number of times, when Owl starts getting 30 players is the time it takes off. 30 is enough to attract outsiders to owl. There is no debate on which server is 'better', quality-wise, script-wise - OwlGaming is definitely better. However, the underlying problem is in the active playerbase. Adding to what @Ivankov said, I think it is the foremost responsibility of admins to be in-game even when there are zero players. Trend I have noticed is that (except for two admins), everyone else just logs in when the PB is up to 6 or 7. Effort needed from both sides and hopefully, we'll get there!

Most people are not going to log in game when there is nothing to do just to wait for others to get online.

We need something that's going to get players engaged and in game regardless of the player count. i.e more features, more roleplay opportunities etc. Can't just blame it completely on the current community for not logging in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mogs said:

Most people are not going to log in game when there is nothing to do just to wait for others to get online.

We need something that's going to get players engaged and in game regardless of the player count. i.e more features, more roleplay opportunities etc. Can't just blame it completely on the current community for not logging in.

Could you be a bit more specific on that last bit? What would you see necessary to get more players into the game without having a player count? That'd be nice to know, so that we can anticipate on that. This can be just your personal opinion/view.

5 hours ago, Rauf said:

As much as this is true the script is better regarding stability but still has a long way to be above the other servers that are trending. If you really want to revive Owl as a whole community then you need to release way bigger scripts than just a fishing one. 

In general I've said this before, the whole clothing/face creation needs to be reworked on and advertising or sponsoring roleplay streamers/youtubers could help as well. It'll be hard for Owl to see it's former glory due to the simple fact it didn't end well on the launch day in 2019 and it's left a big impact since. I hope to see the community active once again but you've got a long way to go.

• Like 4

Hi all,

I am actively following this thread but also just wanted to give a quick update on customization.

We are currently working on a new character creator, as well as reworked barber shop, clothing stores, etc. These changes also include adding tattoos, hair tattoos, enabling more customization options (e.g. textures), and more.

More updates to follow.

Daniels

Edited by Daniels
  • Like 4

On 3/7/2020 at 3:11 PM, Squirdo said:

As much as this is true the script is better regarding stability but still has a long way to be above the other servers that are trending. If you really want to revive Owl as a whole community then you need to release way bigger scripts than just a fishing one. 

In general I've said this before, the whole clothing/face creation needs to be reworked on and advertising or sponsoring roleplay streamers/youtubers could help as well. It'll be hard for Owl to see it's former glory due to the simple fact it didn't end well on the launch day in 2019 and it's left a big impact since. I hope to see the community active once again but you've got a long way to go.

Gotta agree with Squirdo here... People tend to look for eye catching scripts and systems (Which could provide some activity for 'em)

And for that, I would suggest some mini games (specially card games such as blackjack, poker and etc... ) That could provide some opportunities for players/businesses and factions alike.

Then, even though not main priority but drugs will definitely gonna need a rework (at least a small system to manufacture drugs than simply making them to appear from a thin air).

For more quality of life additions I would highly recommend zoe's suggestions 

Apart from that. Give us an ability to store items/clothes inside the property (wardrobes/safes/wallets) because after a while an enormous amount of clothing and items in your inventory tends to be tiring to roll through.

Another suggestion would be to actually rework scripted jobs.
Make them more immersive and meaningful at certain point than simply driving from point to point... It's mind numbing task. Give us new routes, give us more small steps to take (load up our van comes up in mind, give us special "events" where a sudden order comes up and we have to go and pick it up... and so on and on, I am sure people would add more ideas if these things actually happened)

I would love to see this server to succeed, I really do, but we are not actually offering anything fun for people to do... 

I agree with the above on reworking scripted job. The scripted job that I have come to really enjoy is the fishing job and it is also great to roleplay with others in that job. I think jobs like that where they are still scripted but allow for more interaction with other players is going in a good direction.

2 hours ago, Effect said:

Another suggestion would be to actually rework scripted jobs.
Make them more immersive and meaningful at certain point than simply driving from point to point... It's mind numbing task. Give us new routes, give us more small steps to take (load up our van comes up in mind, give us special "events" where a sudden order comes up and we have to go and pick it up... and so on and on, I am sure people would add more ideas if these things actually happened)

I would love to see this server to succeed, I really do, but we are not actually offering anything fun for people to do... 

