ItsMelodyy

[Vehicles] - Removing the "imgur" restriction from vehicle textures.

OwlGaming.png

Script Suggestion

What would be the name of the script(s)?-

Removing the "imgur" restriction from vehicle textures.

What kind of script(s) are you suggesting?-
Vehicles

What is the suggestion?-
Currently, if you want to apply a vehicle wrap to a vehicle, it has to be uploaded to imgur and the link has to be the direct one. This suggestion would remove the URL Lock that's currently on there. So that other picture uploading services could also be used, including those amongst us who use our own server and domain to showcase screenshots. Allowing for some players to access old links easier.

What are the advantages?-
More freedom when it comes to uploading and applying wraps and more manageability for the player. Also just easier all-around.

What are the disadvantages?-

Don't see any. Though if people think of any I'd love to hear it.

Do you have any resources to support our scripters in making said suggestion?-
Nope.

How would you go about implementing this idea?-
Let scripting team work their magic.

PVIotAu.png

Just make it so you can't place GIFs. I'd also like to have it working with interior textures, doe there i'd like the ability to have GIF textures if accepted by a admin (for nightclub dance floors and stuff like that).

let's say you got a website called https://www.example.com/ and you decided to upload your texture called tex.png so the link would be https://www.example.com/tex.png.

so you using that texture ingame for your vehicle wrap, then you decide to re-upload a different texture with the same name, wouldn't that be a way to abuse the texture script and use a new texture for your vehicle whenever you want? With Imgur, you can't change the picture you upload, I'm not with or against this suggestion, I'm only stating how it's so easy to abuse it.

think it was locked due to how it's scripted, but yeah, it could be abused as explained previously, as it caches in a player's game so it could cache different image for different players when manipulated

I don't see the point behind this. It's useless. It's not like imgur is paid or something, it's totally free so shouldn't be much of a problem.

1 hour ago, FAILCAKEZ said:

I have heard some countries have imgur banned, so it's inaccessible for these people. However, alternative option for these people could be implemented, something similar to imgur.

Could simply have someone else upload the image.

This suggestion in my eyes is useless. Pretty sure the imgur limitation was placed there for a reason because it wasn't originally there. No reason to undo it.

44 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Could simply have someone else upload the image.

This is not user-friendly in any way, as you would have to take the extra step if you just happen to be geographically located in a country, which simply doesn't allow imgur to be accessed.

Just now, FAILCAKEZ said:

This is not user-friendly in any way, as you would have to take the extra step if you just happen to be geographically located in a country, which simply doesn't allow imgur to be accessed.

Takes two seconds and really is no issue.

Imgur have been working since 2009 that's a whole 10 years without any issues & they had a good income actually. You can't know if there's going to be any other site going to have a similar experience for a straight 10 years. 

On 1/2/2019 at 5:34 PM, DaLuppo said:

let's say you got a website called https://www.example.com/ and you decided to upload your texture called tex.png so the link would be https://www.example.com/tex.png.

so you using that texture ingame for your vehicle wrap, then you decide to re-upload a different texture with the same name, wouldn't that be a way to abuse the texture script and use a new texture for your vehicle whenever you want? With Imgur, you can't change the picture you upload, I'm not with or against this suggestion, I'm only stating how it's so easy to abuse it.

I thought it was uploading the files server-side and using those files to apply the texture using the script. Not sure if it caches player-side. I've repeatedly replaced files I used on skins with new skin files and I haven't seen anything like this arise.

On 1/7/2019 at 6:52 AM, Axa said:

Imgur have been working since 2009 that's a whole 10 years without any issues & they had a good income actually. You can't know if there's going to be any other site going to have a similar experience for a straight 10 years. 

uwotm8.png

On 1/2/2019 at 10:26 PM, Unitts said:

Its restricted for a reason.

No.

What's the reason then?

On 1/2/2019 at 6:15 PM, disappoint said:

think it was locked due to how it's scripted, but yeah, it could be abused as explained previously, as it caches in a player's game so it could cache different image for different players when manipulated

I've repeatedly replaced the .jpg files I used on skins and wallpapers and such. I haven't seen any issue with the texture magically being replaced.

Edited by ItsMelodyy

11 hours ago, ItsMelodyy said:

I thought it was uploading the files server-side and using those files to apply the texture using the script. Not sure if it caches player-side. I've repeatedly replaced files I used on skins with new skin files and I haven't seen anything like this arise.

Yeah no, textures are downloaded on the client's PC and you apparently didn't understand what I was trying to say.

40 minutes ago, DaLuppo said:

Yeah no, textures are downloaded on the client's PC and you apparently didn't understand what I was trying to say.

I understood what you meant.