Sign in to follow this  
Sons

Difference between light, medium and high roleplay

Well, I guess this discussion requires a pretty complex answer on this point.
But to simplify, it all comes down to mentality of how much of real life/realism you can reflect on a video game. Heavy RP puts a HUGE focus on these things, not to mention character and faction development and it's kept under a strict control not only of administration but the community as well. For a "medium" roleplay. There's quite fragile balance in between of heavy and light RP trying to balance in between casual and experienced roleplayers alike (follow fundamental rules of roleplay and have a good grasp about them at least). Light RP... Well, it's RPG to be honest. People tend to imitate roleplay, but it all ends up being gang wars or cops and robbers style servers with no strict restrictions what can be achieved by players. In the end, there's more focus on a fun factor than roleplay in general.

• Like 3

I'm in agreement with @Effect here with what he's said. Personally, I'm of the more 'heavy' variety when it comes to RP. Unfortunately, I have a hard time interacting with those who aren't so much.  It's difficult to take them or their char seriously. As I am LSPD, if, for example, someone decides it'd be reasonable to evade on a simple traffic stop for what would be a minor infraction, possibly verbal warning, turning into felony evasion. 

Edited by ShadowSix
  • Like 2

I've seen this discussion transpire 101 times, it's always a cancerous discussion.  BUT, for the sake of discussion, here's my views,

Heavy RP - Semi realism, intricate script & intricate factions.  Admins are completely uninvolved with the roleplay in which rules were not broken.  IC and OOC don't mix.  There are currently no English speaking heavy text based roleplay servers in RageMP.

Medium RP - Semi realism, half assed script, half assed factions.  There's a handful of those.
Light RP - Cops and Robbers servers.

Edited by Townie
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 12:41 PM, Effect said:

Well, I guess this discussion requires a pretty complex answer on this point.
But to simplify, it all comes down to mentality of how much of real life/realism you can reflect on a video game. Heavy RP puts a HUGE focus on these things, not to mention character and faction development and it's kept under a strict control not only of administration but the community as well. For a "medium" roleplay. There's quite fragile balance in between of heavy and light RP trying to balance in between casual and experienced roleplayers alike (follow fundamental rules of roleplay and have a good grasp about them at least). Light RP... Well, it's RPG to be honest. People tend to imitate roleplay, but it all ends up being gang wars or cops and robbers style servers with no strict restrictions what can be achieved by players. In the end, there's more focus on a fun factor than roleplay in general.

1. Why do you think, that heavy it's real life?

2. Light RP - little RPG, fun (it have pros and cons like everything); i agree with you, but not every light rp server can ends up being gang wars or cops and robbbers, is more freedom, but it's IC things too and heavy can't have freedom and be heavy and high quality roleplay?

Edited by Sons

2 minutes ago, Sons said:

1. Why do you think, that heavy it's real life?

2. Light RP - little RPG, fun (it have pros and cons like everything); i agree with you, but not every light rp server can ends up being gang wars or cops and robbbers, is more freedom, but it's IC things too and heavy can't have freedom and be heavy and high quality roleplay?

I am not sure what you mean on this one, but I tend to believe that heavy RP communities tends to have a strict and extensive list of rules that must be followed at all times, of course it's my own subjective opinion that was formed over my own experiences in numerous communities (mostly private projects and one community based on Vampire The Masquerade universe). These said communities used to have a fairly steep learning curve (or at least that's my impression because you wouldn't believe how many books I had to read to even role play a single role...)

2. Not every light RP server? Please elaborate, because I simply cannot think of one who didn't end up being like this. Too much freedom is not always the best as you might think.

1 hour ago, Effect said:

I am not sure what you mean on this one, but I tend to believe that heavy RP communities tends to have a strict and extensive list of rules that must be followed at all times, of course it's my own subjective opinion that was formed over my own experiences in numerous communities (mostly private projects and one community based on Vampire The Masquerade universe). These said communities used to have a fairly steep learning curve (or at least that's my impression because you wouldn't believe how many books I had to read to even role play a single role...)

2. Not every light RP server? Please elaborate, because I simply cannot think of one who didn't end up being like this. Too much freedom is not always the best as you might think.

1. That's true, but maybe we are used to such solutions? Heavy roleplay server can have more freedom and be hight quality server too

2. It's really depends on owner, how does he understand light rp, how it will be looks etc   /Too much freedom is not always the best as you might think./ - yes and no, btw.... why tou think that?