^ I also like what Effect wrote above and that might make it more interesting. It would be cool if there were a few different routes that are randomly assigned every time you do the GoPostal job so you are not always doing the same route each time you do GoPostal/etc. 

Edited by zoezoegigantic
  • Like 1

1; server advertising (paid)

2; lock down server and create a new release date

3; make sure the server runs stable at the new release

4: be less picky on the account validation questions ingame (took me 3 attempts and a lot of frustration even after 1200+hours of RP experience with THIS community including vG, Everlast and LSRP.

5:less expectations of RP skills on a freshly starting server.

6* this is probably your last shot ^

Good luck, I'm really looking forward to an up and running server.

-ex vG MTA admin but Daniels swatted and CK'd my character in LV during a boxing match.

Edited by Buzzi
grammarisabitch
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Buzzi said:

1; server advertising (paid)

2; lock down server and create a new release date

3; make sure the server runs stable at the new release

4: be less picky on the account validation questions ingame (took me 3 attempts and a lot of frustration even after 1200+hours of RP experience with THIS community including vG, Everlast and LSRP.

5:less expectations of RP skills on a freshly starting server.

6* this is probably your last shot ^

Good luck, I'm really looking forward to an up and running server.

-ex vG MTA admin but Daniels swatted and CK'd my character in LV during a boxing match.

I second nearly everything you said, having just returned after a good 2 or 3 year break. 

The server does seem fairly stable to me, having played on the GTA V server for about 20 hours, however doesn't feel entirely finished, car modifications in Los Santos Customs seems unfinished and cant seem to paint my Moonbeam?? An scripted jobs, like bus driving where your not always stopping at bus stops and have to make occasional U turns..? 

Although I have 1400hours on MTA I dont consider myself a great role player, however did pass the validation first time with help from the rule book. 

I do agree less expectations for new players is a good thing, everyone has to start somewhere, that's not put people off before they start. 

Would love to see Owl succeed, on V and MTA. 

Glad to see you wanted to return to Owl Buzzi and giving input. 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Buzzi said:

RIP :P

What was your name?

• Haha 1

I think that a good set of active teleplay activities needs to be made available.  Regular events should be organised by a team of people to make playing the server more interesting for everyone. For example, on LS:RP they had those disaster events once every few years which were really fun to see how the map changed and the new challenges your character faced due to the change of environment. 

• Like 1

If you were to ask me personally what I would want to be more active. It's simple I want access to pets, a dog without having to bypass a real paywall. Now keep in mind I've said this is a personal thing I do understand why it's a donator perk and it is very lovely that here once you buy it, you keep it rather than having to pay a subscription. 

However.... I can also morph this personal desire into a fantastic idea that would benefit the server. Now it was said to me you can obtain credits by obtaining achievements however I'm no so sure you can get enough credits via this method. 

I have also observed you are starting to do staff run events (aswell as promoting player run events) which is great! Although I saw in this fishing event the prize was $20,000. Now assuming this is a staff run event like I hear you're doing now.... This prize is rubbish with all due respect. With the current state of the server and at least when I was active most of what I'd do is farm script jobs and money while I wait for people to log in so I can try to find RP. So this money is useless to me and isn't a motivation to log in (The RP of the event however is a motivation I will admit) and I may be wrong but it's likely useless to anyone who's not a new player or even new players. I think you can afford to create more enticing prizes to encourage people to log in. 

So one idea would be offering prizes for events that are normally donator perks or hard to obtain. 

Another idea are competitions that may achieve credits although I'm not sure to what extent the server would be comfortable doing OOC competitions (Example share a screenshot of your RP, best one gets the prize) The reason I bring up OOC competitions on top of IC ones is because credits as a reward is an OOC thing. However as mentioned above a pet could be an IC reward easily (I don't know what other donator perks you offer)

And finally my master feedback / suggestion. Events are great! However we're thinking about encouraging people to be more active in general right? Over the long haul not just one hour of one specific day. And many people might not be able to attend that event even if they wanted to. So week long competitions might be something you'd want to consider, off the top of my head just a random idea and example but to give you an idea would be: You are allowed to submit one photograph a day, 3 entries will be awarded points per day (Or may per two days and you don't HAVE to submit every day keep in mind) at the end of the week the people with the most points win the competition and win prizes that people actually want and will actually be motivated to log in for..... So not 20k when in this climate I doubt people have a need for that 20k. 

