Should this be a thing  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should this be a thing

• No
    • Idea 1
    • Idea 2

Yeah! 
We need this!

I use a custom NPC at my Bar (Full of Pizzas n other custom food) (60-70 Custom Items +/-) Then another one in my Pawn shop with again 70 items, and one at my Nightclub to sell VIP Tickets.

They eat $200 in total per hour, and it's stupid. - Basically at the end of the day, I need to pay the NPCs 5k.

It could be also made, that if your shop is locked, you don't need to pay your NPC for the hour.

But I'd go ahead with any of the two idea's, second one is better but the first one is cool aswell.
10% of the price of the item you sold goes to the NPC and fuck off NPC.
Cuz my NPC's by now are millionaires.

Edited by Neptune

5 minutes ago, Neptune said:

... It could be also made, that if your shop is locked, you don't need to pay your NPC for the hour. ...

The custom shops already work like that if you close the shop custom NPC will not take money on payslip.

@Unitts I like the idea 1 and I think would be easier to implement, but I could not understand how idea 2 works can you explain it to me please, I mean imagine that I have the 45 products, and one gets sold how much it will take from that time sold?

PVIotAu.png

1 hour ago, SuperM said:

but I could not understand how idea 2 works can you explain it to me please, I mean imagine that I have the 45 products, and one gets sold how much it will take from that time sold?

The concept with Idea 2 is that the NPC would take a percentage of the item being sold

I hope this would get implemented, would really help alot... specially i lik the idea 2 but eitherway is fine.

Edited by Poikakukko123

I support idea 2 100% and have been a proponent of this kind of change for a long time. The way it works now initially was not a bad idea, we needed SOME way to pay the NPC employees, but there are a few fundamental flaws which I'll point out.

The NPC wage, in general, is very expensive, even a reduction of paying them ever 6 hours does not solve the issue, it just prolongs it. The wage should be done in a manner which promotes roleplay and commerce among players and the buying and selling of goods, generic items, etc. Player shops which sell non-script items should be way more common. The fact that there are not many shows how this is already an issue. The normal shop NPCs already function this way and they are clearly very successful and function well. When an item is bought, a portion of the proceeds is automatically deducted as part of the NPC's wage. The generic shop NPC should function exactly the same. They should both intuitively work the same.

The main issue with the way generic NPCs work aside from them not having any continuity with the way other shop NPCs work is they create a vicious cycle and make it nearly impossible to provide items for sale which are inexpensive or low-profit margin or which have a lower demand than super common items, which in reality is the way nearly all retail stores make their money, through volume and availability of product.

The cycle works like this, a player creates a shop, they load up items on it for sale. It starts ticking down at least $22.5 every hour. Any more than 5 items and it increases by $1 so they try to keep as few items in the store as possible despite the fact that RPly there would be much more available for sale. This lack of selection means that people don't go to the store as often which means you ultimately sell less in the store and end up losing money. Rinse and repeat.

Ez pz version:

Stock less items to prevent losing as much money  >  Less stock means less customers  >  Less customers means losing money  >  Continually lose money

(And if you try to stock more items to make the shop more appealing to players, with our current player base, there simply aren't enough customers buying non-script items to still make a profit. I would argue that if the numbers are run, if this system was applied to script shops, nearly all of them would be losing money as well. There will always naturally be a lower demand for non-script items, so, it's an inherently flawed system.)

This is at times prevented for short periods of time by stocking items and getting lucky selling products that are in hot demand, like safes or speakers, but that usually means low profit or barely able to keep afloat. (this also means that the kinds of items you're able to sell and make money from if at all, is limited, when we should want more item variety for sale anyway.) Most script shops currently only make a few hundred bucks every day, so there's no way roleplay items with less script value would sell any better and thus make money. More items should be sold through in-game shops rather than importing solely.

Generic shops should work on commission, just like regular script stores.

A perfect example of this which I've experienced recently is @ResidentPeach's church shop. At many churches, they have available for sale small knick-knacks like cross necklaces, statues, rosary beads, etc. These are very low profit and low-value items but they contribute to the RP of the server (in this case, people in Las Colinas who have these necklaces and rosary beads are known to have higher standing in the community cause they attend church, etc). Several things were stocked and despite most of the Las Colinas community, which is decently sized due to the Cartel Faction, buying items, ResidentPeach's shop lost a substantial amount of money, even losing the NPC and all the items inside within a few days, forcing him to remake the NPC.

The way it currently works is just not conducive to legal roleplay and it hurts the sector substantially.

I’m more in support of the first idea in combination with decreasing the amount charged specifically for low item shops. The second idea is too generous and will result in a polar opposite of what we have now. Instead of having barely any shops, we’d have many shops all without proper stocking.

Shops would exist just because they can, not because the owner actually cares to run them. Not selling anything costs them nothing more than the taxes and makes it easier to leave the shop alone letting it run dry on stock if it’s not successful. The current system at least incentivizes business owners to care about running their shop since it costs them money whether they are profitable or not. 

Perhaps others are forgetting how you used to be able to rack up millions from running shops since there were virtually no downsides. profit was profit no matter the scale. The current system doesn’t help this either as it makes it nearly impossible for small shops to exist at all, only allowing the larger shops to make a profit.

The first idea along with doing a very low wage charge for shops with < 30 items or so would make it profitable for players to own small businesses that still have SOME business without making it an unrealistic cash in that is easy to let the stock run dry on.

I reiterate that doing idea 2 would completely remove the ‘running a business’ portion of the shop system.