7 hours ago, Sons said:

1. That's true, but maybe we are used to such solutions? Heavy roleplay server can have more freedom and be hight quality server too

2. It's really depends on owner, how does he understand light rp, how it will be looks etc   /Too much freedom is not always the best as you might think./ - yes and no, btw.... why tou think that?

Answer is simple. Maybe it might be a bit tad radical, but... 

I tend to think about players - People who tend to play here. Not everyone has countless of hours/years of experience up in their sleeve when it comes down to roleplay, not to mention everyone has different motives when it comes down to it. I've seen much stronger communities falling apart or getting corrupted just because players base go full retarded not only on the administration but RP standards too. 

• Like 1

The word "Freedom" keeps being thrown around but make no mistake that there is a stark difference between "freedom" and "realism".

10 hours ago, ShadowSix said:

The word "Freedom" keeps being thrown around but make no mistake that there is a stark difference between "freedom" and "realism".

Indeed there is! And that's one of the most important factor to discuss and rate here. Too much freedom on the community side can either make the community prosper and flourish... Or make it to degrade yourself, mimicking a somewhat sarcastic vision of real life. 

• Light Role Play 
    • Little to no realism , very light with scripting, very light with needed actions to role play what you are doing and to me more sided towards a death match or stunt server.
  • Medium Role Play
    • Little Amounts of Role Play , typically what most servers are now due to the mass amounts of death matching and lack of knowledge on role play that people have out there and people don't take these servers that seriously and if they do they are for gang / cop death match and power hungry people.
  • Heavy Role Play
    • What Owl Gaming strives to be. Realistic feeling, scripting to make things more realistic and providing jobs, living and doing realistic actions and role playing even when you are on your own. This is typically a server that is for those who really care about role play and taking the time to have a character story.

Light RP I associate with roleplay that doesn't really involve a lot of text, or minimal text roleplay. I think of it as basically playing the game, and your characters do what they do in the game. Say you do Maw of Lorkhaj. Light RP would be basically what your characters do in the maw outside of guild chat, or maybe including guild chat. It might provoke some guild banter like "Hey, remember when Oglorg got knocked off the cliff by that Anka'Ra last week? Are your legs fixed?"  cps test

This also goes with your other systems of roleplay that go the same way. Garry's Mod's infamous DarkRP, Trouble in Terrorist Town, and others are prime examples of this.

Medium RP is something interesting, and I don't know where to throw the line. I 'personally' throw it out there for things like your hardcore tabletop groups. The ones where roleplaying is secondary, and min-maxing the game is the primary. Like, yeah, we'll roleplay - but only so far as my OoC goals deciding what I do. We roll the dice, we hit the shit, we get out. Keep it simple lads. This is probably biased, or outright silly, but it's just where my head sits.

And then Heavy RP is any RP that's almost entirely text-based, focused on emotes, and set within a specific setting.

Edited by CaroleLovett
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, CaroleLovett said:

Light RP I associate with roleplay that doesn't really involve a lot of text, or minimal text roleplay. I think of it as basically playing the game, and your characters do what they do in the game. Say you do Maw of Lorkhaj. Light RP would be basically what your characters do in the maw outside of guild chat, or maybe including guild chat. It might provoke some guild banter like "Hey, remember when Oglorg got knocked off the cliff by that Anka'Ra last week? Are your legs fixed?"

This also goes with your other systems of roleplay that go the same way. Garry's Mod's infamous DarkRP, Trouble in Terrorist Town, and others are prime examples of this.

Medium RP is something interesting, and I don't know where to throw the line. I 'personally' throw it out there for things like your hardcore tabletop groups. The ones where roleplaying is secondary, and min-maxing the game is the primary. Like, yeah, we'll roleplay - but only so far as my OoC goals deciding what I do. We roll the dice, we hit the shit, we get out. Keep it simple lads. This is probably biased, or outright silly, but it's just where my head sits.

And then Heavy RP is any RP that's almost entirely text-based, focused on emotes, and set within a specific setting.

Agreed actually. At least on the part of Heavy RP.

Used to RP in different games myself (Guild Wars 2, forum based communities surrounding Vampire The Masquerade and WoW). There's simply a huge emphasis on set of rules and sub rules if that does make any sense, but it tries to... Gather a niche part of players who wants to enjoy a lore and setting of a certain game. It might not be for everyone but it's just how it goes most of times.