So to drive home my point competitions like this might encourage people to log in throughout the week, they might log in for that prize they want but oh shucks! This might encourage multiple people to log in so the opportunity to find RP increases! And to get the most points you're gonna wanna find RP to get the best in this case photograph! So you log in to get the competition done and maybe stay logged in for the RP! Win for you, win for players, win for whoever wins the competition assuming you're providing a worthy prize of which you can afford to give out. You don't have to give everyone a super good prize (Example dog) but having a chance maybe per month? Per few weeks to grab something really nice you wouldn't otherwise be able to get might really help activity.  

• Like 4

Great feedback @Rafiki. From what I know @Vubstersmurf is working on giving out GC's(OOC GameCoins) as prizes on top of the money prize in the near future. 
You have some awesome ideas!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rafiki said:

If you were to ask me personally what I would want to be more active. It's simple I want access to pets, a dog without having to bypass a real paywall. Now keep in mind I've said this is a personal thing I do understand why it's a donator perk and it is very lovely that here once you buy it, you keep it rather than having to pay a subscription. 

However.... I can also morph this personal desire into a fantastic idea that would benefit the server. Now it was said to me you can obtain credits by obtaining achievements however I'm no so sure you can get enough credits via this method. 

I have also observed you are starting to do staff run events (aswell as promoting player run events) which is great! Although I saw in this fishing event the prize was $20,000. Now assuming this is a staff run event like I hear you're doing now.... This prize is rubbish with all due respect. With the current state of the server and at least when I was active most of what I'd do is farm script jobs and money while I wait for people to log in so I can try to find RP. So this money is useless to me and isn't a motivation to log in (The RP of the event however is a motivation I will admit) and I may be wrong but it's likely useless to anyone who's not a new player or even new players. I think you can afford to create more enticing prizes to encourage people to log in. 

So one idea would be offering prizes for events that are normally donator perks or hard to obtain. 

Another idea are competitions that may achieve credits although I'm not sure to what extent the server would be comfortable doing OOC competitions (Example share a screenshot of your RP, best one gets the prize) The reason I bring up OOC competitions on top of IC ones is because credits as a reward is an OOC thing. However as mentioned above a pet could be an IC reward easily (I don't know what other donator perks you offer)

And finally my master feedback / suggestion. Events are great! However we're thinking about encouraging people to be more active in general right? Over the long haul not just one hour of one specific day. And many people might not be able to attend that event even if they wanted to. So week long competitions might be something you'd want to consider, off the top of my head just a random idea and example but to give you an idea would be: You are allowed to submit one photograph a day, 3 entries will be awarded points per day (Or may per two days and you don't HAVE to submit every day keep in mind) at the end of the week the people with the most points win the competition and win prizes that people actually want and will actually be motivated to log in for..... So not 20k when in this climate I doubt people have a need for that 20k. 

So to drive home my point competitions like this might encourage people to log in throughout the week, they might log in for that prize they want but oh shucks! This might encourage multiple people to log in so the opportunity to find RP increases! And to get the most points you're gonna wanna find RP to get the best in this case photograph! So you log in to get the competition done and maybe stay logged in for the RP! Win for you, win for players, win for whoever wins the competition assuming you're providing a worthy prize of which you can afford to give out. You don't have to give everyone a super good prize (Example dog) but having a chance maybe per month? Per few weeks to grab something really nice you wouldn't otherwise be able to get might really help activity.  

1 hour ago, Jer said:

Great feedback @Rafiki. From what I know @Vubstersmurf is working on giving out GC's(OOC GameCoins) as prizes on top of the money prize in the near future. 
You have some awesome ideas!

^ Some GCs will be available at events now as well. We also offer GCs for things like youtube videos of you playing being posted, twitch streams, or helping us with mapping. You said you understand why it's a donator perk so I won't delve into that.

I like the idea about week long competitions too.

