JameZ

[Interior Inactivity For Businesses] - Revise

Has my vote. Good suggestion and it's a pretty big problem seeing as how most club interiors are owned by factions who do nothing with it. Makes it harder for other businesses to use those properties to create roleplay with for the common player.

Pretty sure the current interior inactivity rule covers this. If someone owns a business and keeps it locked, doesn't open it and shows no activity for an extended period of time, you can report to get it investigated and force sold by an admin. Not sure if I misinterpreted any of your suggestion.

Just now, JohnM said:

Pretty sure the current interior inactivity rule covers this. If someone owns a business and keeps it locked, doesn't open it and shows no activity for an extended period of time, you can report to get it investigated and force sold by an admin. Not sure if I misinterpreted any of your suggestion.

Nope, not how it currently works. The way it currently works is based on the user's activity and not the business itself, I've re-confirmed this with Chaos a while back. So you can basically hoard a business for a year if you're simply active in-game without the need to use your business.

Having some kind of requirement to run the business is something I entirely disagree with. There are plenty of properties in the sever for our population and this would be incredibly restrictive. Someone could spend months or years gathering the money they'd require to buy a prominent location and because they decide not to run the business / bar / club over the course of 30 days, despite being active otherwise, it would just be force sold? No way. That is far too much OOC encroachment on something that is otherwise an entirely IC thing. People have to pay taxes and it eats up interior slots and even pay for interior inactivity protection in some cases, there are other factors at play here. If you really want a certain piece of property, offer to buy it from them...

Buying property off someone also reminds me of a good point, this would make realtors for business properties non-existent and basically OOCly restricted.

As JohnM already stated, this is covered in the rules. If the player is inactive for 30 days or someone does not go inside within 14 days, then it is force sold. If that player then does not roleplay and just logs on to use the interior to avoid the inactivity selling, then it is eligible to be sold.

2 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

Having some kind of requirement to run the business is something I entirely disagree with. There are plenty of properties in the sever for our population and this would be incredibly restrictive. Someone could spend months or years gathering the money they'd require to buy a prominent location and because they decide not to run the business / bar / club over the course of 30 days, despite being active otherwise, it would just be force sold? No way. That is far too much OOC encroachment on something that is otherwise an entirely IC thing. People have to pay taxes and it eats up interior slots and even pay for interior inactivity protection in some cases, there are other factors at play here. If you really want a certain piece of property, offer to buy it from them...

Buying property off someone also reminds me of a good point, this would make realtors for business properties non-existent and basically OOCly restricted.

As JohnM already stated, this is covered in the rules. If the player is inactive for 30 days or someone does not go inside within 14 days, then it is force sold. If that player then does not roleplay and just logs on to use the interior to avoid the inactivity selling, then it is eligible to be sold.

While I do agree with some of the points you've mentioned. I'll give you an example of what should apply to this rule, player A buys off a bar at a very convenient location on an X character, this player however roleplays on their second character (Y). This player continues to switch to that character over the course of 14 days once just to reset the inactivity timer, and hoards this business for a period longer than four months without running it once; destroying roleplay opportunities other players could've provided. There's surely people who pay for interior inactivity protection is which is completely fine, that shouldn't apply to this rule.

What I am trying to say is that these players regardless are not paying any taxes whatsoever, because they're not using that character to begin with. There's also no good in-character way to find out who owns a property, let alone finding an in-character way to contact them. The rule is account-based and not character-based, and that's what a lot of players tend to abuse about this rule.

14 minutes ago, JameZ said:

While I do agree with some of the points you've mentioned. I'll give you an example of what should apply to this rule, player A buys off a bar at a very convenient location on an X character, this player however roleplays on their second character (Y). This player continues to switch to that character over the course of 14 days once just to reset the inactivity timer, and hoards this business for a period longer than four months without running it once; destroying roleplay opportunities other players could've provided. There's surely people who pay for interior inactivity protection is which is completely fine, that shouldn't apply to this rule.

What I am trying to say is that these players regardless are not paying any taxes whatsoever, because they're not using that character to begin with. There's also no good in-character way to find out who owns a property, let alone finding an in-character way to contact them. The rule is account-based and not character-based, and that's what a lot of players tend to abuse about this rule. 

That's already prevented by the language that exists in the server rules. Additionally, there are lots of interiors in the world. I know for example right now someone is trying to sell the Pig Pen and they're unable to. The demand really isn't that high. If I'm honest, this sounds like you're suggesting this because of a situation that personally affected you, not being able to get a specific interior. If that's not true, then I'd be surprised. This is not meant to be a slight against you but I find this is often why rules similar to this exist, out of personal situations not because it's a systemic issue that truly hurts the server and or the roleplay of it.

If someone is keeping an interior and avoiding inactivity protection and not playing, that's no bueno, but if someone legitimately owns a property, especially personally and not as a faction, and they're active, but decide not to open it, that's an entirely different and perfectly valid scenario. If they wanna have it eat up their slots and taxes, good for them, it's their loss. We can't make rules in an attempt to turn everyone into perfect roleplayers, or roleplay in a fashion that comes down to personal preference. Ultimately, it's a game.

I think we both fully understand each-others points though.