Daniels

Developer Diary #8 - Major Milestone

@Chaos will the O friends list be shared between the two platforms? I, as everyone, got a extensive friends list on MTA, and would like to know if it'll be there on V as well as if i add someone in mta or V, it'll show on the other platform (since the accounts are the same). If this is the case, when i log, will it show i'm playing as X character like it does on MTA as well as tell which platform i'm on? Say: "XXX is playing as YYY in RAGE:MP/MTA". [I know this is some sort off big resources being wasted, but it's just a question i have for all of you devs.]

P.S.: Soz for tagging 😬

9 minutes ago, TheNeonGuy said:

@Chaos will the O friends list be shared between the two platforms? I, as everyone, got a extensive friends list on MTA, and would like to know if it'll be there on V as well as if i add someone in mta or V, it'll show on the other platform (since the accounts are the same). If this is the case, when i log, will it show i'm playing as X character like it does on MTA as well as tell which platform i'm on? Say: "XXX is playing as YYY in RAGE:MP/MTA". [I know this is some sort off big resources being wasted, but it's just a question i have for all of you devs.]

P.S.: Soz for tagging 😬

No they won’t be shared. We do support Discord integration on V however so you can see when your friends are playing on OwlV from there. Might be a friends list at some point in the future.

also wondering about housing and so on. High-end, mid-end and low-end housing as what i remember paleto only has couple decent houses with no cracks in the wall and so on.

2 hours ago, Gazzeh said:

also wondering about housing and so on. High-end, mid-end and low-end housing as what i remember paleto only has couple decent houses with no cracks in the wall and so on.

There's quite a few decent houses in Paleto. There is also some luxury villas and fancy looking homes. I personally would fret over luxuries in the beginning, because everyone is starting from scratch and would need to find means of establishing themselves first (i.e a starting home in a trailer park or some motel room, some shitty cheap car, finding a source of income, etc).

1 hour ago, DrJoseEviI said:

There's quite a few decent houses in Paleto. There is also some luxury villas and fancy looking homes. I personally would fret over luxuries in the beginning, because everyone is starting from scratch and would need to find means of establishing themselves first (i.e a starting home in a trailer park or some motel room, some shitty cheap car, finding a source of income, etc).

my questions are aimed at the further future, not for the beginning :)

2 hours ago, Gazzeh said:

my questions are aimed at the further future, not for the beginning :)

As far as I’m aware player area will expand as the playerbase does.

What are your plans for mapping? Because Paleto Bay won't exactly supply an environment for every kind of roleplay so additions might be required off the bat. Or you expect people to adapt until avarege server population actually calls for expanding in which case you add lacking ecosystems or move to Los Santos?

2 hours ago, McCatalyst said:

What are your plans for mapping? Because Paleto Bay won't exactly supply an environment for every kind of roleplay so additions might be required off the bat. Or you expect people to adapt until avarege server population actually calls for expanding in which case you add lacking ecosystems or move to Los Santos?

What does it lack for?

3 hours ago, DrJoseEviI said:

What does it lack for?

-Projects type of setting for lowest income roleplayers

-High income area for ballers
Most of the area is average income and Industrial. half and half

So unless we all roleplay Lumberjacks and coal miners I feel we're lacking.

I'm alright with adapting, just curious.

5 minutes ago, McCatalyst said:

To be honest, you are right on this one. Yet, I feel that on release, already developed factions and players alike will spread out to Sandy Shores and surrounding territory around Paleto Bay (Sandy Shores got a decent motel at least in regards of projects like environment if I remember correctly), but high income area could be an issue.

13 minutes ago, Effect said:

To be honest, you are right on this one. Yet, I feel that on release, already developed factions and players alike will spread out to Sandy Shores and surrounding territory around Paleto Bay (Sandy Shores got a decent motel at least in regards of projects like environment if I remember correctly), but high income area could be an issue.

Hopefully spreading out won't cause Los Santos effect though. Because  50 players across Blaine county might be even worse than 50 players in Los Santos county.

Just for the idea if people are curious where half and half comes from, because at least half of the industrial area can be cut down.

cc464e-GTA5%202015-12-01%2013-11-11-04.jpg

8 hours ago, McCatalyst said:

There's quite a few high end homes along the outskirts of Paleto, similar to the homes on stilts in Vinewood. There aren't any projects, but there are several motels nearby, a massive hobocamp and a few run down homes. One thing to keep in mind is we're obviously not going to stay in Paleto forever, by the time people will be able to afford high end things we'll likely already have expanded to Sandy Shores or further (expansion would also encompass the shittier areas too)

12 minutes ago, DrJoseEviI said:

There's quite a few high end homes along the outskirts of Paleto, similar to the homes on stilts in Vinewood. There aren't any projects, but there are several motels nearby, a massive hobocamp and a few run down homes. One thing to keep in mind is we're obviously not going to stay in Paleto forever, by the time people will be able to afford high end things we'll likely already have expanded to Sandy Shores or further (expansion would also encompass the shittier areas too)

That's positive thinking. but if we average 50 -100 players expanding won't do no good. The reason to even choose paleto is to increase the density of of players in close proximity and when people start talking about expanding to Sandy shores or whole county area this goal is lost and it will end up same as RPing in Los Santos. Why MTA and GTA San Andreas is so successful of keeping  interaction high is because everything is around the corner since the scale of the map is skewed due technical limitations at the time when game was made which then turned out to be best thing for MTA anmd relatively low player bases.