• Like 3

Just tried to jump back in game and start getting active again now there's more than 0 players online in an evening (Congrats on that improvement by the way) and it likely won't be popular but it's valid feedback. The experience of a returning player is very poor and I'm afraid it's demotivated me and I've decided to move onto other things. Which isn't a bash this is just feedback you might wanna evaluate for future players. So obviously I've lost everything apparently the rule has been in place for quite some time 14 days is your inactivity rule, how ever long it's been like that I was in hospital longer than 14 days so again as a returning player that's something that demotivates you. My issue isn't I was in hospital, it's that 14 days is nothing I could easily be in hospital for that length of time again or maybe even a holiday. But it wasn't the straw that broke my camels back. I was told I should've paid for credits and could've then protected my assets with those credits, this is kinda what did it for me. So there are things to buy with in game cash although it's limited really, from my perspective all the cool things and the only things I want and now NEED with the ability to protect your assets with real world money are all credit items and if you continue to add to that donator experience without adding anything cool to the "base game" you can buy with in game cash then I think it's really gonna hurt you in the long run. You need money or whatever but if a balance isn't found you'll lose much more than you'll gain.

I am giving feedback, although my experience has led me to other things I do still genuinely want the server to do well, some of the scripts you have are very unique and cool. My suggestion would be you start adding to the "base experience" it's an easy example to use so I'll use pets. Look at other games in the pet example usually you'd have maybe one pet or pet appearance you can buy with in game cash and then they'd have "skins" or variations on their store you can buy so the cool thing is still in the game but other variations are on their store, it's a balance. 

With protecting you assets with credits or however that works maybe you can protect one asset without paying real life money and then additional "protections" would cost credits.

In many games they offer a couple of character slots and then you buy additional character slots you may want in their "store" with real currency. 

That should get my point across a balance, because from my experience whether it's popular or not all the things I now want are obtained with credits and that doesn't make me want to give you my money, that makes me want to not play at all. 

My feedbacks are always long as hell but to finish it off I'll use Archeage as an example. I paid over 100 pound to get into the alpha back in the dayz so for a game I feel is worthy of my money I'll throw money at it. But upon launch they made many chances (it shouldn't of been a surprise to anyone) making it pay to win (All the stuff you are made to feel like you need was on the store) so instead of paying for that "cool" stuff many people just stopped playing. 

I really hope you take and read over this feedback for what it is and don't get too defensive about it, if I feel like I did (And explained) in the starting chapter then there will be other people who also think as I do. As I've tried to explain in the Archeage example. Also I think you should consider new features that make returning players feel less gimped, I actually do agree with the inactivity rule just not how you implement it. If you look at LSRP with their rule they have a balance don't they. Lose your property but your car. Not saying do it how they do it but you should think about finding a balance with all the features I've mentioned above.

Good luck and sorry for the books but I really want you to eventually get this server thriving. 

Edited by Rafiki
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rafiki said:

My issue isn't I was in hospital, it's that 14 days is nothing I could easily be in hospital for that length of time again or maybe even a holiday. 

Just note that if you have a friend you play with, you can make them a copy of the keys and ask them to "house sit". Aka enter your property for you while you're away and enter your vehicle. The rule is 14 days of the vehicle/property being UNUSED. So another person using it keeps the stat active.

If you're offline for over 30 days then it's removed regardless. A month is fairly reasonable (and so is 2 weeks imo).

• Like 2

On 3/6/2020 at 9:06 PM, Ivankov said:

Give this man a medal.

Exactly my thoughts, Discord is active but nobody bothers joining the server - yet everyone mocks it for low playerbase.
It will not grow without some effort. - Just look at it, would you join it if it had 0 players and be on alone? No... Whenever there is at least 10 people, new people are coming in to check it out and that's how it grows, slowly but still grows.
Can't say the server has been dead lately, because it hasn't been, there are a few players playing daily, keeping it up but still, we need more.
How about we all just ignore our other games we play and hop on and do some roleplay?
I am almost completely sure, many of you who haven't even tried it would love it - it's a brilliant project with a lot of potential and I can tell you one thing for sure, the developers are putting in lots and lots of effort into this project so people, please... Let's stop crying because of MTA being gone, we've got a new era of OwlGaming here, let's make it as remarkable as MTA.

• Like 1