That's why I raised the question of mapping since that would be one way to keep everything "around the corner" since you can diversify the area. Because as much as I love driving in GTA V I think people would get fed up with driving more than RPing. 

Also the interaction can be manipulated by making sure that points of interest and their routes overlap if we'd for example roleplay in Los Santos. which would require some deeper analyzing when choosing where to put what interiors and activities.

TL;DR

Custom mapping would diversify the immediate Paleto Bay area (shown in picture on my previous post) therefore making people stick close to one another. That way making the experience much more immersive and genuine. 

That's positive thinking. but if we average 50 -100 players expanding won't do no good. The reason to even choose paleto is to increase the density of of players in close proximity and when people start talking about expanding to Sandy shores or whole county area this goal is lost and it will end up same as RPing in Los Santos. Why MTA and GTA San Andreas is so successful of keeping  interaction high is because everything is around the corner since the scale of the map is skewed due technical limitations at the time when game was made which then turned out to be best thing for MTA anmd relatively low player bases.

That's why I raised the question of mapping since that would be one way to keep everything "around the corner" since you can diversify the area. Because as much as I love driving in GTA V I think people would get fed up with driving more than RPing. 

Also the interaction can be manipulated by making sure that points of interest and their routes overlap if we'd for example roleplay in Los Santos. which would require some deeper analyzing when choosing where to put what interiors and activities.

TL;DR

Custom mapping would diversify the immediate Paleto Bay area (shown in picture on my previous post) therefore making people stick close to one another. That way making the experience much more immersive and genuine. 

I see what you mean. In regards to expansion, I’m sure it won’t occur just because of a “script” suggestion or people want it. I’m guessing it will occur to meet physical demand, such as all/most residential interiors being owned in Paleto, a need to expand to the closest residential area such as Sandy Shores may be needed. Now, not manny people understand how mapping on V differs from MTA but in the future I’ll be making a detailed tutorial for the mapping system on V, recommended mapping programs, etc.

The major issue that everyone one will encounter or discover, which we have Rockstar to blame is that the map/object system on V is assbackward from GTA SA. 99.99% of all exterior world geometry/models do not have collisions embedded in their model files, they are loaded separately in large chunks because of potato PCs being a big thing. If you were to drive on a highway, you’re driving on a invisible collision plane that is physically separate from the road you are seeing (which is essentially a high quality model that is no-collided and in the same physical space of the collision you’re driving on). If you know what Level of Detail (LOD) models are, you’ll notice the farther away you get from certain models or areas, they’re quickly swapped with much lower detail/quality models to save on FPS and performance issues. 

TLDR, most if not all exterior (and some majority of interiors) buildings, roadways and architecture do not have collisions built in to the models themselves. Exterior mapping will be very picky and tougher than a Rubik’s cube 

Edited by DrJoseEviI

6 hours ago, DrJoseEviI said:

I see what you mean. In regards to expansion, I’m sure it won’t occur just because of a “script” suggestion or people want it. I’m guessing it will occur to meet physical demand, such as all/most residential interiors being owned in Paleto, a need to expand to the closest residential area such as Sandy Shores may be needed. Now, not manny people understand how mapping on V differs from MTA but in the future I’ll be making a detailed tutorial for the mapping system on V, recommended mapping programs, etc.

The major issue that everyone one will encounter or discover, which we have Rockstar to blame is that the map/object system on V is assbackward from GTA SA. 99.99% of all exterior world geometry/models do not have collisions embedded in their model files, they are loaded separately in large chunks because of potato PCs being a big thing. If you were to drive on a highway, you’re driving on a invisible collision plane that is physically separate from the road you are seeing (which is essentially a high quality model that is no-collided and in the same physical space of the collision you’re driving on). If you know what Level of Detail (LOD) models are, you’ll notice the farther away you get from certain models or areas, they’re quickly swapped with much lower detail/quality models to save on FPS and performance issues. 

TLDR, most if not all exterior (and some majority of interiors) buildings, roadways and architecture do not have collisions built in to the models themselves. Exterior mapping will be very picky and tougher than a Rubik’s cube 

Now you're talking my language. So mapping would be a bitch and a half to do then because for one building you'd have to place the image then find appropriate colliding object or objects because one might not cover the whole structure and fit them in the texture so they'd be on the edge but still hidden which then would hog the whole server and clients because of the amount of extra objects? Technical limitation is a good  reason why adapting is much better option. 

I'll be waiting on that video since I'm curious. 

Edited by McCatalyst

Now you're talking my language. So mapping would be a bitch and a half to do then because for one building you'd have to place the image then find appropriate colliding object or objects because one might not cover the whole structure and fit them in the texture so they'd be on the edge but still hidden which then would hog the whole server and clients because of the amount of extra objects? Technical limitation is a good  reason why adapting is much better option. 

I'll be waiting on that video since I'm curious. 

Pretty much